the most durable clothing material for the woods?

BTW, RussMo, nice glacier shot in your avatar. The wife and I were in Wasilla in September, as we cruised from Anchorage to Seattle. Gorgeous country, Alaska!
I snapped this moose at about 25 yards from the road up in Denali.

AC032-1.jpg

Got to disagree here. I have a couple garments in Filson's Double Tin Cloth and I feel it's much more thorn resistant than their wool (which I also own). I've used Double Tin Cloth hiking through catclaw in AZ and it was no problem. Densely woven wool is very good but the thorns occasionally get a grip on it. In my experience, that's not so with the Double Tin Cloth garments.

DancesWithKnives

dwk my be correct but for quiteness i still opt for worsted wool. the double tin may also be more water resistant but catclaw is usually only found in tex., ari., new mex . & southern calif.---dennis

I have a pair of Filson Cover Cloth Brush Pants that I wear upland hunting in AZ. They do a good job of resisting cactus and other pokey things in the desert. They have then in different weights depending on what climate you want to wear them in.

14028-main-242.jpg

Chad

Carhartts are good, however I got a pair of "fire hose pants" from duluth trading. So far they are incredible for durability and are much more comfortable than the stiffer caharts.

Just an fyi, they are making pants out of cordura nowadays, same stuff my tactical pack i used in afghanistan was made out of, i abused it everyday and it spractically like new, it actually never ceases to amaze me. If they are evne half as tough as my eberlestock pack that would be the way to go.

I recently got 2 pair of carpenters pants one from Carhartt and the other from Dickies. Both seem like they would hold up well in my enviroment. Then again Thistle, black berry and rasberry bushes are about the worst I have to worry about around here.

Would love to get my hands on some Cordura pants and shirts. I wonder what weight they are made from.

Just an fyi, they are making pants out of cordura nowadays, same stuff my tactical pack i used in afghanistan was made out of, i abused it everyday and it spractically like new, it actually never ceases to amaze me. If they are evne half as tough as my eberlestock pack that would be the way to go.

Good point: My snake-resistant chaps are made of multi-layer cordura ("ballistic nylon" in the ads). My Chippewa snake boots have cordura on the outside while the Lacrosse snake boots use a spectra/kevlar fabric blend.

DancesWithKnives

Carhartts are good, however I got a pair of "fire hose pants" from duluth trading. So far they are incredible for durability and are much more comfortable than the stiffer caharts.

+++ on the Fire Hose Cloth pants.Tough stuff and much more comfy than Carhatts.They have the gussetted crotch that make it a lot easier to crouch or kneel.--KV

Cordura chaps, in the 500 and 1000 Denier, have served me well.

careful if you go with Cabela's - they are good construction, but a little small in the thigh, if you are built like a sprinter.

Colorado Chaps look really good and they are custom made in canvas or nylon in several grades, in the USA - i'm lusting for a couple pair of them.

vec

Kevlar impregnated with diamond dust.

Seriously, wool is going to be the toughest, but also the tin cloth from Filson.
You give up a little of that when you go with these ultralight coats, bags, pants,
etc. You get a snag on a thorn and your 2 oz. paper thin clothing is getting ripped
open wider than the Grand Canyon.

Speaking of filson tin cloth; Has anyone ever tried to make tin cloth out of a pair of carhartts? What did you use? I've been tempted to use sno-seal on an old pair of jeans to see what happens. The filsons are bit pricey for me but I understand they are the best....

Back