The Official Lanyard Thread

ChazzyP

Platinum Member
Lots of us like to tie paracord, leather thong, or other materials through the lanyard holes in our folders for safety, retention, withdrawal, or simply for decorative value. Lots of those add-ons include threaded items that could be made of various metals, wood, glass, whatever. These could be simple beads or found items and there are also those who favor skulls, demons, and other darker-themed decoration. There are an awful lot of knots and ties both simple and complex. There are many knife knuts that haven't any use for hanging something off the butt of their blades but many do enjoy adding something personal without the need of more extensive modding to the knife.

There's a really broad spectrum of choices and tastes and it would cool if you would Show Us Your Lanyards and share some comments, techniques, sources, and ideas.

A couple notes:

Mods: I'd like to leave this in General Knife Discussion as I think we might get a broader audience here. However, it's your prerogative to move this should you see fit and I'm cool with what you think most appropriate.

One Caveat: There was a nice thread started back before Christmas in which a new member sought some input on the function and use of lanyards on knives. It didn't take long for someone to quote reference material and point out that what most knife guys, makers, and others call lanyards are, by definition, properly called fobs and that lanyards are actually attachments made to go around a thumb, wrist, shoulder, or other body part. That individual kept hammering away at that subject and, joined by others, managed to effectively side-track and pretty much ruin a fun thread. Anyway, I readily acknowledge my own and popular (mis)use of the term "lanyards", but that's what they're generally known as and what we're talkin' about here. Please refrain from discussing semantics here and share your pics, techniques, and ideas on topic instead.

Here's my Hinderer 3.5" XM18 with brass accents and its new gray 550 paracord lanyard with stonewashed brass TEC bead.

KWQvMi3.jpg

Last edited:
I always wondered why people put "official" in a thread title. Is there a form you have to fill out?

Wait a sec......you didn't get the memo??? I'll get your name on the list!!
[emoji51][emoji51]

Hey Steve!! I love lany.......whatever we're calling them now!
This is one of my faves, wish I could take credit for it, but Steve Ketchen made the fob and tied the knot.
581 with SK scales, lanyard and custom fob thingy!! Makes removing the knife from my pocket, even with gloves, very easy.
Love the job he did!
Joe
4fa8e5c5d892c9011e8ac173d92a81c3.jpg

a271e80ba523777af0f4cade3bd13237.jpg

a513cd7268c1de91a1fff7549accee19.jpg

I always liked that bead he made for you. I can't recall--do you have a white one for your other paired Barrage?

Yup!! It is the reverse of this one. I'll post pics of it after work brother!
I love Steve's work!
Joe

I kept losing my SAK's when not carrying them in a flapped, nylon belt sheath. I finally got to carrying my One-Handed SAK (OH SAK) on a 1/8-inch, bungie type lanyard about 18-inches long, with the OH SAK in my right front trouser pocket. I put a loop on one end, run the lanyard around my belt and back thru the loop. I can do about 95% of what I need to do with the lanyard around the belt, if not I do not have to undo the belt, just run the OH SAK back thru the loop, re-attaching is also easy. I started carrying the OH SAK like this in 2001, and still have the same knife, so so far it is working well. John

Last edited:
Fob, lanyard, whatever you call it, the ones on my folders are pretty dirty from seeing a lot of use. Is that going to matter?

Fob, lanyard, whatever you call it, the ones on my folders are pretty dirty from seeing a lot of use. Is that going to matter?

It takes more than dirty string to offend most of the guys around here, Charlie.

Here are a few of mine. Got lucky with that Spydie fob.
Bought scales on the Exchange and the seller threw it in! Too cool!!
Joe
577231cb721dd627ef83ee1078ee001b.jpg

Nice pic, Joe. And there you go teasing me with that sweet orange and black Para2 again!

Last edited:
Who me Steve......an enabler???? No way!!! My fave Para 2!!

Last year. Dna lanyard during my short relationship with a 13. Sharpest knife i ever owned. It was actually scary how thin the edge would get. Im going to stop being lazy and make one for my edc.

Last edited:
I probably have pulls on half of the folders I carry. I've just gotten use to hooking my pinky finger around it to start extraction. Then the rest of my hand is open to grip more of the frame. Most of mine are simple whip ties (wraps?). Some with beads, some not, and some with knots. [emoji16]

2vs3wuw.jpg

4g2q6d.jpg

9azc49.jpg

2nrer8m.jpg

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

I picked up a user large Sebenza 21 Insingo with Micarta inlays last month and wanted to find a Micarta bead to go along with it. I found this one at Maverick Workshop. Greg does some really fine small batch work in several metals and various other materials.

I used some Licorice 550 cord that I had lying around on this one, but am thinking of changing it out as I have that on a bunch of knives and just got in a batch of new colors and patterns.

8l2k1Kh.jpg

Last edited:
I probably have pulls on half of the folders I carry. I've just gotten use to hooking my pinky finger around it to start extraction. Then the rest of my hand is open to grip more of the frame. Most of mine are simple whip ties (wraps?). Some with beads, some not, and some with knots. [emoji16]

2nrer8m.jpg

•••••••••••••••
Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

What's that knife in the foreground, bflying? Nice blade shape!

Back