The most ergonomic knife ever.

AntDog

Gold Member
Most of us have been through a few knives at least, searching for that perfect solution. Some of us, through piles of knives.

Which one was made for you? What’s the one knife that is the most ergonomic to your particular hand? Which one makes the heavens part and the chorus of angels sing?

Any multiples are disqualified. I want to hear about “the one”.

Busse NMFBM with magnum micarta scales is the ergo grail for me. I have a bit bigger than average hands and they perfectly suit the big heavy knife. Busse Bushwacker mistress handle ditto for a medium size knife. The latest generation of res-c handles on any small Busse knife. Honorable mention to TGLB with it's double guard.

Spyderco Manix 2. It was born from my hand.

It's almost a 3 way tie, but the Manix just edges out the Domino and Yojimbo 2.

All three are like extensions of my hand. Probably why they are the three most carried.

The Manix has been in my rotation consistently since I bought it March 2014.

Spyderco Bushcraft UK
Melts into my hand. :D
No other even comes close.

sGVqX5-3Qbq1akM7iqyKfAPWyFQZ32PalRrgu2CggywYt9POtXgBqIRCYr4sEf_KR3Xi6qJ_-HJCd6_1VBYLkQk_exB5YAFFANjFpuPs_8FNnFvxxBqAMim0abz3R-KZ4bq0RJnuroDrbAlmGV0UT_8-ocUPUkalDXikEbmo9rsUroEaZmKhLgA7t3kQtONqa0uJ2lX2a5mCp4Cg-OJUCxcw1Y_ax1qZqDd-HxJ-q5XsWjRx61A_RBMs2VSB1qM70r6onbTTuSfhoYDXgwDogymdocpUltpsL5kdRhzX7HYW0NzwKFVyArJKujm6ouqekRln8wwm0Qn9-UGAgp_MfjH804jmtd_iqwTRQGt2XrFyg5DX54h2og_5b8ksdRzOtwsF8Li0kIHsa56jNGv7f6rp7dueo5w89ELA8F81qjvFF_P8CbgYr1RausXa7LHku64k-Cj-iPQfR0KbpkL-o4nLQtLexURWb8UBhp1Txvm0KylviMh5jlDt7hrfNUnRaGN_yVVVWH_xPI0bEUxpYo7NvGhc9yky8i1WFqTqxcMAFE_90uqetmrjVKxeM8EItG_JdAU1ScJNq9zJ3b6kD9bxDhyIWc2fiJ4ru-yCWtuSba-ohiQgcSl_04mppjJ2M2XZa8yy9QyMdLtZhjobO2s5rniyZ0V13UbhwViIsULGgGy-PRMU9Q=w800-h533-no

Which one was made for you? What’s the one knife that is the most ergonomic to your particular hand? Which one makes the heavens part and the chorus of angels sing?

Why the one that I made to suit me of course . :cool:
Broken record; though I've found nothing better since I made it. I recently bought a Buck 112 Pro with G-10 and S30V steel that comes close.

The inspiration for my Brad Zinker Urban Trapper with Cold Steel Krey-Ex fixed blade handle scales came from using my Buck 110 which was my first largish REAL knife.
Though the 110 is hand filling and a perfect shape it is heavy as a hammer head , slick as an eel and quite unbalanced (way too tail heavy). The modded Urban Trapper is as light as a feather , reaches out and grabs my skin and is nicely balanced.
The rubber handle with diamond pattern and sculpted sides just takes the basic square (flat sided) robust shape of the 110 and runs away with it to new horizons of ergo perfection.

Granted I couldn't beat the Brad Zinker into a tree with a rock like I could with the 110 but . . . the chances of me wanting to do that are almost nonexistent.

Any multiples are disqualified.
That means I can't mention my flat ground Ti Lite IV right ? :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG

Last edited:
I have to say my custom ODC 125 from kornalsky is super duper confy, but from production knives i can't beat my simple mora pro

I've had a few over the 70 yrs I've used them. Pro Fishing. Pro shooter.
Bumm. Single Hander sailor for most of that.
Most comfortable (commercial Not hand made). in hand for long term use.
Martiini Original.
50 plus yrs. sheath dead. blade worn.
soft steel. But still the most comfrtable SAFE feeling handle I can remember using.
5 or 6 PUMA's. 2 of them Prince folders. 3 fixed. Soft steel NOT comfortable
lived mainly in cupboard.
I have a small Crossman Skinner. does a great job on up to mid sized beasts.
fox etc. BUT very slippy handle when wet.
I coated the scales with Clear sikaflex after roughing them up.
Only ever shot one deer. Fallow.
They to proud an animal to insult with a bullet or arrow.
They deserve to live MORE than most humans in my eyes.
Any respectI ever had for humans bottomed out when I was about 13 yrs old.
and has just gone downhill ever since.

Power saw blades made up my primary blades for pigs. Croc's Buff etc.
THE best heavy duty Proficient steel for half a doz full sized buff's up North in the '70'/80's.
Mate worked in tyre factory. we dipped and hand moulded Tyre rubber handles to fit like skin.
Soft. Perfect fit. with stability,
You can use them ALL day for a week and only have sore back. shoulders, forearms and grip.
Wrist went dead b4 dinner on first day. I strapped mine.

There are lots of others. up to around $300 and down to free. Files. Circular saw blades etc.
They ALL cut.
It's the grip that counts.
Twice I've stripped handles from blades and welded new blades into them at tang.
They were that good.
If it doesn't fit IN hand like a good woman when you pick it up.
It never will. Try another.
Plus slight blade heavy for control I find.

A little folder Ganzo Firebird F753M. Really fits nicely too.
Great finger/thumb blade grip for fine work.

For knives that are shaped to be particularly ergonomic it would have to be the Grohmann mini Russell, I prefer neutral handle shapes but when the particular grip it provides is the right one it really works.

I do absolutely have to throw the Buck 110 in though, it's very neutral and feels just fine no matter what.
It's probably the most ergonomic of all because it's so neutral and universal, but also not exactly spectacular on ergonomics either.
It's simply always fine, while others may only feel good one way and to some people.

Last edited:
So after looking over all my inives, I'm surprised that the Cold steel Talwar xl is the most comfortable knife for my hand. Perfect finger grooves, and with all that handle, noone's hand will be crowded(the reason the regular talwar, while also wxtremely ergonomic wasnt in the #1 spot)

The Spyderco Chaparral is surprisingly natural in my hand for such a small knife. The knife just settles in hand perfectly for a secure grip. Another surprise is my Skrama. The well thought out hand-and-a-half grip and great balance make it one of my favorite heavy work knives. Great for chopping and rough whittling and all you need to do is shift your grip forward or back as needed.

Back