The Pathfinder Club - Members Only!

I had only one 105 in all of the years I've been buying/selling/trading Bucks. I'm not a huge fan to be honest. The 118 suits me better.

For fighting, I would take a 105 over a bare fist any day, but that doesn't make it a great fighter, and I definitely wouldn't choose it for my primary self defense knife. I think your "D" grade is sufficient. It would be an "A+" if there were no other options, right?

IMG_1535.jpg IMG_1544.jpg IMG_1534.jpg

Back in the day, Buck used the 105 in their advertisements more than any other model. I think Buck saw it as a knife that would appeal to a wide range of sportsmen. :)

nBU4Z1I.jpg
Recent issue of F and S criminally ommitted Buck from it's knife issue....though I did notice a small illustration of a knife above one section. It was clearly a 105. Those guys do know how to work around their corporate masters with subtle nods to those in the know.

pj, tell me about that top knife.
Tom, it's one of the Signature Series, ATS 34, Oak scales, Chuck's signature(of course) and a hardness test dot...not sure of the hardness, someone else will have to say. Preston

Out of all the Buck knives I have there are only 2 105's...
Yea, but that top one equals three. :thumbsup:

Tom, it's one of the Signature Series, ATS 34, Oak scales, Chuck's signature(of course) and a hardness test dot...not sure of the hardness, someone else will have to say. Preston
Thanks Preston. It has very nice lines and looks like it would be comfortable in the hand.

The first fixed blade Buck Knife I ever owned was this 105 Pathfinder (top picture); purchased at the PX at APG MD in 1976 - carried as my ARNG field knife until 1990 (when I switched to a M4 bayonet gifted to me from my father). The 1966 Pathfinder belonged to my late cousin - it was his field knife for many years of ARNG service - he retired around 1987. The white bone handled 105 was one I bought at Bass Pro Shops in Raleigh about four years ago - gave it as a thank you gift to a great customer a year and a half ago (yeah, I miss it!) OH
Buck_105_-_1976.jpg

Buck_105_-_1966_after_initial_sharpening_1.jpg

Buck_105_2014_BPS-SFO.JPG
Buck-105-Pathfinder-2014-BPS-SFO.jpg

Last edited:
The pathfinder and personal are obviously closely related, do any of you sharpen the top false edge on these knives? It seems to be much more pronounced on the later versions. It just begs to be sharpened. Did Buck ever ship these with that edge already sharpened?

Last edited:
The pathfinder and personal are obviously closely related, do any of you sharpen the top false edge on these knives? It just begs to be sharpened.

Sincere question: Curious, why would you want a sharpened false edge on these type of knives?

Sincere question: Curious, why would you want a sharpened false edge on these type of knives?
That's part of my question. The first inch or so of the top edge, looks like it was meant to be sharpened. I was curious if anybody does this or not. The only reason I could see for it is for that first cut through the anus on a fish.

I'm in a location were double edge knives are not allowed, so not a lot of practical experience.

That's part of my question. The first inch or so of the top edge, looks like it was meant to be sharpened.
Okay, got it. Personally, I would not have a need for a sharpened false edge on my Pathfinder, but I only use it for common camp and kitchen duties. Generally, I think of a sharpened false edge on a fighting knife, but I know the Randall Bird & Trout Knife comes with a sharpened false edge to be used for cutting through bone and cutting off fish heads, thus preserving the main edge for finer cutting. But the Randall false edge is approximately 2" long (and straight) making it more functional than the Pathfinder's short false edge. I believe the Pathfinder's false edge is to simply give the blade a finer tip for whatever the need may be.

Back