The (un)Official SDFK Thread

Most of these were done as the basic series for amazon, but we did some in our signature series too. Those got the skeletonized tang we're known for.

tv3YgMm.jpg

Stock thickness is a full .250". This one is going to be pretty stout.

Last edited:
Nathan, any other differences on the signature line? How does it affect the balance?

It's a tip heavy knife, there's no way around that. The HDFK is supremely well balanced, the SDFK is going to be a little less neutral in the hand. I left the butt solid on the signature series so the effect on balance from skeletonizing is pretty minimal, it's mostly just weight reduction, but I may swedge those to remove weight from the tip once I have some finished and can see what I think. The blade shape itself isn't inherently tip heavy but the blade is almost 7" and it's 1/4" stock. But it won't feel like a turd in the hand, I wouldn't do that.

This is a great example of a knife that would not be improved with a tapered tang. You sometimes see people put that feature on everything...

These are still a ways off. The K18 and production for our special customer for the UF has pushed the SDFK back a bit. I won't be beveling these for a little while still.

Back