The most incredible knife sharpener I have ever used

Azula Gun Holsters

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have tried many knife sharpeners over the years and have found that the clamp system had always worked the best. Gatco, KME, Lansky and Wicked Edge all did a good job on the small knives but it became a bit of an ordeal to sharpen the big knives. The clamps would struggle with the bigger and thicker knives and it took forever to re profile a knife. Was never overly happy about pushing the stones into the edge. If you got tired or sloppy you would get cut.

Saw a post on IG where a knife maker was using an AMK-75 knife sharpener to get his knives razor sharp. There was very little online info about the AMK-75 sharpener.

I got the chance to use the AMK-75 and it is the most incredible knife sharpener I have ever used. It took a mere 15 minutes to get a razor sharp edge on a big Busse knife. I adjusted the edge to 20 degrees per side. Started with a 130 belt for a few passes. then a 220 belt, 800 belt, 1000 belt and finished with a leather strop belt and green compound.

The usual clamp for the AMK-75 is a single clamp but they also make a custom dual clamp for bigger and thicker knives. The dual clamp works very well for big knives like the NMFBM and even works well on a medium knife like a Boss Jack.

It really is amazing how fast the AMK-75 can sharpen a knife with a consistent screaming sharp edge. All the following edges are at 20 degrees per side. You really have to be careful handling the knife as they are very very sharp.

The AMK-75 is very well made and made in the USA.

AMK-75 WITH THE DUAL CLAMP AND A SCRAPYARD 1111
znCoak7.jpg

DUAL CLAMP ON A BOSS JACK
CgIQUIT.jpg

SINGLE CLAMP ON A RODENT 6
dGzy1oS.jpg

VERY SHARP EDGE ON A SCRAPYARD 1111
iwPBdgT.jpg

6nImpku.jpg

KggKee6.jpg

VERY SHARP EDGE ON A NMFBM
Rs9RuDu.jpg

3aRW028.jpg

VERY SHARP RODENT 6
wGto6yq.jpg

VERY SHARP BOSS JACK
IUc0Bxl.jpg

THE AMK-75 KNIFE SHARPENER VIDEO

That thing looks sweet! Very convenient!
Would be awesome for reprofiling. I'll stick to my DC4 for now though:p

Can the clamps get a secure grip on full flat ground blades? I have always had problems with my blades flopping back and forth in the clamps in my limited experience with guided sharpening systems.

Kind of reminds me of my Russian TSPROF K02, with the clamps it has anyways.

Can the clamps get a secure grip on full flat ground blades? I have always had problems with my blades flopping back and forth in the clamps in my limited experience with guided sharpening systems.

Just sharpened a new version Mountainmandu and the dual clamps worked well. Was very secure with no movement.

Looks like an awesome system. It also looks way too steeply priced for me for a home hobby expense.

I ordered one this weekend with the Black Friday sale!

I have tried many knife sharpeners over the years and have found that the clamp system had always worked the best. Gatco, KME, Lansky and Wicked Edge all did a good job on the small knives but it became a bit of an ordeal to sharpen the big knives. The clamps would struggle with the bigger and thicker knives and it took forever to re profile a knife. Was never overly happy about pushing the stones into the edge. If you got tired or sloppy you would get cut.

Saw a post on IG where a knife maker was using an AMK-75 knife sharpener to get his knives razor sharp. There was very little online info about the AMK-75 sharpener.

I got the chance to use the AMK-75 and it is the most incredible knife sharpener I have ever used. It took a mere 15 minutes to get a razor sharp edge on a big Busse knife. I adjusted the edge to 20 degrees per side. Started with a 130 belt for a few passes. then a 220 belt, 800 belt, 1000 belt and finished with a leather strop belt and green compound.

The usual clamp for the AMK-75 is a single clamp but they also make a custom dual clamp for bigger and thicker knives. The dual clamp works very well for big knives like the NMFBM and even works well on a medium knife like a Boss Jack.

It really is amazing how fast the AMK-75 can sharpen a knife with a consistent screaming sharp edge. All the following edges are at 20 degrees per side. You really have to be careful handling the knife as they are very very sharp.

The AMK-75 is very well made and made in the USA.

AMK-75 WITH THE DUAL CLAMP AND A SCRAPYARD 1111
znCoak7.jpg

DUAL CLAMP ON A BOSS JACK
CgIQUIT.jpg

SINGLE CLAMP ON A RODENT 6
dGzy1oS.jpg

VERY SHARP EDGE ON A SCRAPYARD 1111
iwPBdgT.jpg

6nImpku.jpg

KggKee6.jpg

VERY SHARP EDGE ON A NMFBM
Rs9RuDu.jpg

3aRW028.jpg

VERY SHARP RODENT 6
wGto6yq.jpg

VERY SHARP BOSS JACK
IUc0Bxl.jpg

THE AMK-75 KNIFE SHARPENER VIDEO
Since they both seem to be around tbe same price I wonder how this system compares to the Tormek?

My sharpener I want to try is the paper wheels.

Did it round the tips a smidge? Looks like it but it's hard to tell from the photos.

It can and a lot depends on technique. If you follow the curve of the tip it can round the tip a bit. If you draw straight across it seems to keep the original tip profile. A bit of a learning curve to get the tip how you want it. It is very sharp to the end of the tip.

Wanted to see what I could do with a couple of kitchen knives with broken tips. Have had these kitchen knives for many years and they were dull, a little bent and the tips were broken. My wife is a little hard on knives.
Ran through belts 130, 220, 800, 1000 and then the leather strop belt. Just curved up at the end to create a new tip which worked. The new repaired tip is rounded but sharp to the very end.
I also ran a used scrapyard 411 over the sharpener. The 411 came out very sharp as well and the tip easily cut 6oz leather.

I used a water dunk between passes but am not sure if that does anything at all.

Overall the AMK-75 has been very easy to use and the knives are extremely sharp.

BROKEN TIP KITCHEN KNIFE CLAMPED UP AND READY TO GO
LUbpOPY.jpg

BROKEN TIP ON TOP VERSUS REPROFILED TIP ON BOTTOM
p9Zi7Zs.jpg

KITCHEN KNIVES HAIR POPPING SHARP
Zsj9pKy.jpg

SCRAPYARD 411 VERY SHARP
A81SiWC.jpg

SCRAPYARD 411 TIP CUTTING THROUGH 6oz LEATHER WITH EASE
A81SiWC.jpg

Thanks. I gotta go look. That’s seems a little expensive. It’s nice and made in USA. But seems like it’s only good for one thing. Sharpening.

Back