The official Challenge knife thread!Makers please confirm your entry

KFU

Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator
Its on! Lets make this the official challenge thread now. Ill list all the makers that expressed interest so please confirm that you are still in and I will update it. The testing will take place at the Becker Spring gathering on May 3,4,5
Here are the makers that said they were in.If I missed someone please let me know.
KFU confirmed
James Terrio confirmed
Big Chris confirmed
Ozark Matt confirmed
AA Forge confirmed
White Feather Blades
Fall Creek Knives confirmed
Tackett13 confirmed
Dave Behrens confirmed
bacustomknives confirmed
Elo147
Bigblue17 confirmed
Rick Marchand confirmed
Mudbug007 confirmed
Daizee alternate
Bkduckworth confirmed
Shaw Blades confirmed
Shane Wink confirmed
Bruce Culberson confirmed
TM Hunt confirmed
Battle Creek Knives confirmed
Jdm61 confirmed
Buckmaster96 confirmed
The knife will need to be a bushcraft/camp knife, 4.5" to 5.5" blade geared towards slicing. It will be used for food prep, bushcraft tasks, etc. everything else is open to the maker.

Moose compiled this list for judging.
Each knife will be assigned a number, probably identified with a sticker on the sheath or sleeve, as the case may be. Each user will be provided a "grading slip", basically a printed piece of paper, where they will mark each attribute with a 0-10 scale.

Appearance
-Fit and finish
-Packaging
-Overall Knife "look"

Function
-Steel
-Edge Sharpness
-Edge Retention
-Ease of Sharpening
-Comfort on the hand while in use
-Features
-Ease of use

Ergonomics
-Handle Shape
-Hot Spotting
-Features

Comments from Users

Comments from Fisk

That's what I plan to go with, feel free to chime in with anything I need to add, or take away from the testing.

You can send the knives to me, or whoever, James, Chris, etc. Please include a note with return address, or what you want to happen to the knife after the testing is completed.

This is gonna rock.

I also think we should send a little info about the knife, steel, handle material, price, etc. If somebody would like to purchase a knife they like it will be between them and the maker. Sound good?

Last edited:
I am in for sure. Looking forward to this. A little glad we are getting the extra time now as well.

I posted that I would not be able to participate in the other thread but with the May-ish due date I think I can make this happen.

I'm back in.

Count me in, this looks like too much fun!

BTW, should we put our makers mark on the knives?

Last edited:
Chris,

I'm still in! Also, I am listed twice... you can just say Fall Creek Knives and remove my name, if you don't mind. Otherwise, I'll make two knives.

Thanks for keeping this organized, by the way.

--Shannon

If you wish to send your knife to me, please ship to

Moose
219 Songbird Drive
Maryville TN. 37801

If you are sending you work to me, please have it here no later than May 2nd.

Thank you.

Moose

The only reason I asked whether or not we should include our makers mark is to eliminate the possibility of partiality among the testers. I was just curious if this had been done in the past challenges. I'm okay with it either way.

I would hope these guys are impartial. Im sure that wont be a problem

Guys, I know I said I would help out in any way I could with this challenge. But after thinking it over and discussing it with my Office Manager (wife :D), I feel I must recuse myself from being a shipping-point for makers who aren't able to attend the testing/gathering personally.

I know this is a friendly and honorable endeavor, but it is a competition after all. If maker XYZ's knife goes through my hands before testing, there could be a suspicion of conflict-of-interest or even tampering. Also, I simply don't want to be responsible for the care, return shipping, and possible sale of other makers' work. That's a can of worms I just don't care to open.

I humbly suggest that makers should contact the testers re: sending their knives in. I think that's the most fair and transparent way to deal with it.

Probably a good idea, lets send them to Moose!

I've given this some thought, and while a big part of me says I'm not ready, I think I'll step out of my comfort zone and participate.

I appreciate the opportunity!

Brandon

I've given this some thought, and while a big part of me says I'm not ready, I think I'll step out of my comfort zone and participate.

You're certainly welcome as far as I know. WV isn't that far from the Gathering, either, you should try to come down. It's always good to meet other makers and steal - I mean share ideas :p

EDIT: it occurs to me that the testers may not have measuring tools, so I'll be bringing a rule and digital calipers in case they want to compare edge thicknesses and whatnot. Anyone have a reasonably accurate scale that doesn't need to be plugged in?

Back