The Orca: Eric Ochs design, Reate build, Massdrop release

I mean is it a quality control issue with Reate, or is it just that Reate intentionally lowered the production cost of these knives by reducing their normal QC standards (probably as part of an agreement with MD)?

Basically what I'm saying is that if this knife was just produced by Reate without MD's involvement, wouldn't the price point be like $250 for the G10 models and $400+ for the marbled CF/mokuti models? I'm sure Reate is perfectly capable of producing a knife to a lesser standard, in order to meet a lower price point, right?

Reactions: Mo2
I mean is it a quality control issue with Reate, or is it just that Reate intentionally lowered the production cost of these knives by reducing their normal QC standards (probably as part of an agreement with MD)?

Basically what I'm saying is that if this knife was just produced by Reate without MD's involvement, wouldn't the price point be like $250 for the G10 models and $400+ for the marbled CF/mokuti models? I'm sure Reate is perfectly capable of producing a knife to a lesser standard, in order to meet a lower price point, right?

I could see this being a possibility if they hadn’t widely publicized Reate as the OEM. Since everyone knows that Reate is making them, it’d be silly for Reate to risk their reputation by lowering their standards.

As far as pricing, the actual manufacturing is only part of the equation. It’s pretty much understood at this point that Massdrop is taking a pretty thin margin on its knife collaborations. In contrast, Reate can get an influx of cash to OEM, and doesn’t have to worry about distribution or even whether anyone buys them. Their normal pricing is such that they’re making money selling them at wholesale prices to dealers, who then get their cut selling at retail prices.

Reactions: AF
Could be that Eric is a perfectionist and wants to deliver his design to high standards and make customers beyond happy.

Could be that Eric is a perfectionist and wants to deliver his design to high standards and make customers beyond happy.
The only issue identified was uneven sharpening in some of the knives; right? I’ve had reason to request replacement of WE-made knives from Massdrop, but I’ve been impressed with their customer service. I’m glad this issue is being addressed preemptively.

There have been 2 or 3 vids on YouTube about this knaf. And mine just got a tracking number. I assume most of us will get them next week. It's hard to say.

As for the sharpening .. I'm pretty sure this is just the little triangle at the heal of which is 100% normal and Liong Mah who works with reate too explained why this is the case on the latest knife nuts podcast.

Last edited:
Received my shipping notice as well. Shipping label created, not yet shipped. My last Massdrop package took 12 days to deliver. I'll try to be patient.

I'm really looking forward to this one. I ordered the purple MokuTi version, my first knife with that material. I expect this to be a hand-filling knife with a substantial blade but a fairy thin edge, similar to my Koenig Arius.

There have been 2 or 3 vids on YouTube about this knaf. And mine just got a tracking number. I assume most of us will get them next week. It's hard to say.

As for the sharpening .. I'm pretty sure this is just the little triangle at the heal of which is 100% normal and Liong Mah who works with reate too explained why this is the case on the latest knife nuts podcast.
Received my shipping notice as well. Shipping label created, not yet shipped. My last Massdrop package took 12 days to deliver. I'll try to be patient.

I'm really looking forward to this one. I ordered the purple MokuTi version, my first knife with that material. I expect this to be a hand-filling knife with a substantial blade but a fairy thin edge, similar to my Koenig Arius.

I hate shipping from md. It always goes to the next state over even though it drives in my state first. Why does that even happen.

And when it was dhl it took forever and a day and didnt have good tracking system.

Last edited:
Alright this thing is great. Action, lockup, centering all spot on like you would expect.

The carbon fiber feels really solid and I don’t have the words to describe it. Almost like chiseled stone. Really impressed with this knife.

Received my black G-10 variant a few days ago. I wish that I had ordered two instead of one. These are very nice!

I think this has the highest quality feel of any of the MD collabs, although I don't have a Keen and I've heard great things about that knife. I wonder if MD plans to do additional drops of this knife or this turns out to be a one-off. With Reate as the manufacturer the production capacity is much less than if it were WE made.

I think this has the highest quality feel of any of the MD collabs, although I don't have a Keen and I've heard great things about that knife. I wonder if MD plans to do additional drops of this knife or this turns out to be a one-off. With Reate as the manufacturer the production capacity is much less than if it were WE made.

Reate is widely considered to be a step above WE in quality, so that should be expected.

I got mine wed. But opened it up last night.

I didnt really like how they treated the base of the blade as not sharpened all the way as a defect. Thats how Reate does it. Its nice he sharpened it all the way, but ehh. I would have like it without modification.

Ill give more thoughts as i get time but the action is nice on first impressions. The knife didnt wow me like other knives in this price range. But i wasnt disappointed in the least... At least initially. More time will say more.

Last edited:
Love my md Zinker Dogtooth. If they can poll the market and get a high quality production knife to market quicker through their advanced inventory purchase model more power to them!

I am not sure how Knife of the Year gets done, but the CF version purple should definitely be considered. This has gotta be the best massdrop knife yet, and I am just really impressed with build quality.

I am not sure how Knife of the Year gets done, but the CF version purple should definitely be considered. This has gotta be the best massdrop knife yet, and I am just really impressed with build quality.
I agree it’s a great knife. How’s the appearance of the pivot collars on yours? It seems the colors may vary a lot. If you could post a photo, I’d appreciate it.

Back