the most durable clothing material for the woods?

You can buy a can of the tin cloth oily wax treatment from Filson. I keep some around for touching up my stuff. The Sno-Seal is a bit darker but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have used it on boots with cordura panels and it waterproofed them.

DancesWithKnives

Carhartts and SnoSeal DO NOT work. It takes about 4 tins of Sno Seal to coat a pair of carharrts, and once dried (rubbed in) they DO repel rain well, but are clammy to wear once you start exerting yourself. As for thorn resistant, wax is not going prevent tears in fabric. You need to START with HEAVY canvas (tight weave) first.

Interesting. The Filson double tincloth pants could probably also be accused of being "clammy". The only way they sort of breathe is by being baggy and allowing some air flow up from the cuffs. If you exert yourself significantly, your legs are going to be soaked. Got my pickup stuck in a frame-deep mudhole a couple hours outside Fairbanks one time and decided to winch it out with a Hi-Lift jack. It worked but my lower body was drenched from sweating.

DancesWithKnives

Filson Tin Cloth is the toughest most durable material I have used. It is brutal when it gets warm here in Texas though so I switch to Cordura faced pants or just wear chaps, snake boots or gaiters around brush.

For a shirt try Carhartt's Ironwood Twill Work Shirt Snap Front. I'm not a big Carhartt person but the shirt is pretty impressive and contrary to some reviews I didn't find it a bit stiff even when new. Great shirt !

A lot of great points here. I like the worsted wool for winter but I'm not sold on summer yet.

They make these brown brush pants that are great for walking through briars and so forth and protect your legs. I don't know what the fabric is other than it is sort of like a tight woven canvas like material. These pants are commonly worn my small game hunters.

I like wool when deer hunting.

I've had a custom pair of Filson Double Tins since the mid-90s. Custom because I had them make a pair without the suspender buttons. A previous stock pair I had dug into my hips and hurt bad after awhile. This was before Filson was sold so I don't know if you can get that done now. But those pants are the best thorn-busters I ever had. Period.

Yep a good canvas but won't be as quiet .. Thorns would go right through wool. Yep carharts are probably the most available

the Duluth Trading Company pants are the best I have found for bulling my way through thick cover here in North Florida. We have some serious thorns to contend with.

Back