The other ZT no one is talking about! ZT0456

I felt that it also was a little like a beefy 0770 too, thanks for the images.

how thick is the edge just above the bevel? if someone can measure that, I know that's sometimes kinda hard to do, but it's a good bit of info to know.
G2

Measuring at the two blue marks with my calipers (as close as I could get the tips to the edges of the bevels):

0.0230" behind the bevel
0.1565" at the flats (should be the full thickness of the blade)

ZT0456_blade_measure_points_800x452.jpg

ZT website says the blue backspacer is made of aluminum. I thought the pivot and clip were also aluminum but I'm not sure now so I made an inquiry to ZT.

Both the pivot and pocket clip appear to be steel. I can pick up both with a magnet. The magnet does not react to the backspacer.

Thanks for the measurements!
G2

I almost got one the other day. Played with it in the store for about 30 minutes. It was down to the 0456, the 0561 (which i got at a "steel" of a price), and a Liong Mah folder. The liong mah was just out of my price range, so it was down to the 0456 and the 0561. As much as i loved the feel and look of the 0456, especially with the intricately milled handle (I'm a machinist, i know how tough that was to do), i just couldn't see myself carrying that nice looking of a knife. I've used and abused an Umnumzaan, no second thought. But the look of the 0456 was just "too nice" to see me using it the way I use my knives. I ended up getting the 0561 and planning to do some mods to it. Speaking of which, whitty, do you have any scales for the 560/561 in stock?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Measuring at the two blue marks with my calipers (as close as I could get the tips to the edges of the bevels):

0.0230" behind the bevel
0.1565" at the flats (should be the full thickness of the blade)

ZT0456_blade_measure_points_800x452.jpg

Both the pivot and pocket clip appear to be steel. I can pick up both with a magnet. The magnet does not react to the backspacer

Sweet! In this case the pivot and clip are probably coated with TiO2 and anodized like the Leek then.

He ain't heavy, he's my Brother...knife that is :) arrived today and I'll concur that the edge bevel is close to that .023" I got just a smidge more measuring mine but then it is not always easy to get this measurement, suffice to say it feels fairly thin edged and cuts well. While it arrived fairly sharp, I will give it a touch up here shortly, but overall, nice folder. The contours help to keep it in hand, as does the weight and yes it is a bit hefty but you get a solid control of it during use.

Flipper works very well, knife flies open and locks up solid, good detent while closed too.

I had the ZT 0770 cf...several times! and usually ended up sending it back to my friend because it was just too thin for my taste, this covers that part and as those photos above show, it is similar in edge line, a very useful edc type edge.

Anyone know what the published hardness is for this steel? Is this ZT's first go with this blade steel?

G2

He ain't heavy, he's my Brother...knife that is :) arrived today and I'll concur that the edge bevel is close to that .023" I got just a smidge more measuring mine but then it is not always easy to get this measurement, suffice to say it feels fairly thin edged and cuts well. While it arrived fairly sharp, I will give it a touch up here shortly, but overall, nice folder. The contours help to keep it in hand, as does the weight and yes it is a bit hefty but you get a solid control of it during use.

Flipper works very well, knife flies open and locks up solid, good detent while closed too.

I had the ZT 0770 cf...several times! and usually ended up sending it back to my friend because it was just too thin for my taste, this covers that part and as those photos above show, it is similar in edge line, a very useful edc type edge.

Anyone know what the published hardness is for this steel? Is this ZT's first go with this blade steel?

G2

0392, 0456, 0620, 0804, 0562 off the top of my head have had a model with CTS204P.
Not sure of the hardness though but I reprofiled my 0456 and will say it wasn't the easiest job. Not a ZDP level pita but it was pretty tough.

G2

ZT's CTS-204P comes in at 60-62HRC. They've used 204P in quite a few folders now since Spring 2015: 0562CF, 0620CF, 0392 (all variants), 0804CF, 0456, 0454204P, etc.

9ad0974a-998d-4532-b851-af70f283e368_zpsjroxlem1.jpg

Email from ZT just now: "The pivot and the clip on the 0456 are steel, not aluminum." So, only the backspacer is aluminum.

Just took this shot with my Spyderco K2 to show the size difference.
Want to hear something funny?
The K2 is lighter.
sarUHHJ.jpg

Thanks for the list of the 204P bladed ZT's and the hardness they try to produce. Just finished putting new bevel on there so it cuts a bit nicer now, easier if you will.

And that is crazy the K2 is lighter! wow, but then, this is like having a potato in your pocket :) but handier.
G2

WaHoo! Guess what big brown brought today? First impressions....I LOVE IT! Feels rock solid. Perfect action. I actually like the decore'. And the weight is really only an ounce more than my 562CF which I love also. It'll for sure be going in the pocket for a few weeks to see how it compares. But I have one big problem with it....I also want the 804CF, 220, and 450CF. So I'll be popping them off one at a time as funds allow. Actually funds have been non-existent lately, so I've had to be just a bit creative. ;) And the 450CF will most def be last, as I already have the 450. If more attractive models are released before I get that last one, I may have to scrap that one.

qq4nzk.jpg

344v5hw.jpg

Got mine in today-- love it. As others have said, flips fast and rock solid all around. Feels great in hand. Love the heft.

The only complaint I have is that the flipper tab has some sharp machining edges which have chewed up my index finger - likely will sand the flipper down a little to round some edges. Overall a beautiful knife. Was surprised by how it compared to my ZT0808 in terms of size. This is a win in my book!

I handled one of these this week in store. Nice knife, love the blueish purple pivot mount. But pretty high on the $$ scale for me right now. I'll just enjoy my Burple PM2 in S110V for now.

Glad to read that as more people get this knife in hand, more like it!

It's growing on me. If it was a 3.6" blade like the 0630/0095 (but without gaining weight) I would be more interested. I just like to have more blade - makes cutting my daughters apples easier ;)

It's growing on me. If it was a 3.6" blade like the 0630/0095 (but without gaining weight) I would be more interested. I just like to have more blade - makes cutting my daughters apples easier ;)

Buy smaller apples:D

I'm in the minority, I know, but I wouldn't even whine about a reasonable weight gain with the extra length. I might, however, whine about the price increase, lol.

It's a solid knife, folks at work were mighty impressed...until I told them the price, I guess they will be at the flea market looking for something similar but with a decimal place moved to the left...at least one position ;) Some of them get that it costs to make such a knife, others just shake their heads and feel I should seek professional help...(they may have a point there!)

While the blade is fairly thin, I'd like it a bit better if it were more like .020 at the edge bevel or just under, that would really make it a slicer for sure, as it is a small blade so I do not see the need to be too beefy.

The clip was not retaining the knife well in the pocket, so, I removed the clip, mounted it so it stuck out the back side and while the screws held it in place, I carefully bent the clip down a little, now it retains the knife in the pocket much much better. I do like that custom clip and would be willing to pick one of those up some time too.

Here are a few images of my knife taken tonight, I have a paracord lanyard I made on there now.

ZT0456_closed.jpg~original

ZT0456_partial.jpg~original

ZT0456_open.jpg~original

Very nice knife!
G2

ZT0456_closed.jpg~original

ZT0456_partial.jpg~original

ZT0456_open.jpg~original

Very nice knife!
G2[/QUOTE]

Holy crap those pics are just awesome:eek:

Awesome thread!

I have a 562, 450cf, 804cf, 220, 770cf and am looking forward to a 452cf. I'm not going for the 456 due to the shorter handle size. I know I won't be able to fit my pinky finger on it. This doesn't bother me on the 450cf as it's one of my gentlemenly folders and the 770cf is (maybe) on the trading block....love how it slices though...If the weight weren't so much for the size I might try it as a gentleman's folder but it just won't work in the slacks.

Back