The most important lesson you've learned about knives.

To find your perfect knife - you have to know exactly what you are looking for.
Agreed. The question is how many knives do you have to purchase before you gain that knowledge?

I have my “perfect” knife.
A CRKT Prowler.
Ergonomics and design are
spot on for my needs. Unfortunately it is AUS 6, the heat treatment sucks and it has a horrible blade finish.

Oh well, back on the trail for the perfect knife.

Best lesson I have learnt is get over the Hard use overbuilt folder phase and move along to the functional designed, good cutting/slicing geometry folders to be used as it was intended to. I still have my ZT0550 and will never get rid of that one though :D

Also, there is no such thing as a perfect knife...not in my case anyways. The search never ends. I would find a knife thinking this is it!...just to last a few months and move on to something else.

It's easy to get swept up in the latest trend or to try and chase the perfect knife but if you don't use what you have you can never actually find out where you are trying to go.

I have gone back to budget blades because there is tremendous value out there and I like variety without spending big bucks. Nothing against those who do, it's just not for me.

Also if you learn how to sharpen you become everyone's best friend. And experiment with sharpening, different steels like different finishes and stones.

Cut away from you.

ed: I can't believe this is one of only 4 pieces of practical advice in this thread. Doesn't anyone here actually use their knives?

Last edited:
Also, there is no such thing as a perfect knife...not in my case anyways. The search never ends. I would find a knife thinking this is it!...just to last a few months and move on to something else.

Agreed, there is no such thing as the perfect knife. At first I thought that was a bad thing, now I realize it is a good thing, now you can enjoy all different aspects of the hobby and enjoy the journey with all the variety along the way. Just keep a healthy attitude and do not take things tooooo seriously. :D

Cut away from you.

ed: I can't believe this is one of only 4 pieces of practical advice in this thread. Doesn't anyone here actually use their knives?

Good advice. Also, touch up an edge every so often to avoid a full blown resharpening, and that goes for the second piece of advice....a sharp knife is safer than a dull knife. Next, hand a knife to someone with the handle towards them if opened or a fixed blade. And another one, do not try to catch a knife when it drops, sounds silly but our first reaction is to catch something that falls from our hands. Use the proper tool for the job at hand, a knife is not a screw driver or pry bar.

Back