The most important lesson you've learned about knives.

The proper amount is not at all. But if you're just GOING to, you might as well not get TOO serious about it. I mean, you might actually LIKE it! (people are weird)
But, too much of ANYTHING can be bad for you. All things in moderation...

On Sharpening knives:

This is a new knife
41ii3tF%2BxAL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

This is a well used knife
clients%2Fsolditterrehauteindiana%2Fphoto_sets%2F3852%2FIMG_1419.JPG

As long as your knife falls somewhere between these two, you will retain a perfectly useful knife. There is no need for extensive sharpening skills and equipment in the attempt to replace a perfect factory edge. A few scratches, dings and irregularities are fine, so long as it cuts. It adds character, personalizes the knife and no matter how poor your skills the knife will last you for many years and every time that you sharpen you will have a new opportunity to learn and perfect your technique.

n2s

Last edited:
Dude you can get the small set of multiple grit Venev diamond stones for about $100 bucks and also learn freehand at the same time. I was a bit shy to do freehand until I watched some YouTube videos with Michael Christy. Start with his short Bevel Alignment video. Hope that helps.

I only do free hand. I don't own any system or kit.

But thank you for reccomendation, I will give it a look :)

On Sharpening knives:

This is a new knife

As long as your knife falls somewhere between these two, you will retain a perfectly useful knife. There is no need for extensive sharpening skills and equipment in the attempt to replace a perfect factory edge. A few scratches, dings and irregularities are fine, so long as it cuts. It adds character, personalizes the knife and no matter how poor your skills the knife will last you for many years and every time that you sharpen you will have a new opportunity to learn and perfect your technique.

n2s

perfectly stated, and reminds me of the first lesson I learned when I joined here.

If you wear out a Buck 110, Buck will reblade it for $10.

Most important lesson(s) ?
1) You don't need to wear away a lot of steel to get a sharp edge. So... don't use rough stones.
2) Factory edge is (almost) never perfect. But a good place to start.
3) Sharp is according to your needs. Some like a rough edge, some like it mirror polished.

I am a great acquaintance of "Murphy". I generally try to remember to carry a knife with me at all times while awake. I can count on the fact, that if I ever forget to carry a knife (and a flashlight, now seemingly), I will have a pressing need to cut something and I will be forced to walk back to where I left my knife. If I have one on me, I can go several days without needing it. Go figure.

How in blazes did I even function before I became obsessed with EDC?

Dear colin.p , just carry a necker : never without a knife, without even a thought about it.

Last edited:
Fixed for strength, folder for convenience.

Always have one on you. Murphy is around the corner.

What you carry and why you carry it, is your business alone.

Don’t let others use your knife. Tell them to carry their own.

Understanding a point and/or edge means you are never without one.

A knife is a tool that can be used as an improvised weapon but a knife is NOT a weapon.

Fixed for strength, folder for convenience.

Always have one on you. Murphy is around the corner.

What you carry and why you carry it, is your business alone.

Don’t let others use your knife. Tell them to carry their own.

Understanding a point and/or edge means you are never without one.

A knife is a tool that can be used as an improvised weapon but a knife is NOT a weapon.
Lots of good points there and I especially agree with the last one. Short edged instruments are generally poor defensive implements, which is bad news for the good guy. The bad guy already has an intent to hurt and can do a lot of damage with the initial sewing machine attack. The good guy with a Paramilitary 2 needs a fuckton of luck and skill to repel an attacker.

Also, if your context allows for it, carry two knives. If you need to do some dirty work or absolutely have to lend a knife to someone (not recommended even if it’s someone you trust), tap the cheaper backup knife.

On Sharpening knives:

This is a new knife

n2s
Holy schmokes, it evolved into a recurve knife! :D

Most important lesson(s) ?
1) You don't need to wear away a lot of steel to get a sharp edge. So... don't use rough stones.
2) Factory edge is (almost) never perfect. But a good place to start.
3) Sharp is according to your needs. Some like a rough edge, some like it mirror polished.
Another thing that can be added to your first lesson is to never use pull through sharpeners.

Back