The next super steel

I can speak on "super" steels since that is the topic, and what steel is "super" is what steel we are told is super and will pay for.

Remember, 440C was super. Now it isn't. It didn't change.
There is a UK knife seller that has a page providing guidance on steels. It all seems to be aimed at reflecting what marketing depts say about their products. As you say, 440C was once super. VG10, 154CM et al seem to now be regarded as Premium, having lost their super status to the new kids on the block. The reality is that some consumers are always lured by the latest, greatest product, and will sing its virtues to the skies. Until the next one arrives.

There is a UK knife seller that has a page providing guidance on steels. It all seems to be aimed at reflecting what marketing depts say about their products. As you say, 440C was once super. VG10, 154CM et al seem to now be regarded as Premium, having lost their super status to the new kids on the block. The reality is that some consumers are always lured by the latest, greatest product, and will sing its virtues to the skies. Until the next one arrives.

Of course! And there is nothing at all wrong with it.

If we we not lured by knife stuff we would all have one SAK and be done with it. :D

(I like AUS-8. It's inexpensive, maintains an edge for a reasonable amount of time, and I can sharpen it. Now that's super! :p)

Of course! And there is nothing at all wrong with it.

If we we not lured by knife stuff we would all have one SAK and be done with it. :D

(I like AUS-8. It's inexpensive, maintains an edge for a reasonable amount of time, and I can sharpen it. Now that's super! :p)
Yes. I have so many high end blade steels, yet the folder I use at work for really grotty jobs is AUS-8, same at home TBH!

Yes. I have so many high end blade steels, yet the folder I use at work for really grotty jobs is AUS-8, same at home TBH!

We are knife nuts. We all buy stuff we can't or don't use! For me it's big fixed blades. I can't resist them. For others its the latest super steel.

There is a new super steel every year or so not because of metallurgy...it's because of us.

a few points that have been made, but I'd like to recall on a bit.

1 - steel isn't generally made for the knife industry, we just grab it when one comes up that will work. given that, we will continue to see newer and more exciting (right..yea) steels as they are developed and used. there is no end in sight - but this is a good thing

2 - each steel is a trade off in properties. any new steels will be subject to those same tradeoffs - and there will be many differing opinions as to what properties are most important for different tasks, by different people.

3 - its all marketing - marketing drives it all, and without it we probably wouldn't be here talking about this - we'd all still be carrying basic slip joints and lock backs with basic steels, natural handles, and nobody would know any better. the marketing pushes the money in, which allows for new steels, new handles, new locks, etc.

I’ve noticed recently that some members are labelling S30V as an average steel and I have to laugh. Is it average amongst the steels discussed on these forums, even? No, not really. Not when considers the wealth of threads on Victorinox, trad folders and fixed blades, etc. Is it average out there amongst the billions of humans who use steel knives daily? No. Let’s be honest. Give somebody a dull S30V blade who uses over the counter kitchen knives, SAK’s, and so on, and ask them to get it sharp. It will be a very long wait indeed. Most people wouldn’t even know such a wear resistant blade was available, let alone what abrasive to use in order to get it keen.

I’m not panning high end steels, I buy enough of them, after all, and I enjoy them. But it is an expensive business and not strictly necessary in my view.

3 - its all marketing - marketing drives it all, and without it we probably wouldn't be here talking about this - we'd all still be carrying basic slip joints and lock backs with basic steels, natural handles, and nobody would know any better. the marketing pushes the money in, which allows for new steels, new handles, new locks, etc.

Its not marketing when you have a job to do and you don't want to sharpen every 5 mins. I've got and use maxamet, m390 etc and it's all worth it to me. But certainly not to everyone. It's also a value or status thing to others. It's more so the people that want these steels.

In the case of say crkt putting s35vn on a shit quality knife like the Pilar and charging way to much for it .. That is marketing (but then again the fanbase did ask for it)

I think marketing is definitely at play in what is considered “new” which is also part of what makes something “super.” Maxamet is a “new super steel” despite being patented in 1999. No one knew about it.
The steel manufacturer marketing to the knife makers, makes sense.

Ding! Nailed it.

so many valid points. this is good everyones wheels are turning. marketing is involved but let's not forget demand and supply. we demand something and knife companys/makers supply it. you can market the crap out of something and still not sell any.
some things I've noticied. super steel is ? what defines a steel as super. it's sure easy to sharpen, super strong or super tough. is it super because it's new or is it super because of the content in the metal. just to get some more wheels turning. to some ones point that older steels used to be "super" but as the bar gets raised will these current steels still be "super". I feel like there sports cars. they have to meet a certain criteria to be "super".

Super steel does not exist ! Call me back when someone make steel with which I can chop wood , then shave my beard then cut nail then split hair and most important will not stick to cheese :D ...................................... and no need to resharpen ever , of course :p

I think marketing is definitely at play in what is considered “new” which is also part of what makes something “super.” Maxamet is a “new super steel” despite being patented in 1999. No one knew about it.
What make Maxamet super steel :)

Super steel does not exist ! Call me back when someone make steel with which I can chop wood , then shave my beard then cut nail then split hair and most important will not stick to cheese :D ...................................... and no need to resharpen ever , of course :p
i need tour number to call you. super steel does exist. there based out of Milwaukee. Google them. hahaha sorry just had to.

I guess super is the wrong term for it. we should all come up with a industry standard inn what to call them. super because the price tag is super high compared to others. high end because there on the high end of the steel spectrum. premium because the materials and process in developing is premium. not too sure how about supercalifragilisticeexpialiadocious. that should sum it up.

i need tour number to call you. super steel does exist. there based out of Milwaukee. Google them. hahaha sorry just had to.
I found them ....but they are only fantastic not super :D
tG7b76a.jpg

One is rock solid , but can t fly .....one can stretch mile but can t make fire ...one can forge steel but is not rock solid ...... and that girl is beautiful ;)
BUT only one can do everything...and only that one deserve name SUPERman :p
y3nqbii.jpg

I found them ....but they are only fantastic not super :D
tG7b76a.jpg

One is rock solid , but can t fly .....one can stretch mile but can t make fire ...one can forge steel but is not rock solid ...... and that girl is beautiful ;)
BUT only one can do everything...and only that one deserve name SUPERman :p
y3nqbii.jpg

that reminds me. earth wind fire water together we are captain planet. that fantastic for peice you just did later the way.

It has ended for me. M4 is all I could ever want in a knife blade alloy.

Yeah that's what they all say. :rolleyes::D

How can it ever be over when you don't even have a bigass titanium sword yet? o_O

Back