The Mini WWII Project: Or How I Hurt My Back and Learned to Love Featherweight Knives Again

I wonder what the Kami could do with a cardboard model made up. It wouldn't have certain features, since you couldn't really get the cross-section on the handle on it, but one could at least get the general blade shape drawn up that way.

Thank ya:) I've actually started carving one out of wood. Once upon a time, sending a wood model over to the kamis resulted in the most true to form production prototype. I remember our late great friend Yvsa working diligently to make what would become the Cherokee Rose out of wood. If I remember correctly, Uncle Bill teased him and said the model got lost or damaged or some such. Yvsa got a little upset about that, but it was in good fun:D

IIRC, the best part of this story was that the wood model of the awl that Yvsa sent with the YCS model had the tip broken off during shipment to Nepal, and the kamis dutifully made the awl with the tip broken off, just like the model. As far as I know, most of them are still making the YCS with the squared-off tip to the awl, instead of with a sharp point?

Yeah yall remember how hard it was to go back to the short handle Micro-AKB. Hey! I have one of those YCS with the broken awl tip! That was a funny story.

I'm pretty sure that I read the story about the wood awl model tip with Yvsa's YCS wood model getting broken somewhere in the HI archives - where's @Steve Tall when you need him?

I came aboard right after the YCS awl fiasco. It's true. And to my knowledge, the YCS still comes with a toddler-safe blunted tool. I ground mine down years ago. Truthfully, I have no use for a full size awl anyway. I don't think I ever poked anything with it. It was also tempered too soft to strike sparks.

Keep in mind, this was sometime around 2003-2004ish when I got mine. Before I was married in October 2005. We cut our wedding cake with that khuk. My memory is a bit fuzzy from back then. I often tell my wife it certainly feels longer than 13 years ago. I'm often slapped.

Thanks guys:)

I modded the little WWII to a birdshead as Howard said. I need to finish it out, but my Wednesday went something like this:
Dropped off the kiddo
Got a haircut
Chopped and sanded the WWII
Phone rings: my uncle and business partner, "what are you doing today?"
Me: I dunno...what AM I doing today?
Uncle: How do you feel like driving to Cleveland? (6 hours one way).

Long story short: 24 hours, round trip and overnight stay in northern Ohio, happy customer, irritated back from the drive, AND a useful grip shape on the Mini WWII.

The mod works. It's much more comfortable in hand. I need to sand it flush and finish out the uglies.
I'd love to see a picture of that pretty bird when you get it all finished up.

Back