The most useful knife I own: Pioneer X

Is there sak with pliers available?
Yes. The Mechanic has a small set of pliers.

I use mine sometimes when I am at work. The pliers are great when doing repair work on eyeglasses. Some repair screws have an extension beyond the threaded portion of the screw to help keep the temple hinge in proper alignment during assembly. I use the pliers to snap off the extension after the frames are assembled.

Last edited:
I like my Explorer. I like SAK scissors and I find the magnifying glass handy.

I still have never owned a SAK Alox knife. I don't need to spend more $ that I don't have.

Ive loomed at the compact several times. Gonna have to pick one up and try it out

I own several SAKs but the Farmer is my Huckleberry.
6LWZh4j.jpg

The scissors on a SAK is the most overrated tool in the array. I have three SAKs sitting on my shelf with broken springs. I have replaced a couple, only to have them break again. For scissors, I carry a Micra. They always work.

There are knives and there are knives and there are scissors and there are scissors.

I've gone back and forth from small knives to larger knives and have been carrying a knife in the Opinel 9 or Buck 110 range for years. That's my preference and may not be others.

For scissors, the benefit of the Victorinox scissors is that they cut precisely rather well. The downside, as you note, is they are frail. A buddy of mine prefers the Wenger style for this reason.

The other downside of the SAK scissors is that they can only cut thread and little stuff. Like you, I find the Micra scissors are infinitely more useful for my day to day tasks. Again, my preference which may not be shared by others. (For that matter, I find the Micra more durable all around than any Victorinox product I've owned).

The downside of the Micra though is that scissors need to be maintained in order to cut cleanly along the full length of the blade. I've learned to adjust the cutting blades by bending them carefully to ensure a clean, consistent cut. It's like truing a wheel - it requires some feel. If tuned, they cut like lasers. If not tuned, they can't cut paper while SAK scissor almost always will.

People who are able/willing to tune the Micra scissors would probably have a better experience with the Wenger scissors. Or the Victorinox scissors for a long as the spring works

Some folk mentioned pocket-clips for SAKs, thought this might be a good spot to plug my pocket-clipped alox models: https://imgur.com/gallery/cHaYj8A

Pioneer X with a pocket-clip:
7iWad19.jpg

I have a batch of clipped models that I need to take photos of to upload for sale, but you can email or PM me if this is something you might be interested in.... if the only thing keeping you from carrying an SAK is the lack of a pocket-clip, this is one solution until they start offering something from the factory.

The downside of the Micra though is that scissors need to be maintained in order to cut cleanly along the full length of the blade. I've learned to adjust the cutting blades by bending them carefully to ensure a clean, consistent cut. It's like truing a wheel - it requires some feel. If tuned, they cut like lasers. If not tuned, they can't cut paper while SAK scissor almost always will.

People who are able/willing to tune the Micra scissors would probably have a better experience with the Wenger scissors. Or the Victorinox scissors for a long as the spring works

pinnah:

I've often wondered how to sharpen/"tune" Micra scissors. Can you provide a detailed explanation of how to maintain Micra scissors? If possible, photos would be very helpful.

Thx

I own several SAKs but the Farmer is my Huckleberry.
6LWZh4j.jpg

So.. My go to is a Small Tinker and really not a Pioneer fan..:rolleyes: So why is the Farmer at your point??:D I like the saw idea but ??? Am I missing out on something KOOL?? :D
John

The more I read this, the more I regret selling my Victorinox pioneer :(
I don't know why a person would choose to sell a Pioneer. Just set it aside and buy another and use for a while. You might go back to it. Try an Electrician. Very nice knife in my opinion. As others know, I'm a Small Tinker guy now.

I don't know why a person would choose to sell a Pioneer. Just set it aside and buy another and use for a while. You might go back to it. Try an Electrician. Very nice knife in my opinion. As others know, I'm a Small Tinker guy now.

I only have one SAK at the moment :eek:
I’m more of a Leatherman guy

Back