The new Condor Dadao

I'm waiting for the Condor too. A little short for the historical size range, but a lot more practical while still a lot of fun! I don't care for the welded-on stainless ring pommel on the Hanwei, either.

I'm waiting for the Condor too. A little short for the historical size range, but a lot more practical while still a lot of fun! I don't care for the welded-on stainless ring pommel on the Hanwei, either.

My basic beef with the Hanwei is the leather wrapped tang, i really dont like that for a chopping anything really.

I don't mind that so much as the pommel. What's the point of a forged ring pommel if it's not actually part of the tang??? :p

Yeah, um...VERY cool. Gotta' say, though, the Sabretooth machete looks an awful lot like the Gerber Gator machete. I'm sure it will be better quality, but I couldn't help but notice the similarities. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed that too. Not sure how thrilled I am about seeing a sawback added to their line either. It better be a real honest-to-goodness saw. I AM excited about the handle on it though. Looks comfy and that means we're likely to see new models in future years using that same plastics mold.

Note: You'll see that this piece doesn't bear the "Designed By Joe Flowers" text so he probably didn't have much to do with this one. Which makes sense since I'm pretty sure he's not big on sawbacks either.

Im not big on sawbacks myself, the only thing they seem to cut well is the sheath.

My experience also--though I think part of it is the result of sheath design. A conventional sheath paired with a saw back is just asking for tears. A snap flap might help with that, though the curve of the stiff nylon in the Condor sheaths may make it a non issue. I guess time will tell!

Ooh, isn't that the same kind of sword that Mr Wang's crazy ass, rajaijah-poisoned son uses to "show people the way", by chopping their heads off in the Tintin adventure "The Blue Lotus"? I believe so..

Ah yes, I found it :).

http://tintinadventures2.tripod.com/id1.html

05_tintin_and_the_blue_lotus_page_14.jpg

05_tintin_and_the_blue_lotus_page_15.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I just placed my order for the Condor Dadao. This will be my second Condor, my first being the Golok. When I get it later this week, I will try my best to post some photos of it. When I first got the Golok, I also picked up a Svord Von Tempsky Bowie at about the same time. I decided to pit those two against my Junglas. The Golok surpassed both of those by such a wide margin that it is really in it's own class. The thing is an absolute terror to the bushes in my yard! After that day, I knew it was only a matter of time before I picked up another Condor and the Dadao is it! I've been really good about not buying knives lately, but dangit, I had to break down and buy this one!

For those of you who might be wondering, the Junglas did better in my tests than the Von Tempsky Bowie. I like the Junglas better, primarily because it has a better handle shape that locks your hand in place. However, the Von Tempsky earns major points for cool factor alone, so it earned it's place in my collection. As far as yard choppers go, I'd say Condor wins, hands down. Even though the Golok is the only one I've handled so far, the cost is low enough that I have absolutely no hesitation to start wailing on it. Plus, their leather sheaths are 1,000 times better than the crummy cordura ones that come with most knives and machetes in this price range.

what makes condor attractive is the price point... they are almost GIVING AWAY their stuff.

When compared to similarly constructed tools, they are 30-50% lower across the board.

Their quality is top notch, and they put awesome tools in the hands of us poor folks

I'll take it:) Most of my long blades are either machetes and filipino/SE asian style. Not really into katanas or chinese style blade, But i just had to get this one. Looks like a beast

You ARE the one who bought it, aren't you? It was purchased by someone who was viewing the other thread that you also commented on and it's on its way to a Washington address...

That's what I thought! Seeing you say "I'll take it!" after already placing the order threw me for a loop! :D You'll love it--it's a heck of a beast! Now if they'd just make a two-handed beef splitter...

Back