"The OG"

SpyderPhreak

Rocketman for hire
Platinum Member
So, here's an early Redmeadow creation, back from just prior to the birth of this subforum. :cool: It's unnamed, but I'm calling it "The OG". Why? Well because according to Mr. John Conner, this knife had a lot of firsts in its creation. It was his first stick tang (which I believe also means it was his first peened tang), his first soldered guard (it's a fitted guard, per John, below), and his first stacked leather! The name just fits IMO. :D

It's high-polished O1, with copper guard and butt, and African Blackwood, maroon micarta, and Aluminum spacers. :cool::thumbsup: 🔥 The copper has taken on a really, really nice patina over the past ~5 years.

There haven't been too many pictures of this beauty posted here, so I thought I'd remedy that injustice. ;) I'll take some more tomorrow, hopefully in some better light.

IMG_6957.jpg

A little fill-flash on this one.
IMG_6958.jpg

In the fresh Phlox coming up in the flower garden... ;) 😂
IMG_6956.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a beauty, Jared. Everything about it is just stellar.

If ever I had to name my favorite knife this would be the one. A very close second would be the D Guard, for these both to be in the same hands is cool.

That guard isn't soldered though, I was so intimidated by soldering at the time that it's fit by hand. It took me forever but came out pretty well if I recall correctly. Nice one Jared!!!

If ever I had to name my favorite knife this would be the one. A very close second would be the D Guard, for these both to be in the same hands is cool.
That IS pretty cool! :D :cool:

That guard isn't soldered though, I was so intimidated by soldering at the time that it's fit by hand. It took me forever but came out pretty well if I recall correctly. Nice one Jared!!!
Ah, wow. Really? Holy cow, I cannot see any hint of a seam, dang. Figured it was soldered for sure. I'll edit the OP. Damn nice work!!! :thumbsup:

Sweet looking knife, the spacers really make the knife standout :thumbsup:
what’s the measurement

That's a very special knife that has great memories for me and was the hardest to let go of. We, my GF and I had almost forced ourselves on the Redmeadow clan when picking it up in person, inviting ourselves to stay the night. As the master craftsman and I got acquainted and he became more comfortable with these strangers that had arrived on his stoop, with tequila, lies, and laughter flowing, we soon realized we couldn't leave our full shot glasses unattended. Mysteriously, they seemed to be self-emptying, all the while the ladies laughed.

We'll leave the story there for now. It was a hell of an evening under the stars, and one I'll never forgot. Thanks John and fam for the hospitality and memories, and to Jared for stepping up. You've got something pretty darn special there buddy, one of a kind. Good times.

Sheldon, it's an honor to own this one! The Bowie too. This is growing on me, quickly! I'm quite fond of it. 🥰😍

Sweet looking knife, the spacers really make the knife standout :thumbsup:
what’s the measurement
I love pretty much everything about this knife. Damn near perfect IMO. :cool: It's 8" OAL, 3 3/4" guard to tip, 3 5/16" cutting edge. Slightly under 7/8" edge-to-spine. Nice palm swell in the middle, I'll have to get a spine shot tomorrow.

I'm very fortunate to have 4 of the master craftsman works of functional art. All of them see pocket or belt time one way or another. My "OG" RM is a Camp chopper we sort of collaborated on a few years back.. ( okay John did most of the collaborating) Everything about this piece just works, I have used and abused it and the beast will hold up to anything I put it through. In a Zombie apocalypse it would be my go to for just about everything. Also it's kind of special as it is dedicated to a pet I just lost, thanks again John.
93aNGOt.jpg

Beautiful blades! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Only have the Cowbell so far, but hope to rectify that

I'm very fortunate to have 4 of the master craftsman works of functional art. All of them see pocket or belt time one way or another. My "OG" RM is a Camp chopper we sort of collaborated on a few years back.. ( okay John did most of the collaborating) Everything about this piece just works, I have used and abused it and the beast will hold up to anything I put it through. In a Zombie apocalypse it would be my go to for just about everything. Also it's kind of special as it is dedicated to a pet I just lost, thanks again John.
93aNGOt.jpg
The Bocote looks really nice on that blade Scott! Especially in combination with the copper. :thumbsup: Sweet knife!

I am at 10 Redmeadow blades now, with #11 (wharncliffe Cowbell) coming soon... :eek:

The Bocote looks really nice on that blade Scott! Especially in combination with the copper. :thumbsup: Sweet knife!

I am at 10 Redmeadow blades now, with #11 (wharncliffe Cowbell) coming soon... :eek:
You might have a problem...... :rolleyes: 😁

So took some more pictures of The OG. I can't get the maroon micarta to show up too well in photos. It is pretty dark, but it pops more IRL. 🤷‍♂️

First couple here are just different lighting.
IMG_6978.jpg

IMG_6981.jpg

I like how the lighting here accentuates the maker's mark. :cool:
IMG_6982.jpg

Tryin' to show the green/blue patina on that badonkadonk, lol...
IMG_6983.jpg

IMG_6984.jpg

IMG_6985.jpg

A close-up of the handle, tryin to show the maroon micarta.
IMG_6986.jpg

Spine shots. Shows off the handle swell nicely.
IMG_6989.jpg

IMG_6988.jpg

Last edited:
93aNGOt.jpg

Love seeing that one. Truly some great pieces here. I feel very fortunate to possess the few that I have.

This is the biggest one I have - many thanks to RayseM RayseM for making this available to me awhile back.

TWj5k0e.jpg

Back