The Official Lanyard Thread

Do you have a recommended vid that shows how to make this Wide Diamond knot? and nice work by the way :)
G2
Hey Gary, thanks for the kind words. I was gonna quote your Ace Grand post to tell you how much I like that knife as well as mentioning that I wished one could get more patterns and colors in that 750/11-strand cord you used. Sometimes it's a good choice, like for exaggerating a regular diamond knot you did there or on the fat and loose ones I made for my Rainmaker to shield the handles from the giant bead I put on it.

Anyway, scroll back to Post #702 for the link I left there for Halden on the Wide Diamond knot. I had already tried the Double Diamond from the same instructor, but found it overly complicated. I really like that Wide Diamond of his and might change out my Rainmaker, though I kinda like it the way it is.

And, just because I carried it yesterday and have some fresh pics of the SHF...

HwQ5HAW.jpg

Thanks boss, I did see that video when I searched for that knot but I didn't 'get' it :) but will persevere and keep working on it, I like the form and flow it has.
G2

Ugh, well I think I tied it and it is larger than a regular diamond knot for sure but I did not find it too easy to try and snug things up as well as I do on my diamond knots, so...I'll probably stick with my diamond knots as they work pretty well and are not too big...not too small, about right ;)
G2

Ugh, well I think I tied it and it is larger than a regular diamond knot for sure but I did not find it too easy to try and snug things up as well as I do on my diamond knots, so...I'll probably stick with my diamond knots as they work pretty well and are not too big...not too small, about right ;)
G2
It's certainly not an easy one to cinch up, Gary, but, like any knot, the more bends in it, the harder it's gonna be to tighten up right, keep all the lobes balanced, and especially get it pulled up tight against a bead or another object. Those of us knife guys adding lanyards are especially aware of how much harder it is to tie good-looking knots onto a dead weight than it is to tie them on cord alone.

It took me quite a few tries to get the Wide Diamond right just practicing with cord and doing my first onto my SHF was a whole 'nother learning curve. I did find that once I had it right and became more familiar with the paths through the knot that it was more a matter of patience than anything else to get it cinched, though it's involved enough that if you get one end or lobe overly tight you're basically hosed. :mad:

As to your lanyards, well, there's nothing wrong with sticking with your own characteristic and distinct style with your diamond knots, narrow beads, and whipping that's most attractive and always executed to perfection. I'll run into a random knife pic somewhere here at BF, take one look at the lanyard and not have to do any research to know that it was bought off the Exchange from our friend G2. :)

Last edited:
Thanks brother that’ll save me some grief but one to keep in the back of my mind when I do have need of a bigger knot
G2

I got a couple new hanks of 550 paracord yesterday, both all Nylon inside and out as it's much softer, slacker, and lays better than that with a polyester shell. I wanted a gray to replace the polyester one I had and meant to order a new color--Marigold--I'd seen but mistakenly picked Goldenrod. I've gone ahead and ordered the former, but kinda like the two-toned yellow and gold of the one I bought in error.

I fooled around with the Goldenrod, tying a few familiar knots. Left to right are the recently learned Wide Diamond, the usual Diamond (known by some as the False Turks Head), the Extended Crown and Diamond, and a regular Crown and Diamond.

8yBiBoP.jpg

The new gray paracord I mentioned above was for my blue Biryukov #10. I had the polyester-shelled gray on that one, but really dislike the stiffness of it, particularly as the lanyard attachment is so tight that the cord all but stuck straight out the back. I also received my third TiCreatures bead in the last few months--each one slightly smaller than the last--and added that with the new cord to the knife last night, replacing the blue glass bead that was on there as something of a placeholder.

I started out with a pair of single Crown and Diamonds surrounding the bead and liked the way it looked, but the bead hit against the clip and I didn't want to mark it up as I really like the finish on that side of the knife. I went with a couple of single Diamonds instead which will keep the Ti side clean and cut down on the clanking noise as I walk about.

mYhWNvz.jpg

fEyAQVw.jpg

v6NuqwL.jpg

I posted a couple pics of this one and a bit about the cord and lanyard over at the EDC thread a little while ago. I'm sure we've all had those things we've worked on that have left us kinda head-shakingly dissatisfied and this is one of 'em. I saw this color cord on someone else's Natural Micarta CRK here along with an NM bead and really liked it. The color is Marigold, a sorta matte or tannish gold that would be nicely complementary to the overall muted vibe of that knife. I was gonna put it on my new 31, but went with the brighter red/yellow Vibrations and a small bead on that one and like the way it came out (it's back at Post #700).

Anyway, I got the Marigold from a supplier ending in Planet using their own website instead of their more usual sales venue at the Big River Site. Now I've bought cord from them before and have not always been satisfied as I've ended up with some polyester-shelled from them that's way too stiff. This one was specifically Nylon/Nylon and while it was that and the color was true to what I wanted, the jacket is way too big for its 7-strand interior, almost like it's 750 cord gutted, and it lays too flat, tending to twist easily and come out lumpy. I tied one up last night on my NM Inkosi and wasn't happy with it, so I re-did everything again this afternoon, making sure not to pull the Diamond knots too tight. It's better, but I'm still not really very pleased with it. I do like the color and it is nice and soft, but.... :confused::(

KlY5Isp.jpg

bcQEZpr.jpg

Check out the cord from the first one after I untied it....

zh2Ndp4.jpg

Last edited:
That's a rough duty looking cord, anyone would suffer a hard time trying to tie with that stuff ! yikes!
The new one and bead look great though, very nice work.

And this just in, Bradford G-Necker, I did a whipping knot of paracord on the handle and put some super glue to help it to bond together better and of course added a nice bobtail fob using the heavier 11 stranded paracord.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Gutted diamond knot to ungutted wide diamond knot :cool:

E2-AB4076-CC2-A-40-CD-974-A-2-A22-D725-F98-D.jpg

90-EA7-E61-4508-4-C49-AC97-D1841-B8-B79-DA.jpg

Had to try to figure it out how im gonna passed this cord between the standoff and the edge of the blade. If i left the strand ungutted, it touches ever so slightly the edge of the blade, so i pulled a bit (about 3 inches of guts) out and managed to clear just enough between them. Used the Manny method to join the strands together and hides it inside the first diamond knot and voilà!

Edit: Typo

Last edited:
Had a knife visit for a sheath build and I talked the owner into letting me replace the thin cord he had with a slightly thicker cord as the sheath retains the knife pretty strong. But he wanted it simple, so I tied a diamond knot and then I did three snake knots to finish it off, my first attempt and I like the looks of it, neat knot. And also did a whipping knot near the end of the knife so the lanyard doesn't flop around as much.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Back