The (un)Official SDFK Thread

Pàdruig

Reap What You Sow
Platinum Member
My apologies - I just had to do it.

I am an organized individual and it's been driving me crazy to have to blunder through multiple threads to find snippets of info regarding the much anticipated SDFK. I thought it might be helpful to have a place where we could compile the info as we know it in one place for easy reference and maybe, if we are lucky, Nathan and/or company will chime in to set us straight as needed.

Up to this point, my understanding of the SDFK was that it was going to be a knife similar to the HDFK (a favorite of mine), albeit more brutish, less refined, and less expensive - and set up/marketed through Amazon. Since it appears that the Amazon thing isn't happening anymore (?) and I've read that there will be a Basic and Signature version of this, is it safe to say that this will be its own knife, rather than a variant of the HDFK?

Here are some snippets that I have found - quoted below:
I'm ordering steel for another big Field Knife pattern now. A SDFK. (super duty). I'll narrow the primary grinds a tad, bump the spine up to a full 1/4", add a little length to the blade and put some weight in the end of the tang to keep the balance on the guard. A run of 350 of them, no pre-orders.

Once this K18 logjam clears there are a lot of cool things in the pipe line.

Why in the hell did I ever do a sword?

Lets do some axes!!!

View attachment 1407096

I think we'll do two versions of the new upcoming SDFK. The idea behind this knife was a full 1/4" thick unbreakable saber ground blade that can cut bolts without taking much damage to distribute on Amazon in order to reach a new demographic of folks who want a good heavy duty knife but aren't knife nuts.

1. The basic version for Amazon distribution that will be in the ~$250 price point. As-milled and tumbled and super basic and stripped of some details that we're known for in order reach that price point but well designed and Delta 3V to introduce the unwashed masses to our brand.

2. The signature series that will be around $350. This is a little less than the HDFK was for a little longer blade, but without fullers. The primary grinds would be thinned a little and get an S grind before tumble and it would get the weight reduction features such as a swedge at the tip and skeletonizing in the tang and be more carefully balanced, though probably not quite as brilliant as the HDFK. It would also get the big chamfers and jimping that have become characteristic for our knives.

...somebody had asked earlier and I said I'd need to think on it. Well, I thought on it...

1. Is the "Signature Series" SDFK still happening?
  2. Will it be produced alongside the "^ Steel is here, we are decking material on these now. - Basic Line Super Duty Field Knife" meaning will they be available around the same time?
  3. Will there be a BF pre-order for the SS SDFK?
  4. SS SDFK pre-order when??
  5. SS SDFK blade length??
  6. Will there be a fuller on the SS SDFK??

^
1. yes
2. yes
3. probably not
5. 7"
6. no, but it will get a hand grind and the classic chamfers

No there won't be a pre-order. I've prepped blanks for 300 or so and that will be it. I'll probably get started on those in about 2 weeks. I'm doing most of them in basic grade I had intended for Amazon but I did maybe 100 of them in signature style cuz I knew some of you knuckleheads would want some.

I probably made more than I should have but it should be a fun and affordable knife so I'm sure I will eventually sell the stock even without using Amazon.

Anyway, that should get us started.

My apologies - I just had to do it.

I am an organized individual and it's been driving me crazy to have to blunder through multiple threads to find snippets of info regarding the much anticipated SDFK. I thought it might be helpful to have a place where we could compile the info as we know it in one place for easy reference and maybe, if we are lucky, Nathan and/or company will chime in to set us straight as needed.

Up to this point, my understanding of the SDFK was that it was going to be a knife similar to the HDFK (a favorite of mine), albeit more brutish, less refined, and less expensive - and set up/marketed through Amazon. Since it appears that the Amazon thing isn't happening anymore (?) and I've read that there will be a Basic and Signature version of this, is it safe to say that this will be its own knife, rather than a variant of the HDFK?

Here are some snippets that I have found - quoted below:

Anyway, that should get us started.

I can’t believe there aren’t any pics!

I’m really looking forward to this release. Gonna see if it will outperform my HDFK!

Seems I upset somebody for whatever reason 🤷‍♂️.

Hmmm...no fullers? Not sure what to think about that. They are such a trademark of the HDFK and the choppers. Will have to see it...

I wonder about that too. I know a fuller has a functional purpose but it also is very much an aesthetically pleasing feature. Hard to picture a large blade (a large CPK blade at that) without one.

I’m in for one, but won’t lie I’m disappointed it won’t have fullers. The extra length might make up for no fullers though. I thought the HDFK would of been perfect at 7-7.5” instead! And I’ve been jonesing for a 7ish” badass camp knife for a long while!

Last edited:
I think the fullers are what give the HDFK, all of the choppers their looks. It also helps reduce blade weight without sacrificing strength or blade integrity. If the SDFK doesn't have them it's going to be more of a chopper than the HDFK. It will be front heavy unless the weight is left in the grip. It's going to be interesting for sure.

Some of the quotes I found and input above relate some of the details that Nathan plans on incorporating to make sure the balance is right.

"I'll narrow the primary grinds a tad, bump the spine up to a full 1/4", add a little length to the blade and put some weight in the end of the tang to keep the balance on the guard."

(Regarding Signature version) "The primary grinds would be thinned a little and get an S grind before tumble and it would get the weight reduction features such as a swedge at the tip and skeletonizing in the tang and be more carefully balanced, though probably not quite as brilliant as the HDFK. It would also get the big chamfers and jimping that have become characteristic for our knives."

Sounds like Nathan still plans to impart his typical wizardry to ensure that the balance is where it needs to be at. A swedge would look pretty smart on these, especially in the absence of a fuller.

In all frankness, I think I will need one of each version - for science, of course.

Back