The new Condor Dadao

Well a big ol' piece like the dadao wouldn't make such a great hunting sword. :p Except maybe for splitting a carcass into whole sides! :D

Hunting using ONLY a sword WOULD be difficult! :p

I've thought about that kind of stuff before... Would love to try it
Wouldn't bring home much(or anything) but it would sure be worth the challenge
Man you would come home bloody

Hunting swords were used primarily for dispatching wounded game, as well as light machete duties like clearing areas for bowshots. They'd work well for hog hunting, too, though. :)

Took the words out of my mouth!
Was too late :p

Here's my chinese connection. Chinese sword/Chinese AK (well at least chinese style sword)

DSC00235.JPG

I haven't had time to really abuse mine, but I have done some chopping with it. I think it's a totally solid blade and for the money, you'd be hard pressed to find something better. The finishing is a bit rough, but at this price point, what can one really expect? Overall, I'm very happy with it and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. The sheath is excellent too.

I haven't had time to really abuse mine, but I have done some chopping with it. I think it's a totally solid blade and for the money, you'd be hard pressed to find something better. The finishing is a bit rough, but at this price point, what can one really expect? Overall, I'm very happy with it and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. The sheath is excellent too.

Something functional and raw is beautiful in its own way. Thanks for the input!

The more I look at this the more I think something like a cold steel grosse messer is probably an all around better sword, especially seeing them going for just above 150USD. Current dadaos in the market seem to have very short blades. Or maybe I'm just missing something.

Last edited:
Something functional and raw is beautiful in its own way. Thanks for the input!

The more I look at this the more I think something like a cold steel grosse messer is probably an all around better sword, especially seeing them going for just above 150USD. Current dadaos in the market seem to have very short blades. Or maybe I'm just missing something.

Hey, I just saw your post edit. Here's my two cents, even though you didn't ask. ;-)

A while back, I was considering the Cold Steel Grosse Messer too. I can't remember exactly why I passed on it, but I read enough negative things to steer me clear of it. I know there's a lot of guys who love Cold Steel, but everything I've ever purchased from that brand has been sub par, at least IMHO.

The one that I was checking out was the Valiant Armory Zombie Slayer. I think it's currently in a new production run and won't be available for another month or so. It's a little more than the Grosse Messer, but dude, that's a heck of a lot of steel you're buying. I have many folding knives that cost way more.

The Condor Dadao is a bit shorter, but it really is a rock solid blade and Condor is a rock solid company. Personally, I would have more faith in Condor than Cold Steel, but that's just me.

Good luck on your sword buy, whatever you decide.

Hey, I just saw your post edit. Here's my two cents, even though you didn't ask. ;-)

A while back, I was considering the Cold Steel Grosse Messer too. I can't remember exactly why I passed on it, but I read enough negative things to steer me clear of it. I know there's a lot of guys who love Cold Steel, but everything I've ever purchased from that brand has been sub par, at least IMHO.

The one that I was checking out was the Valiant Armory Zombie Slayer. I think it's currently in a new production run and won't be available for another month or so. It's a little more than the Grosse Messer, but dude, that's a heck of a lot of steel you're buying. I have many folding knives that cost way more.

The Condor Dadao is a bit shorter, but it really is a rock solid blade and Condor is a rock solid company. Personally, I would have more faith in Condor than Cold Steel, but that's just me.

Good luck on your sword buy, whatever you decide.

images%5CAT307_l.jpg

Reminds me of the ATrim tactical series. Not sure I care for all the leather on it though. If I'm gonna' go modern I'm gonna go MODERN.

Reminds me of the ATrim tactical series.

[snark] Duh? [/snark] ;)

That would make sense because...... it was based roughly on Gus' tactical longsword from years ago. Also in the same vein and name for a custom done By "Tinker" Pearce. All the leather additions were due to the popularity and suggestions by the expectant buying sector. It would not be the first time the masses put in their votes and then ignored the product once released. It was more than a year's worth of feedback that was then left by the side of the road by folk finding something else they think they will want and spend money on. It was definitely not a case of if they build it, all will buy.

Note, again, that it was based on a tactical longsword and not shortsword. Gus had done a variety of tacticals and did grip them in micarta, while considering G-10 which in turn rendered down to cord wrapping but drilled for grips of one's choice. IIRC, one of the available options for Gus' new stuff is a short tactical. Check out Tried & True. Then again and as most reading are knife guys, they may have no need to look at the possibilities offered from people specializing in swords vs knives.

Once again, a mixed fruit basket of comparisons that end up a list of possibles and preferences. Me? [snark] I consider a lot of this market as discussed is more a basket of nuts [/snark] ;)

Cheers

GC

shaking my head as to why I even open these threads to read

Yeah I kind of think it looks hideous. I had no idea that it was more than a year worth of popular input from the popular community. Looks like a classic case of too many cooks in the kitchen. :barf:

Opinions do vary

A google or SFI search for Atrim tactical will bring up a lot of background probably unknown to many

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?74365-The-Tactical-Lineup-how-its-going-to-work

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?73955-Tactical-Longsword-rough-ground-photo

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?98859-Atrim-Tactical-Long-Sword-Custom-Scabbard

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?74904-Sneeker-pic-Atrim-tactical-Jian

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?74506-Just-off-the-machine-Tactical-Saber

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?73073-A-Trim-leafy-tactical

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, the Valiant Armoury package of offshore products was by and large with the impedus of the Sword Buyers Guide crowd. Gus' tactical swords had become a popular thought that some liked, some didn't/don't. Sonny at Valiant does a lot of custom work for the medievalists and you will see fewer here than you do of knife knutz wanting indestructible swords. Just as you will see fewer of this ilk at the SBG, SFI or myArmoury board. There is enough internet it doesn't insist an opinion and I often find many insisting crap is crap will be found in all camps.

No one is saying you need to go out and buy a lovely Condor punched out blade but I see a lot of fan boy activity on Blade Forums overall. It is not just selective to the sword section. I guess some are just that passionate that it is easy to ignore all possibilities.

I try to restrain myself but when I see stuff like the Condor line, I accept some will love them while not particularly wanting to own one. I believe my words (when the cutlass sword was first projected) were "I wonder if they can offer them in euclid green" (something to that effect). "Great bang for the buck!!!!!" Sure, why not? MAybe a gateway to something even better for the money than what is often spent on peer pressure. Everyone should have their own niche and not get dragged by the ring in their nose to please any clique.

Enjoy

GC

Back