The Official Lanyard Thread

This thread is an inspiration to learn more knotsas the snake and cobra are my only knots at present. I make lanyards for use on key chains for veterans and thier trained service dogs making it easier for the dogs to pick the keys up.
upload_2019-2-23_23-54-30.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-23_23-51-15.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-23_23-51-15.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I hadn't thought of the differences in cord being due to different materials. I'll have to go through what I have--probably 15 or so hanks--and see if there are any marked labels in what bags I have left. Judging from what you've said, Stumpy, I'm guessing that the softer, more pliable cord I favor is likely nylon/nylon which is much easier to form and holds shape better.
I read a post about problems in fusing poly and nylon cords together. When being heated or melted, poly behaves different than nylon. It makes fusing them together difficult, so that steered me into using nylon/nylon cord. I also found that poly seems stiffer and isn’t as cooperative as nylon when it comes to tying the more complicated decorative knots. It’s probably fine for general use, but I like nylon/nylon cord better for lanyard use.

I have no good local outlets for buying cord, so I ended buying online from Paracord Galaxy. They specify the materials of all their cords (which means a lot to me) and their inventory of available colors and thicknesses is extensive. They enabled me to get into nylon/nylon in different thicknesses and a world of different colors.

Now all I have to do is build some proficiency at tying lanyards. I’m only just starting to obtain a basic grasp of proportion, balance, etc, but this morning’s effort came out fairly well:
80d1496c-d6ed-427a-bf8c-e1df0fbb8252-original.jpg

Last edited:
I read a post about problems in fusing poly and nylon cords together. When being heated or melted, poly behaves different than nylon. It makes fusing them together difficult, so that steered me into using nylon/nylon cord. I also found that poly seems stiffer and isn’t as cooperative as nylon when it comes to tying the more complicated decorative knots. It’s probably fine for general use, but I like nylon/nylon cord better for lanyard use.

I have no good local outlets for buying cord, so I ended buying online from Paracord Galaxy. They specify the materials of all their cords (which means a lot to me) and their inventory of available colors and thicknesses is extensive. They enabled me to get into nylon/nylon in different thicknesses and a world of different colors.

Now all I have to do is build some proficiency at tying lanyards. I’m only just starting to obtain a basic grasp of proportion, balance, etc, but this morning’s effort came out fairly well:
80d1496c-d6ed-427a-bf8c-e1df0fbb8252-original.jpg
Thanks for the tip on Paracord Galaxy. I just checked them out and saw that all their cord materials were spec'd jacket and inner strands as you mentioned. Their prices look good too. I've had good luck buying from Bored Paracord since switching to them, and, looking at their site just now, see that they mention all their 550 is 100% new nylon. I stopped buying from the Big River Site and their primary vendor as what I received from them was very spotty. I have several hanks I purchased there that I'll never use for lanyards and just kept for utility around the house and carry in the truck for general use.

I see you favor the same method I employ for lanyards on CRKs, eschewing the pin and simply going through the vacated hole. Some will say that you have to untie the lanyard to take your knife apart, but I don't mind leaving the slabs joined by the cord if completely disassembling, and of course the preferred method re-lubing a 21 leaves the slabs together and requires just pulling the blade, washers, and pivot bearing out the front anyway. One could always tie the lanyard around just one slab as well, similar to a Shiro F95 with the single-slab lanyard hole.

Here's a couple 21s with lanyard pins removed and the cord through both holes along with a Plain Jane 25 which features no hole and a single rear post to wrap a lanyard around...

4K4Qahs.jpg

...and here's my 25 StarBenza similarly tied plus my StarTac which has the pin removed and replaced by a second rear post (the @Norvox Mod) with the cord wrapped around that.

N4MGElg.jpg

Thusly...

NdpYxem.jpg

Thanks for the tip on Paracord Galaxy. I just checked them out and saw that all their cord materials were spec'd jacket and inner strands as you mentioned. Their prices look good too. I've had good luck buying from Bored Paracord since switching to them, and, looking at their site just now, see that they mention all their 550 is 100% new nylon. I stopped buying from the Big River Site and their primary vendor as what I received from them was very spotty. I have several hanks I purchased there that I'll never use for lanyards and just kept for utility around the house and carry in the truck for general use.

I see you favor the same method I employ for lanyards on CRKs, eschewing the pin and simply going through the vacated hole. Some will say that you have to untie the lanyard to take your knife apart, but I don't mind leaving the slabs joined by the cord if completely disassembling, and of course the preferred method re-lubing a 21 leaves the slabs together and requires just pulling the blade, washers, and pivot bearing out the front anyway. One could always tie the lanyard around just one slab as well, similar to a Shiro F95 with the single-slab lanyard hole.
When I disassemble my CRK's for cleaning I’ll probably just cut the lanyard off and tie another one on after the knife is reassembled. Cord is cheap, I’m retired and have too much free time to burn and it’ll help me build tying proficiency. Besides, I’ve got eleven 100’ hanks of cord to play with, so that pile will outlive me if I don’t make a point of using it up.

When I disassemble my CRK's for cleaning I’ll probably just cut the lanyard off and tie another one on after the knife is reassembled. Cord is cheap, I’m retired and have too much free time to burn and it’ll help me build tying proficiency. Besides, I’ve got eleven 100’ hanks of cord to play with, so that pile will outlive me if I don’t make a point of using it up.
There's definitely something to be said for tying up a fresh one. If your knives are users, it doesn't take long for a handsome lanyard to turn into a dirty piece of string. :p

Thanks for the tip on Paracord Galaxy guys!!!

The beads matches great with the pivot collar. I'm really pleasantly surprised by how much I love and carry the Crooked River.

I like that idea, Inspiribomb Inspiribomb . :thumbsup::cool: I just looked through my stuff and all I have for O-rings is a 40-50 year supply of tiny ones for my StarTac's thumbstud/bladestops. Way too small, so I'll pocket my Crooked River next time I'm headed to the hardware store to fit a few on that bead. :)

The beads matches great with the pivot collar. I'm really pleasantly surprised by how much I love and carry the Crooked River.
Yeah, I'm really pleased to have mine. I bought my son one a couple years back and have wanted one for myself since that model first came out. This one came off the Exchange as brand new as could be for eighty bucks off current retail. I like big knives, don't mind a bit of weight--especially for a work/hard-duty user--and it fits my hand just great. It came with a quite sharp, toothy, BM working edge that'll sharpen up great with its excellent plunge grind/sharpening choil configuration. :D

Back