The most important lesson you've learned about knives.

Don't buy spares unless you really like a particular knife and it's discontinued. The only spares I buy are Vic SAKs and that is insurance against loosing one (which seldom happens).

Unless you believe yourself to be a collector, buy only knives you may use unless you just like wasting money.

• If you like knifes, learn to sharpen, every steel eventually gets dull.
  • Spending more doesn't necessarily mean better.
  • Everyone's taste is different; don't always be a sheep, but try a staple knife every now and again.
  • Don't automatically hand a knife to non-knife folks.
  • At the end of the day is just a freakin knife, does it cut, do you like it, you didn't go into debt for it, keep it, use it, enjoy it...

I've been attracted to knives and EDC'ed since I was 6. Never understood why, it seemed weird and irrational as many other people don't care.

What I learned here is that I have the "sharp gene" as Sal once called it. I'm not alone, Knives matter :)

Sal Glessner said:
Jan 2019: I believe it is a natural attraction ( a sharp gene? ) that affects some people. I see kids a a show. Their parents say they have no interest in knives, but their kid does, so they bring them to the show. The kids knows knives; steels. models etc. You probably have that "sharp" gene.

Knife Nirvana exists. It happens when you accumulate enough knives that you will never have to worry about sharpening a knife ever again; because even at the highest rate of use, you will never be ever to go through that many knives in the time remaining to you.

n2s

Since I'm new here, but have been a knife guy for years, I was wondering what was the biggest/most important lesson you've learned about knives since you started using and/or collecting them. I'm wondering what kind of wisdom you guys have to share.

What is the one thing you've learned by yourself over the years that you think is an important piece of knowledge for anybody interested in knives?

Most Important lesson about knives?
Everything is here at ‘BLADE FORUMS’....what else?:)

I learned not to lend my knife a long time ago. The answer is no and I'll only say it once. If you want to repeat your request, please face the wall while you speak because I'm finished listening to you.

Since I'm new here, but have been a knife guy for years, I was wondering what was the biggest/most important lesson you've learned about knives since you started using and/or collecting them. I'm wondering what kind of wisdom you guys have to share.

What is the one thing you've learned by yourself over the years that you think is an important piece of knowledge for anybody interested in knives?

I can't say it's any one thing. The last couple of years here on BF have been like graduate school for me. With emphases on folder design, steels, and sharpening.

It's been continuing education for me after 30 years of daily knife use in restaurants (all fixed blades and minimal sharpening skills).

To be fair, it also came with a tuition. Like others before me, it takes a while and is expensive to learn what you really like and will use. Especially if you dip your toes into the custom world.

Consequently, I have many many more than the dozen folders and fixed blades I keep in rotation.

If you know how many knives you have, you don’t have enough.
I have a lesser chance of losing an expensive knife because I pay more attention to its whereabouts.
A good knife, like a good banjo or bicycle, invites more use.
Tools separate hominids from other species. Knives are important tools.

Back