The Orca: Eric Ochs design, Reate build, Massdrop release

You really want to jump to personal attacks? That's just not the samurai way.

The goal wasn't to attack you but perhaps highlight the folly of posting nonsense on every thread regarding a non-supporting maker. No need for that.

I can see it now, Mass Drop reading through every single Bladeforums mention of them, elated with the publicity, yet, terrified of the BF Crusader, Yo Mama

This made me literally LOL. The screen name couldn't have been more perfectly suited for the comment.

Folks xan squabble all they want about it... this is a Reate with Ti frame, g10 scales and RWL34 for under $200. Win.

MD is a weird vendor. They barely qualify as a retailer, if at all, and they don't really make anything... I don't see why they need to be a supporting "dealer". It would be great if they were, but I dont think they need to be. The MD exclusives also can't be had via a supporting dealer, so it's not like they're in direct competition with any forum supporter.

Yep. My understanding is that, by including the price, even without a link....its a deal spot.

Is it a deal spot if the item can't be had from any other vendor at any price? Not really a deal at that point... its just what the price is.

I have no dog in this fight btw. The only thing I've bought from Massdrop was a pair of Vibram 5 finger shoes.

Thanks. The upgraded version looks fantastic, well worth $300.
Definitely worth it. Many of Reate's knives are more than $400 new and still without the fancy carbon fiber and Moku-Ti materials.
From my experience they all have excellent build quality and opening action.

We know how you feel about logos. Don't buy the knife.

Ok, I wasn't going to get involved but I've gotta call you out on some of these comments. There's too much "wrong" in what you've said to let it stand as valid info. No reputation? Serious? So, you've never handled a Reate? Their reputation precedes them. If you can get a hold of one, I highly recommend it. They make some of the best production knives in the business. The knife seems a bargain given the high level of production Reate delivers. This would land the Orca as the cheapest Reate since the Hills and D9 were first available.
Because some people, like me, enjoy multiple options for opening a folder. Sometimes its best to not flip your knife open in a blur and lock solidly with a "thunk" when in the workplace. Options are good. Sorry, but there doesn't appear to be a place to apply a zip tie.
Right...RWL34 is last century steel? Dude, you must own a light saber! 4.75oz is a brick for a 3.5" blade with full liners? Are you just upset about everything in general today?
Please detail how many MD developed knives you've purchased? You're opinion is wrong and could use some updating. I agree that we're in a sticky situation discussing MD knives with their forum status in question, but to deny they've brought some of the best new knives to market over the last year and a half is terribly uninformed.

"No reputation? Serious? So, you've never handled a Reate?" Sorry, I meant this model has no reputation. That's one of the fundamental flaws with Massdrop that makes them a company that sells hype not knives. You are expected to pre-buy a knife nobody has held, tested, etc. The ergos could suck but you won't know until months later when it arrives. There are too many serious knife companies with models that are known to be good to risk $ on a hyped future knife. Plus this isn't a Reate knife, it's a Massdrop knife they produce. The best execution of a knife can't save a flawed design. At least with a new Spyderco or Benchmade you know it's a new design by a company dedicated to knives...what's Massdrop dedicated to? They sell a lot more than knives.

Right...RWL34 is last century steel? Dude, you must own a light saber! From what I remember RWL34 came out in the late 1990s. I think it's comparable to CPM154. Good steel, but not really special. My $190 Microtech UT70 has M360 and is made in the US by a company dedicated to knives...and it's an out-the-front auto :)

Are you just upset about everything in general today? Thanks for asking, but I'm having a good day. I just think people should skip the hype and support the part of the industry dedicated to knives and money, not just money.

Is it a deal spot if the item can't be had from any other vendor at any price? Not really a deal at that point... its just what the price is.

I believe so. Prices and/or links to nonsupporting retailers appear to be an issue.

Easily enough avoided by just leaving out the price.

I went in on this drop (CF/purple) because I wanted a slightly larger knife than most of the folders I have, and I've been impressed with Reate-built knives. I have a Todd Begg Mini Glimpse that also is made by Reate, and it's an extremely well made knife. I have another Massdrop knife - original Ferrum Forge Falcon, made by WE Knives - and it is a great knife for the price. I've been more attracted to the collaborations that these Chinese manufacturers have had with US or European designers (Ferrum Forge, Eric Ochs) than their own designs, which can be a bit out there.

I believe so. Prices and/or links to nonsupporting retailers appear to be an issue.

I try to leave out the price when discussing their knives but I'm still not entirely comfortable saying "It's a bargain" or "less than a Benchmade 940", etc. Any comment that can give an impression of price or relative value is still kind of deal spotting. It makes it hard to discuss knives that, by all rights, should be discussed at the leading edge of knife discussion.

It would be so much easier if they forked over the $350 for a Dealer Membership, lol. Maybe Massdrop needs a Go-Fund-Me for BF membership.

"No reputation? Serious? So, you've never handled a Reate?" Sorry, I meant this model has no reputation. That's one of the fundamental flaws with Massdrop that makes them a company that sells hype not knives. You are expected to pre-buy a knife nobody has held, tested, etc. The ergos could suck but you won't know until months later when it arrives. There are too many serious knife companies with models that are known to be good to risk $ on a hyped future knife. Plus this isn't a Reate knife, it's a Massdrop knife they produce. The best execution of a knife can't save a flawed design. At least with a new Spyderco or Benchmade you know it's a new design by a company dedicated to knives...what's Massdrop dedicated to? They sell a lot more than knives.
By this logic, nobody should ever order a custom.

This knife in question IS a model with a reputation. It's based on an Ochs custom design. In fact, most of the Massdrop developed knives have been based on existing customs that I could never afford to own (well, maybe I could own some but I also like staying married). There's no denying that Massdrop is involved in a lot of things besides knives; from quilts to sunglasses. For their knife business they tend to stick with designs and designers who are proven in the industry, including Spyderco's Sal Glesser and the first "legal" use of the Benchmade Axis Lock.

Right...RWL34 is last century steel? Dude, you must own a light saber! From what I remember RWL34 came out in the late 1990s. I think it's comparable to CPM154. Good steel, but not really special. My $190 Microtech UT70 has M360 and is made in the US by a company dedicated to knives...and it's an out-the-front auto :)
Yeah, the RWL34 is actually a souped up Swedish version of ATS34, which is definitely a steel from the 90's. RWL34 is a Martensitic Powder Metallurgy steel however, which I believe is still quite modern by most current standards. I have two knives with it and like it quite a bit. Reate has transitioned over to RWL34 in most of their new knives because they feel it works easier and performs better than S35VN. This new Orca may actually be the cheapest knife you can find in this steel.

Are you just upset about everything in general today? Thanks for asking, but I'm having a good day. I just think people should skip the hype and support the part of the industry dedicated to knives and money, not just money.
I'm glad you're having a good day. My day will get significantly better when the weekend finally arrives. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about Massdrop developed knives being hype. I've been impressed with most of what I've seen them do and am glad they're around to help make some of these knives happen. Based on my interactions with them, I believe they are enthusiastic about knives and not just money. Thank goodness we're all free to express our opinions! Enjoy your knives.

I try to leave out the price when discussing their knives but I'm still not entirely comfortable saying "It's a bargain" or "less than a Benchmade 940", etc. Any comment that can give an impression of price or relative value is still kind of deal spotting. It makes it hard to discuss knives that, by all rights, should be discussed at the leading edge of knife discussion.

It would be so much easier if they forked over the $350 for a Dealer Membership, lol. Maybe Massdrop needs a Go-Fund-Me for BF membership.
Lol. Go fund me. They can swing it im sure.

I don't like the ffkw knives from we/MD. Think that a pm2, pm3 and manix2 are all better knives by a long shot for a similar price. Poorly designed imho. Very much hype. The Bob t. knife is also hype imho. But I didn't get that one. The purpetua is nice and I didn't get one because of the blade steel and its low hrc. But it's likely to be the first axis lock with good qc. Think they'll be shipping soon.

With that said I'm getting in on the reate oches knife. I can always put a nice hand rub satin on the flats where the MD logo is if need be but it doesn't bother me. Worlds better than the original logo they had on my ffkw version.

Went with the cf and purple Mokuti. Only 200 will be made (unknown if they will re run it again). So should be fairly rare. It's reate quality so price can only go up on the 2ndary. I like the makers knives but can't afford the customs. I'm not thrilled with the harpoon but it's better on this model than most of the ones I've seen. Rather not have it but what ev's.

Would have liked to see action videos for them before getting one. They need to do this every time yet don't always. Hopefully someone will review it soon.

Rwl34 is not a bad steel but would have liked to see a higher wearing steel on at least the cf versions for $20 more. To bad they didn't. At least it's easy to sharpen and wears about s35vn or a bit lower for edge retention.

Tbo I'd rather have the sharp by design micro that's made by reate. But I missed out on it. Hoping to find one on 2ndary in the distant future.

Last edited:

Technically I'm sure this is correct. Though, I don't think the "spirit" of that rule is really in jeopardy with these sort of knives.

I suspect the deal spotting rule was put in place to prevent instances where forum members were encouraged to buy from a non-supporting dealer to save a few bucks.

You can't buy these anywhere else, so no one's losing out.

I don't like the ffkw knives from we/MD. Think that a pm2, pm3 and manix2 are all better knives by a long shot for a similar price. Poorly designed imho. Very much hype. The Bob t. knife is also hype imho. But I didn't get that one. The purpetua is nice and I didn't get one because of the blade steel and its low hrc. But it's likely to be the first axis lock with good qc. Think they'll be shipping soon.

With that said I'm getting in on the reate oches knife. I can always put a nice hand rub satin on the flats where the MD logo is if need be but it doesn't bother me. Worlds better than the original logo they had on my ffkw version.

Went with the cf and purple motiki. Only 200 will be made (unknown if they will re run it again). So should be fairly rare. It's reate quality so price can only go up on the 2ndary. I like the makers knives but can't afford the customs. I'm not thrilled with the harpoon but it's better on this model than most of the ones I've seen. Rather not have it but what ev's.

Would have liked to see action videos for them before getting one. They need to do this every time yet don't always. Hopefully someone will review it soon.

Rwl34 is not a bad steel but would have liked to see a higher wearing steel on at least the cf versions for $20 more. To bad they didn't. At least it's easy to sharpen and wears about s35vn or a bit lower for edge retention.

Tbo I'd rather have the sharp by design micro that's made by reate. But I missed out on it. Hoping to find one on 2ndary in the distant future.
I find it a little Bizarro-World that Mo2 purchasing a Drop would push me over the edge...but for some reason, it did :D. I jumped on board for the same marbled CF and purple Mokuti. The knife is bigger than I like to carry...and heavier...but for some reason it seemed like too much of an opportunity to pass up. Something just feels "special" about this knife.

Oh well, I now need to figure out where I'm going to account for $300 that wasn't ANYWHERE in the budget for knives. Is anyone looking to purchase a left kidney? I only drink bourbon 7 days out of the week...

...should I be posting this in The Exchange? :p

Oh well, I now need to figure out where I'm going to account for $300 that wasn't ANYWHERE in the budget for knives. Is anyone looking to purchase a left kidney? I only drink bourbon 7 days out of the week...
Hahaha same man. I mean I can fit it in if I eat ramen for a few months. The things I do for knives.

I went with the black G10. It's a chance to try an Ochs design made by Reate. Reate's models are usually well outside of my price range.

I really like the faux bolster look in general, especially with stippling.
Otherwise, the knife is not to my tastes, but variation makes the hobby fun!
If it floats your boat, more power to you! :thumbsup:

I think Massdrop bringing colaborations to the market is a good thing in general. However, after owning the first three FFKW models, I’m a bit uncertain where they’ll sort out on the quality of execution scale.

In other words: even though I think the first three (FFKW) were good knives, there were some rough edges (such as an abrupt/sculpting-free lockbar thumb-landing zone) that were clearly a concession to price point. The “obvious concession for price-point” has been a big factor in keeping me out of other MD knives.

Reactions: Mo2
That bolster triggers my trypophobia, so pretty much any knife with that pattern is a no-go for me. But looks great otherwise.

Back