The Peach Pruner!!

Yes I am thank you Charlie:thumbsup: That Saynor is a fine example, admire the end plate, nice touch:cool:

Great array of Wrights, Jack:cool:
Nice to see that one with the worked back!!:thumbsup:

Thanks Charlie, I had intended that one to be a gift, but unfortunately I can't legally send it anywhere now :( :thumbsup:

waynorth, r8shell, Jack, and mb>, wonderful selection of great Sheffield models!!!
While there were some interesting names and uses applied to various Sheffield knives, I don't see the use of the term "Peach Pruner" in any factory catalogs.
Oddly, some of the biggest names like Joseph Rodgers and Wostenholm rarely labeled the use or type of knife in most of their catalogs. Taylors Eye Witness was one company who did provide a wide list of specific names and uses for their knives, some others did also. Most (but not all) Sheffield made pocket knives which had a curved cutting edge blade were listed simply as "pruners", "pruning knives", or "Gardeners Knives". In one interesting case as seen with waynorth's Christopher Johnson model, that knife is listed as a "Footrot" knife with a "pruning blade".
Probably wouldn't want to use your "footrot" knife for pruning peaches as well. :) (Catalog picture enclosed)

With any luck, there should be a fascinating article in an upcoming issue of "Knife Magazine" co-authored by Jack Black which will cover some very unique Sheffield pocket knives and their uses.
Stay tuned... :)

View attachment 1223369

Thanks pal ;) :thumbsup:

Two beauties :) :thumbsup:

Wonderful Knives Folks I quite like this wee pattern.
Augie-m outrstanding I*XL, and C.J!

Herder Here are a couple of Thomas Turner Charts that show the Peach Pruner on top on both of the Charts...( kindly borrowed from Jacks posts in the Catalog Thread )...

S9tseht.jpg

iZsyafK.jpg

Jack and I stood in front of Thomas Turners Display cabinets in the Sheffield Museum - Oh Man- to spend all day at that one spot!!!!

Here are a couple of real sweethearts that have been kindly Gifted to me by Jack and Paul!

Jacks gift - a wonderful A.Wright wee Stag- I am about to have another attempt at putting an edge on the Curved Blade after my failed go before - I always struggle with the Hawkbill Blades when it comes to Sharpening!

R3fxp4m.jpg

eRbTrNA.jpg

ziebNla.jpg

Paul's Beautiful Translucent Horn Peach Pruner with a brother from another Mother....

EhRobJ4.jpg

Well spotted Duncan :) I think we owe Mick @wellington for those Thomas Turner scans. Unfortunately, they disappeared from the thread due to the Photoshop shenanigans, but I able to re-post them :thumbsup:

Great-looking knives my friend :) :thumbsup:

q6ffl5d.jpg

I had these three Peaches mounted in a display, but brought them here in the interest of completion!!
Another Ablett, a Wright, and a W. Saynor!!
View attachment 1225995 View attachment 1225996

Nice to see that Saynor again Charlie :) :thumbsup:

CvUqHMl.jpg

JbeKrZd.jpg

gb7vHJG.jpg

I've labelled a couple of those "plastic handled"!!:rolleyes:;)
No Problemo!! Risky though!!:eek:

So have I, as you know Charlie, but exporting carries a 5 year sentence here now, and/or an unlimited fine :eek:

Last edited:
Great thread on an interesting horticultural knife :cool: - thanks Charlie and hope you are feeling well :thumbsup: ... and some beautiful examples posted above by all :thumbsup::thumbsup: ..

Here's two to share -

First is a George Butler & Co/ Trinity Works/ Sheffield - 3 & 3/4" and nice old stag on a heavily curved handle. Integrated liner and bolsters so thinking fairly old and perhaps pre-1860.. tapered back spring (from pivot bolster to end of spring it just continues to get larger) and wraps so nicely around the end into the well.. Blade is very well used but I couldn't resist this knife for a few reasons including price of course.. anyway still snaps and is solid after so many years and much use ;) ... Check out the spine of the blade above the nail nick - if I'm not mistaken whoever used this knife must have liked keeping their finger on top of the blade - it looks to me there is a worn spot on the spine from constant handling right above the nail nick - and actually when I grip it and put my finger there it feels quite comfortable :) ...

w5HkuHO.jpg

Lz3HSW3.jpg

2t3NM8H.jpg

O2B90p9.jpg

The second one I believe is the first American-made Peach Pruner to be posted and I am starting to think not a pattern made over here across the pond very often - an old Camillus and a tang stamp suggestive of 1930s-1940s... In my mind no doubt a Peach Pruner based on blade and handle - cocobolo handles and cool bolster with a closed length of 3 & 3/4".. still a solid knife functionally despite the crack in wood on mark side near bolster... nonetheless couldn't resist this Camillus...

Tl9QBaJ.jpg

vhT3UmO.jpg

1vpk06H.jpg

2wOKUbf.jpg

Thanks for looking - I only have a few in my collection among my horticultural knives but thought these may be of interest ;) ..

Cheers - Lee

Of interest they my friend! Gorgeous old knives!

Charlie does that Saynor have their DEPEND stamped on the Pile side Tang?

Ok, thanks guys- I wonder why Saynor used the Depend on some and not others- whether it's specifically a time frame thing- which I dont think so as it is their own Mark? Interesting.

Jack my friend- Man - just look at that Cabinet lol- I could have a cuppa and just stare at that for a long, long time! almost overwhelming as there is far too much unbelievable knives to take in at once!

I am right there staring with you, Duncan!!!
It's amazing to find a showcase from an historical Cutlery!!
I even find the scissors quite interesting!!:)

Great thread on an interesting horticultural knife :cool: - thanks Charlie and hope you are feeling well :thumbsup: ... and some beautiful examples posted above by all :thumbsup::thumbsup: ..

Here's two to share -

First is a George Butler & Co/ Trinity Works/ Sheffield - 3 & 3/4" and nice old stag on a heavily curved handle. Integrated liner and bolsters so thinking fairly old and perhaps pre-1860.. tapered back spring (from pivot bolster to end of spring it just continues to get larger) and wraps so nicely around the end into the well.. Blade is very well used but I couldn't resist this knife for a few reasons including price of course.. anyway still snaps and is solid after so many years and much use ;) ... Check out the spine of the blade above the nail nick - if I'm not mistaken whoever used this knife must have liked keeping their finger on top of the blade - it looks to me there is a worn spot on the spine from constant handling right above the nail nick - and actually when I grip it and put my finger there it feels quite comfortable :) ...

w5HkuHO.jpg

Lz3HSW3.jpg

2t3NM8H.jpg

O2B90p9.jpg

The second one I believe is the first American-made Peach Pruner to be posted and I am starting to think not a pattern made over here across the pond very often - an old Camillus and a tang stamp suggestive of 1930s-1940s... In my mind no doubt a Peach Pruner based on blade and handle - cocobolo handles and cool bolster with a closed length of 3 & 3/4".. still a solid knife functionally despite the crack in wood on mark side near bolster... nonetheless couldn't resist this Camillus...

Tl9QBaJ.jpg

vhT3UmO.jpg

1vpk06H.jpg

2wOKUbf.jpg

Thanks for looking - I only have a few in my collection among my horticultural knives but thought these may be of interest ;) ..

Cheers - Lee
Nice old knives, Lee!! Great to see a U.S.A. made one!!:thumbsup:

Thanks very much Charlie :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.. I am guessing there may be other American-made Peach Pruners but I have not come across any.... Be interesting to check some old horticultural knife catalog cuts...

Thanks @herder and Campbellclanman Campbellclanman for the research! I had to look up "footrot" and it sounds like it attacks plants at the stem! I wonder how these knives are used to address it?
Anyhow, some great examples of these slim graceful knives have been posted by Jack, Augie, mb>, r8shell and Duncan!!:thumbsup:

Charlie, when I read footrot knife, I figured it meant actual footrot that is common in sheep. You would use the knife to cut out the bad part of the hoof.

Sorry no pictures of peach pruners to share from me, just a little animal husbandry info.

Back