The other ZT no one is talking about! ZT0456

whitty

Dealer / Materials Provider
So a few weeks ago I posted about the ZT0804CF and actually loved the dialogue it created. This time I am curious as to why there is so little talk right now about the ZT0456. The only thing I could see as a turn off to some is the weight of the knife for its size. Outside of that this knife is stunning to look at, flips great, fit and finish are top notch, premium steel and cuts like a razor. Not gonna hold back on this one, this is my favorite new knife to come out in a very very long time. Those that have them, what do you think? Those that do not, what is stopping you from getting one?

https://flic.kr/p/GEsVEw https://www.flickr.com/photos/57703464@N02/

I haven't seen one in person, but in photos, it just doesn't grab my interest like the 0095 or 0909 do. It looks almost too jewelry-like. It looks pretty, I actually like it in some regards. But there is just something...I can't put my finger on it, but something... That doesn't make me want it.

Flipper tab hits my hand and the detent is very sensitive to accidental lockbar pressure which is easy to accidentally apply because the knife is stubby.

I love the design, but, like all 3.25" ZTs, there's something about it that ruins it for me. I was crazy pumped about these when they were announced, but it took all of twenty seconds with one in-hand before I said "nope" out loud, put it back in the box, and listed it for sale or trade.

What was most frustrating to me is that the pivot action on mine was pretty much just okay - it reminded me of the early 0560 models that had a bit of drag to them and wouldn't always flip completely open even if you knew what you were doing.

I might have just gotten a lemon on the pivot aspect, but the flipper tab hitting my hand on closing proved immediately annoying and was enough by itself to make it a write-off model for me. I would love to see a 4"-blades version, or, really, any regular production ZT flipper with a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe profile and a blade longer than 3.25". They keep putting out these 3.25" things and only making drop points in the larger size offerings.

ZT
MAKE
A
PRODUCTION
FFS

I've loved the look of the 0456 from the start; but I was trying to avoid it because it's too small. I ended up buying one from Kevin when I was in L'ville - as expected, all it took was getting it in hand.
I knew when I bought it that it wasn't going to get used...and that I should have taken the 0095, which at least had a shot of getting into my pocket; but the 0456 just looked so good. (There was another reason I didn't take the 0095; but that's for another thread.)
If ZT made this knife with a 3.5-3.75" blade; I'd pull the 0200 out of my pocket to make room for it (at least for a while).

the zt 0456 is a good hard use knife, flips well, carries nicely, and handles like a dream, it is a sinkevich design. I enjoy using this knife on any task that it has faced!

Flipper tab hits my hand and the detent is very sensitive to accidental lockbar pressure which is easy to accidentally apply because the knife is stubby.

I love the design, but, like all 3.25" ZTs, there's something about it that ruins it for me. I was crazy pumped about these when they were announced, but it took all of twenty seconds with one in-hand before I said "nope" out loud, put it back in the box, and listed it for sale or trade.

What was most frustrating to me is that the pivot action on mine was pretty much just okay - it reminded me of the early 0560 models that had a bit of drag to them and wouldn't always flip completely open even if you knew what you were doing.

I might have just gotten a lemon on the pivot aspect, but the flipper tab hitting my hand on closing proved immediately annoying and was enough by itself to make it a write-off model for me. I would love to see a 4"-blades version, or, really, any regular production ZT flipper with a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe profile and a blade longer than 3.25". They keep putting out these 3.25" things and only making drop points in the larger size offerings.

ZT
MAKE
A
PRODUCTION
FFS

I gotta think you got a lemon. I have noticed drag, put my hand anywhere to open it and never had a detent pressure problem and am a bit confused on the flipper tab hitting your hand. I believe you 100%. I hope you get the chance sometime to try another one out or put hands on one in a shop. I would be very interested to know if you experience it with a different one.

I've loved the look of the 0456 from the start; but I was trying to avoid it because it's too small. I ended up buying one from Kevin when I was in L'ville - as expected, all it took was getting it in hand.
I knew when I bought it that it wasn't going to get used...and that I should have taken the 0095, which at least had a shot of getting into my pocket; but the 0456 just looked so good. (There was another reason I didn't take the 0095; but that's for another thread.)
If ZT made this knife with a 3.5-3.75" blade; I'd pull the 0200 out of my pocket to make room for it (at least for a while).

Curious as to why you want use it?

As I said, it's too small - I prefer a 3.5" (or more) blade. In the case of this particular knife, it actually feels okay in hand...probably due to the thickness. Still - at this size - it doesn't have what it takes to move the 0200kw out of my pocket. (Yeah, it's big, and it's heavy..but I like it; and that's all that matters to me.)
I haven't even taken the 0456 out of the box since I got home from KY. I was so close to buying the 0095, too. That one probably would have hit my pocket for at least a couple of weeks.

I so wanted to like this knife - I really did.

I mean look at it? I love the blade shape. I love the design. Aesthetically it's a really attractive knife.

BUT the weight kills it for me - specially for a knife this size.

I just plain dont like the way it looks. Not a fan of wharcliffes and the handle looks stubby, like a big toe. May get ZT to send me one of those blue clips for my 0450 though.

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I just think it "looks" kinda cheap. I just don't like how overall shiny it is. It's needs some texture like G10, CF, wood, blackwash, etc. Something. Maybe to modern looking?

That being said, I'm sure the build quality and performance are the usual ZT standards or more.

It's a knife made for pretty heavy-duty stuff, which is NOT my niche. I avoid folders that exceed five ounces, as that's my comfort maximum.
I've owned a lot of ZT's and am sure that this one is just fine for many folks.
The blade-length, closed length, blade-steel is all fine. The blade shape is an awfully "high" blade for my casual needs, which, of course, leads to the greater weight.

So a few weeks ago I posted about the ZT0804CF and actually loved the dialogue it created. This time I am curious as to why there is so little talk right now about the ZT0456. The only thing I could see as a turn off to some is the weight of the knife for its size. Outside of that this knife is stunning to look at, flips great, fit and finish are top notch, premium steel and cuts like a razor. Not gonna hold back on this one, this is my favorite new knife to come out in a very very long time. Those that have them, what do you think? Those that do not, what is stopping you from getting one?

https://flic.kr/p/GEsVEw https://www.flickr.com/photos/57703464@N02/

for their asking price I could get two kizers with the same materials :p

The 0456 was the one from the 2016 lineup I was most looking forward to, and it did not disappoint. It feels and handles great, and it looks fantastic. Both of the Sinkevich collaboration pieces this year are awesome.

ZT0450CF_0456_800x470.jpg

Not a fan of this design. Love my 804. I played with it at my local shop but wasn't impressed with the thickness, weight, blade shape, or the massive pivot decorations. It felt OK in the hand but it wasn't for me.

Too many better knives for the price....

I haven't liked ZT's since the 0561 was the flagship, what, 1-2 years ago? i think that's when they peaked.

The newer line (0770, 0456, et al.) is such a departure from the previous look. It looks as though they are trying to be glitzy, "bold lines" and "rad." To me it's over-attempted and the general look of their newer stuff suffers, coming across as cheap and shiny. I mean look at the pivot on the 456. Why? What the hell is that? :)

I guess we eat what we're fed.

I love the 0456. It is at the top of my ZT's. Flips fast and feels great in the hand. I like the appearance and the blade shape.

Back