The old (and new) school Schrade thread

Still searching for information about when this knife was made, not much luck. One of Asten's major products was something called 'dryer felts' used in the Manufacture of paper. Google told me that they were involved in a lawsuit, asbestos-related. Asten is still in business, now known as Asten-Johnson.

This thread shows the need for a good reference book for the Scrhade Walden years, something along the lines of what Robert Clemente did for the OT and UH models. It will only get harder to do in years to come as memories fade and what records there are disappear.

Worth the bid price, I would say. Very nice knife.

Phil

The 225 Hunter patern has been around since the 20's
It was called the 210(n) in the reprint catalog where n stands for the handle material.

The 1953 S/W catalog shows the 225H (H stands for Hole in rear bolster for our famous thong)
It cost $4.95 in 1955.

I dont know when this one was built but it looks very nice.

TTYL
Larry

Thanks for the leg work guys!

When it comes I'll get some better shots and report on condition, really looking forward to getting this one!

I've got a few of the 225H, but they are used, not pristine like that piece. Very sweet. I don't always like to carry a fixed blade, and they aren't really allowed anymore at scout camps (or really anywhere for that matter), so I usually take a 225H with me. It's beefy enough, but can be folded down into a sheath.

Thanks for keeping this going guys. Don't get me wrong, I love the OT's and UH's as much as anyone. It's just that now with everything happening with Schrade and all, I thought it would be nice to celebrate its' history (at least as far back as I can take it).

So now on with the show...

Here's another 896. Is this what they call "Wonda-wood"?

Misc079.jpg

and a nice well used stockman... Pattern #822, about 3 7/8" long.

Misc049.jpg

and a 293 in yellow delrin...293Y pattern, about 3 7/8" long.

Misc074.jpg

Glenn

I happen to have a mint stainless 296Y in my case of FOLDERS. It was the last of stock from a defunct Freds store and Margret sold it to me at the 1982 sticker price of $11.00. It is really too nice for EDC (and big at 4 3/16"), but maybe it is the start of a yellow frame of folders and fixed. I had a much smaller yellow stockman years ago, and the yellow is quite attractive. Maybe someone not "pic-post handicapped" can put up a picture of that model. Perhaps with a quarter or dime for scale.

Codger

How about my favorite Imperial knife? Yeah, 'low cost' generally comes to mind, and you would be right in this case. Larry pointed me towards these, as a companion to my old Imperial Survival knife. They shared advertising.

Inexpensive, serviceable, and because I frequently go hunting having forgotten my knife, I have enough of these to slip one in every huntings vest/jacket/coat. Have one of the sheaths sewn to my camo bow hunting vest.

You can see one of them that I have added a one armed bandit to, and drilled a lanyard hole. Haven't gotten around to sleeving the hole with a .22 mag shell yet.

Phil

Imperial5715.jpg

Geez, Phil...

I'm lucky to have one of something, and you produce multiple copies of the same thing. I'm jealous, of course, and hope to be written into your will. I do yard work, you know...you too Rich. There's enough of me to go around. :D

Here's another contribution:

a 774, we can still call this a congress if it is only 2 blades, right?

774.jpg

and a utitlity / TL-29 pattern

Misc060.jpg

and a slightly used Bowie commemorative

Misc052.jpg

Glenn

A USED Bowie folder? Never saw a used one before. Great find. You can carry it and not have a worry in the world.

Some crackpots call two-bladed Congress patterns 'Senator' knives. I guess because the Senate has fewer A-holes than the House of Representatives. But to me it's a Congress, and that is a dandy.

I wonder who made more TL-29s, Camillus or Schrade? And on the Camillus subject, Tom Williams (Camco) is back (on the Camillus forum), answering historical questions ON HIS OWN TIME (he retired from Cam). He does know his stuff, stop and say hi to him. He has always been helpful to me.

Phil

As I said a few things have been coming up but I did want to post a few pics on this thread the first 4 are the bottom row of an original Schrade Cut display. circa 1920 ( give or take. It is a pain ( time consuming), to take them out so it is looking through glass. These are all bone or cell and all Schrade Cuts pre 46. Notice the Schrade Cut sheath knife in one ot the pics. also some toothpicks and 2 trappers with the arrow shield. ( look it up if you have the time) it is a good idea to be able to recognize these. Most of these are in unused condition. One pic are some tourqs ( never factory made ) all however are Schrade knives. LT PS There are just to many to do a proper job on the pics. Sorry although it is a great problem to have. PPS Not enough picture room to show the top shelf of this Schrade cut display. there are a few dozen on the upper shelf.

Great stuff, LT. I knew you had some beauties tucked away. I understand that it's a pain to get them out. If you get a chance, snap some 'feature' pics of some obscure stuff. That's the stuff I like, off the beaten path (much like myself).

I see a few that look like a "scout" pattern. I really like those, they are very heavy and solidly built. I like to collect that pattern, but don't have a budget for the "showroom" pieces that are on ebay. So I collect cheaper ones, like Imperials, Camco's, and Hammer's.

Well, anyway, thanks for sharing.

Glenn

Not to try and derail the thread again but I just got the "Asten" Shrade-Walden folding hunter and I'm just sick about it.

I bought this thing to use and it's in dead-mint condition! (I mean cleaner than most factory slips I've purchased brand new lately)

I'm certainly not a collector since I like to use everything I own, but the thought of throwing this classic beauty into the rotation has even me a little ill.... :barf:

Been there done that, got the hat(s). Now you have an excuse to watch for a good deal on a user of the same pattern. Sometimes I get the user, then the mint, but you takes the deals the way they are delt!

Codger

LT, just great. I like the way you display those beauties. Love those toothpicks! Thanks for showing, I have been waiting for your contribution here.

cpirtle, I feel your pain. The knife looked good on Ebay, but I wouldn't have expected it to be dead mint. Welcome to the world of collecting!
Phil

cpirtle,
I got a good used 25OT I'll trade you for the Dead-Mint hunter.. :rolleyes:
Its a beauty as we have all said.

TTYL
Larry

I really wanted to post a lot more on this thread but it has not been something that has not been time wise, possible. I decided to add these few pics of the 1953 ( Year From memory ) Esquire ad Schrade gents gold edition. It is one of my displays which does not require dismantling. However, even though it is no excuse, time again has made these pics not the quality they should be. In any event this is the original knife in the original wooden box with the original advertisment which appeared in Esquire mag and the original cardboard box it came in. LT PS all as new old stock except for the ad.

I got a copy of that ad and was happy. You continue to amaze. Knife, box and everything..Keep it up!

LT,

That is an exceptionally cool knife and display. Very special, indeed.

I'm convinced you have Jim's "Sandbar Knife" somewhere in your massive collection of great knives.

Look up, look up..... :D

Bill

Great one, LT. Very classy knife. Thanks as always. You live with all these things, so maybe you get used to them... but us guys love seeing your knives.
Phil

Here is a vintage 834 I have had for at least 25 years.. it is pretty worn and on the retired shelf.. but still cuts like crazy and solid as a rock.. cept the chipped blade..

picture0297dz.jpg

picture0336xp.jpg

Back