The most important lesson you've learned about knives.

Pull through sharpeners = the short cut for people unwilling to learn... (and a definite step to messing up your blades !)

Buy knives with steel I can actually sharpen. Don't have the time nor patience to sharpen the more "exotic" stuff. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way by purchasing quite a bit of the "exotic" stuff that I now don't care to sharpen. :cool:

Sure are pretty tho.

Buy knives with steel I can actually sharpen. Don't have the time nor patience to sharpen the more "exotic" stuff. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way by purchasing quite a bit of the "exotic" stuff that I now don't care to sharpen. :cool:

Sure are pretty tho.
I agree!! My most exotic steel is BG42. It just takes a few extra minutes, so no complaint here.
My problem is the exotic edge angles! Do I look like I want to sharpen at 13 degrees?
Been using a Sharpmaker so long, 13 degrees was definitely an adjustment. It will also play into future purchases. Sorry for the rant.

The deeper you go in to the knife world your taste will change and you’ll probably find yourself daily Carrying and using a $500-600 knife without even thinking twice about it.

So I’ve learned that your tastes will change and your needs/wants will change as you carry and use your knives and see what does and doesn’t work! It’s a fun journey and there are no shortcuts - there’s no way around figuring it all out for yourself... so while we can all enjoy this journey we are all together - it’s a journey that’s best taken alone... because what I like and don’t doesn’t necessarily means your taste should reflect the same.

Learnt a couple important lessons over the years...

Don't practice balisong whilst standing on a floor you are not willing to destroy.

The perfect knife for somebody else is rarely the perfect knife for me.

Touching up your edge every now and again beats a full-on sharpening session.

99.999995 % of folks think you paid WAAAAAYYYYY too much for that knife in your pocket.

The deeper you go in to the knife world your taste will change and you’ll probably find yourself daily Carrying and using a $500-600 knife without even thinking twice about it.

So I’ve learned that your tastes will change and your needs/wants will change as you carry and use your knives and see what does and doesn’t work! It’s a fun journey and there are no shortcuts - there’s no way around figuring it all out for yourself... so while we can all enjoy this journey we are all together - it’s a journey that’s best taken alone... because what I like and don’t doesn’t necessarily means your taste should reflect the same.
Lol, ......uh yup!!
Although, I've yet to carry or use them......yet..:rolleyes:
20200717-160331.jpg

The one think I learned, starting with an expensive (for me) Gerber Paul knife in 1970 was how many people enjoy using and collecting knives and talking about their favorites.

To practice sharpening work on the Dragon Lady's kitchen knives. She will love you for it!

Last edited:
Don't follow trends, don't treat it as an investment, don't overthink it. It's just a knife.

I've gone from Opinels knives 2k+ customs and back to Opinel and Mora. In retrospect I have made some dumb financial desicions and I wish I still had some knives like my old school SnG or some of the Terzuolas I had but life is ever changing. And the online social media stuff is way out of proportion to what is really needed in life.

For now I'll keep the Sebenza 21 and wait a couple of years and see how the industry evolves. It was a lot of fun tho.

1) A falling knife is all blade.
2) If I'd started with a Victorinox Spartan I would probably have never bought anything else, instead I learned that the long (expensive) way round.
3) Aside from food use the majority of my daily urban cutting doesn't require anything more than the small blade on the aforementioned Spartan. That's 1.6" of edge.

Resistance is futile, and safe queens need to be used. Or will never see any use at all. Improve your sharpening skills and a few little touch ups now and then makes it a lot easier.

Back