The Peach Pruner!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waynorth, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Wowee! ^^ Thats a gorgeous Bose/ Case Collab Will! :thumbsup:

Will Power likes this.
  2. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Thanks Duncan, our man Charlie let me have it at a very fair price too:cool::thumbsup:

Campbellclanman and waynorth like this.
  3. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice seeing it again, Will!! I hope you are enjoying it!!:):thumbsup:

Campbellclanman and Will Power like this.
  4. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    I had these three Peaches mounted in a display, but brought them here in the interest of completion!!
    Another Ablett, a Wright, and a W. Saynor!!
    Sheffield grp 1.jpg Sheffield grp 2.jpg

5. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Yes I am thank you Charlie:thumbsup: That Saynor is a fine example, admire the end plate, nice touch:cool:

6. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Charlie, I had intended that one to be a gift, but unfortunately I can't legally send it anywhere now :( :thumbsup:

Thanks pal ;) :thumbsup:

Two beauties :) :thumbsup:

Well spotted Duncan :) I think we owe Mick @wellington for those Thomas Turner scans. Unfortunately, they disappeared from the thread due to the Photoshop shenanigans, but I able to re-post them :thumbsup:

Great-looking knives my friend :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Nice to see that Saynor again Charlie :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    I've labelled a couple of those "plastic handled"!!:rolleyes:;)
    No Problemo!! Risky though!!:eek:

Campbellclanman likes this.
  8. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    So have I, as you know Charlie, but exporting carries a 5 year sentence here now, and/or an unlimited fine :eek:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  9. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Whoops!! Not worth the risk!!!:eek::(

Jack Black likes this.
  10. LongBlade

LongBlade

May 8, 2015
    Great thread on an interesting horticultural knife :cool: - thanks Charlie and hope you are feeling well :thumbsup: ... and some beautiful examples posted above by all :thumbsup::thumbsup: ..

Here's two to share -

First is a George Butler & Co/ Trinity Works/ Sheffield - 3 & 3/4" and nice old stag on a heavily curved handle. Integrated liner and bolsters so thinking fairly old and perhaps pre-1860.. tapered back spring (from pivot bolster to end of spring it just continues to get larger) and wraps so nicely around the end into the well.. Blade is very well used but I couldn't resist this knife for a few reasons including price of course.. anyway still snaps and is solid after so many years and much use ;) ... Check out the spine of the blade above the nail nick - if I'm not mistaken whoever used this knife must have liked keeping their finger on top of the blade - it looks to me there is a worn spot on the spine from constant handling right above the nail nick - and actually when I grip it and put my finger there it feels quite comfortable :) ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second one I believe is the first American-made Peach Pruner to be posted and I am starting to think not a pattern made over here across the pond very often - an old Camillus and a tang stamp suggestive of 1930s-1940s... In my mind no doubt a Peach Pruner based on blade and handle - cocobolo handles and cool bolster with a closed length of 3 & 3/4".. still a solid knife functionally despite the crack in wood on mark side near bolster... nonetheless couldn't resist this Camillus...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking - I only have a few in my collection among my horticultural knives but thought these may be of interest ;) ..

Cheers - Lee

11. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Of interest they my friend! Gorgeous old knives!

Charlie does that Saynor have their DEPEND stamped on the Pile side Tang?

12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Just checked my pics, and I think the reverse tang is blank. Says 'W.Saynor' over 'Sheffield' over 'England' on the mark side :thumbsup:

13. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Jack's correct, Duncan. No "DEPEND" on this one. I know they have used that mark of course.

14. LongBlade

LongBlade

May 8, 2015
    Thanks Duncan :thumbsup: :thumbsup:...

15. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    [​IMG]

waynorth and Campbellclanman like this.
  16. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Ok, thanks guys- I wonder why Saynor used the Depend on some and not others- whether it's specifically a time frame thing- which I dont think so as it is their own Mark? Interesting.

Jack my friend- Man - just look at that Cabinet lol- I could have a cuppa and just stare at that for a long, long time! almost overwhelming as there is far too much unbelievable knives to take in at once!

Jack Black likes this.
  17. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    I am right there staring with you, Duncan!!!
    It's amazing to find a showcase from an historical Cutlery!!
    I even find the scissors quite interesting!!:)

18. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice old knives, Lee!! Great to see a U.S.A. made one!!:thumbsup:

19. LongBlade

LongBlade

May 8, 2015
    Thanks very much Charlie :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.. I am guessing there may be other American-made Peach Pruners but I have not come across any.... Be interesting to check some old horticultural knife catalog cuts...

Will Power likes this.
  20. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Charlie, when I read footrot knife, I figured it meant actual footrot that is common in sheep. You would use the knife to cut out the bad part of the hoof.

Sorry no pictures of peach pruners to share from me, just a little animal husbandry info.