The Pathfinder Club - Members Only!

FLASH SALE ALERT!!

Free Pathfinder Club membership to anyone who recently acquired their first 105 or anyone who has owned a 105 for a while, but the membership price was keeping you from joining.

Offer ends 11/1/19. After end date, price will go back to $0.00. :)

A half price sale sometimes works. :)

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Good looking knife, jb. Assuming it's a user, do you plan on letting it patina or keeping it clean?

That's great. I love a carbon blade with natural patina. Keep us posted on its progress occasionally. :thumbsup:

Natural patina from using it to eat corned beef and cabbage for a week

view

Forced patina by sticking them in an onion and waiting a couple days.

view

Last edited:
Here is my preferred patina process. Very painstaking and labor intensive. But I’ve found it to be worth the extra effort.

view

note the spicy mustard, the hot sauce, and horseradish.

The secret is to spread the juices of whatever you cut over the entire blade so you get an even coat.

Last edited:
WOW! Those are very impressive especially Makael's all black. The others are done with food. First I have heard off this process. Thank You Guys Very Much for the pictures.

Joe,

It gives a layer of protection similar to the blueing on a classic firearm. Not rust proof but it will stop the rust spots from appearing instantly. My theory is it gives the oil something to cling on to. I use mineral oil. The same bottle I use on my cutting boards.

My opinion is, either embrace the patina. Or buy stainless. For me trying to keep a carbon steel knife new looking is not worth the effort.

I’ve wiped bleach on a WWI Bayonet and hung it in my hot humid Florida garage for a week. Guy i got it from was polishing it to a new condition but as a battlefield find it was worth more in as found condition.
Did the same with a new ramrod for a 1821 musket. Worked great but both times i was still hungry. Will try the food routine next time lol

Back