The New CS Tai Pan 3v

Anyone have an Eta when these are coming out? I got like 5 pages saved in my favorites.. 5 diff. stores with diff. prices , Im ready to buy.. I loved teh San Mai version but a little too chippy for my taste.. I think this new 3V will be awesome..

Anyone know? Like Early May?

Thanks

Is the 3V Taipan coming out? Or has it been discontinued? It doesn't appear in the CS 2015 products.

http://dealerscorner.coldsteel.com/Discontinued/

Have you had a Sanmai Taipan chip on you? If so may I ask how you were using it when it occured? Thanks.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/13Q/TAI_PAN_3V.aspx

It's in the new for 2015 section, it's just on the second page of products. I haven't heard a release date, but 3V should be one heck of a step up if you plan on using the knife.

Ok thanks. Guess it wull eventually come out and I suspect the SM3 Taipan will be discontinued.

Haven't heard a release estimate for this one. I'm looking to pick one up. It's made in Taiwan so price is going to be good. Hopefully quality will be good too.

Supposed to be priced around 200 bucks on KC, but might be lower once priced stabilized. Only the release date is a mystery; don't think it's gonna be anytime soon. Still waiting for Magnum Warcraft for...

Ok thanks. Guess it wull eventually come out and I suspect the SM3 Taipan will be discontinued.

The San Mai Tai Pan will presumably still be available, just in limited numbers per-year(?)... That's the answer I got from CS about SM Recon Tanto/SRK...

That blows if it's never gonna make it to market. Reminds me of the pilum from a couple years ago. I believe the pilum was still being shown on the site for a while, despite being discon'd before it ever came out. :(

The San Mai Tai Pan will presumably still be available, just in limited numbers per-year(?)... That's the answer I got from CS about SM Recon Tanto/SRK...

Frankly, I don't believe it. Back in 2008 there was a knife incident in Tokyo involving the random stabbing of multiple victims (12), which resulted in a strengethening of Japanese knife laws. One of them was to make daggers (double edged) knives illegal to posess. One can google the "Akihabara Masscre". Later, the chairman of the Seki Cutlery Association made a public statement that Seki makers would no longer make daggers. With SOG having ended their dagger manufacture with Kinryu of Seki back in 2006/2007, the only remaning Seki daggers became the Cold Steel Sanmai series. Lo and behold Cold Steel ended the Peace Keeper II sanmai series. And now the Sanmai Tai Pan is in limited supply. I believe both these daggers were/are made by Hattori of Seki for Cold Steel and are being terminated after the current contract runs out. Some dealers are of the belief that the SM Taipans may already be existing inventory only and will cease when those are sold out. CS does still make non-SM daggers in Japan, but they they are made by Ido Edge, a company that is not in Seki. Ido makes the Counter-Tac daggers as well as the Pendeton hunter.

San Mai is still very much in production but we are now only producing limited runs each year.
The 3v models (which we hope to see begin shipping within the next few months) are being offered as an additional series, not a replacement
Thanks

San Mai is still very much in production but we are now only producing limited runs each year.
The 3v models (which we hope to see begin shipping within the next few months) are being offered as an additional series, not a replacement
Thanks
I know this is an older thread, which is why I am now asking, is the Tai Pan is still in production?
Also, I watched the testing video where the guy slices stuff up pretty good, then towards the end he put a cheater bar over the handle and bent the knife quite a way, 70 degrees I think? The video did not show the knife straightening back up. My question would be did it come back, and if not all the way to straight, how far?
Thanks. :)

I know this is an older thread, which is why I am now asking, is the Tai Pan is still in production?
Also, I watched the testing video where the guy slices stuff up pretty good, then towards the end he put a cheater bar over the handle and bent the knife quite a way, 70 degrees I think? The video did not show the knife straightening back up. My question would be did it come back, and if not all the way to straight, how far?
Thanks. :)

My guess is the edited it right before it failed.

I have the san mai Taipan and I have no interest in the new 3v versions. What's very interesting to me however is that CS is putting out the 3v as an additional series without abandoning san mai. This is what the company should have done with all the knives they offered in Aus 8! They could have brought out all their old models in new more expensive steel, for steel obsessed ninnies, while continuing to offer the same models in Aus 8. They should have also put out any new models in Aus 8, as well as in whatever new steel, for those of us who are actually interested in good reasonably priced knives and not metallurgy.

I have the san mai Taipan and I have no interest in the new 3v versions. What's very interesting to me however is that CS is putting out the 3v as an additional series without abandoning san mai. This is what the company should have done with all the knives they offered in Aus 8! They could have brought out all their old models in new more expensive steel, for steel obsessed ninnies, while continuing to offer the same models in Aus 8. They should have also put out any new models in Aus 8, as well as in whatever new steel, for those of us who are actually interested in good reasonably priced knives and not metallurgy.
I don't agree. The prices on the XHP blades are awesome. I have no doubt that they are as such, because Cold Steel has negotiated a great price from Carpenter, buying massive quantities of XHP and BD1. Likewise, they most likely negotiated a great rate with the manufacturing facilities, which can do it, because the tooling is consistent, due to consistently working with the same steel ie: maximum efficiency. If they ran models in both steels, the price will increase for both versions, because of increased costs of materials and production.

Last edited:
CS isn't actually making the 3V series in "addition" to the Sanmai versions.
The Sanmais made by Hattori are all discontinued now. Anything you still find are existing inventory.
The Sanmais made by Kinryu (SRK, Recon Tanto, MH) are still in production but that is on it's way out as well.
Which is why CS moved to make these popular Seki made models with Taiwan production but using
3V.

CS isn't actually making the 3V series in "addition" to the Sanmai versions.
The Sanmais made by Hattori are all discontinued now. Anything you still find are existing inventory.
The Sanmais made by Kinryu (SRK, Recon Tanto, MH) are still in production but that is on it's way out as well.
Which is why CS moved to make these popular Seki made models with Taiwan production but using
3V.
Granted, this post is a year old now,
Cold Steel Knives said:
Thanks
Reference;
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1279686-The-New-CS-Tai-Pan-3v?p=14673537#post14673537
But I would still like to hear them chime in on this. :)

I see that the 3V version is now available at some dealers.

Back