The Perfect Pocket Knife.

My idea of the “perfect” knife has remained consistent for a long time. A well executed 3 1/2” to 4” stockman or a regular or jr size cattle knife are all in that category.

If I had to only pick one it would probably be the 4” stockman, but I think a good jr cattle knife is just about the most practical and convenient pocket knife there is. I have been sticking with the jr cattle in my pocket very consistently lately.

My current quest is to find a knife just like that one -equal and Jack or something like GEC’s 35 pattern- with a spear point or clip point main, and a smaller wharncliffe or sheepsfoot secondary.

You might give a look at the 92 Eureka Jack... spear main, coping like sheepfoot secondary.... it's not an equal end, but it's about the same size.. and very nice in hand..
pHnWrkD.jpg

I'm not actively looking for my most ideal pocket knife just another one I like, but when I do find a perfect one it always brings a classic dilemma with it.

I find a new one that's perfect, but as a knife nut with other knives and a continued interest I can't dedicate myself to just that one for too long.
Went a couple years with one before becoming an official nut and joining here though.

This Case 6208 is just about the perfect pocket knife for me and I've carried it every day since getting it about two months ago, but the neglect of my other knives is starting to weigh on me.

My favorite is nothing fancy. It is a little brown delrin case peanut from their working series. It is simple and small but packs a big punch. It's my favorite because my kids gave it to me as a Christmas gift. Over the few years I have carried it, it has been a loyal companion cutting everything I need it to. It is starting to show some character as the jigging on the delrin is starting to smooth and flatten out and the blade is collecting scratches from use. It hasn't left my pocket once since the day I got it. I have large hands yet this little knife is comfortable to use. I love this little fella!
70B04sn.jpg

5xZ2zW4.jpg

I have a large quantity of knives of which about a quarter of them are one of my Perfect Knives . I try to decide what I will be doing on the day and then decide what type Blade I want to carry . Right now I want a Pruner in my pocket . Most of the year I want a Sheepfoot or Lambfoot in my pocket . On the days that I will not be using a knife for working , the number of Perfect Knives goes way up . Then I can choose which ever one catches my fancy at the moment . The one knife that I have that I feel is one of the very best that I have is this old Taylors Eye Witness .

But what I think a Pocket Knife should look like , I have to go with the Northfield 73 with a Drop Point blade , preferred in Stag but not necessarily .

Harry
Harry that stag 73 might be the perfect knife for me too. I have a 74 in stag coming that I hope looks half as good as that. Cheers

Last edited:
I'm not actively looking for my most ideal pocket knife just another one I like, but when I do find a perfect one it always brings a classic dilemma with it.

I find a new one that's perfect, but as a knife nut with other knives and a continued interest I can't dedicate myself to just that one for too long.
Went a couple years with one before becoming an official nut and joining here though.

This Case 6208 is just about the perfect pocket knife for me and I've carried it every day since getting it about two months ago, but the neglect of my other knives is starting to weigh on me.
Is that the one with the leather dye in it? I have one on the way in SS, hope i like mine as much as you like yours.:);):thumbsup:

My favorite is nothing fancy. It is a little brown delrin case peanut from their working series. It is simple and small but packs a big punch. It's my favorite because my kids gave it to me as a Christmas gift. Over the few years I have carried it, it has been a loyal companion cutting everything I need it to. It is starting to show some character as the jigging on the delrin is starting to smooth and flatten out and the blade is collecting scratches from use. It hasn't left my pocket once since the day I got it. I have large hands yet this little knife is comfortable to use. I love this little fella!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool::cool:. It is what you think that matters, not what anyone else thinks. You have described it beautifully.:)

Harry that stag 73 might be the perfect knife for me too. I have a 74 in stag that I hope looks half as good as that. Cheers
Thank you for the very kind words my friend . I also think I have a 74 reserved in Stag and I hope that I get a very nice one too . I hope that you get one that you are very happy with .

Harry

Is that the one with the leather dye in it? I have one on the way in SS, hope i like mine as much as you like yours.:);):thumbsup:
Yep.
I prefer the CV with patina, but I do love my BSA 6208 which happens to be SS.
It got me into this pattern, and there are so many great handle options on the SS models. hopefully they'll eventually offer some of those options in CV.

A few in my younger years were a USA made Uncle Henry small serpentine stockman, 897 I believe, I liked Look and feel of the staglon scales and having three blades; and SA with red handle, I forget the exact models, one had a serrated blade and another had a corkscrew, but I always liked a can opener and a small pen blade. Then I found the larger SA with a locking main blade, then I finally and use an Alox Pioneer lately. The small tools are handy, and when I go glamping just having a sharp edge is handy. Light and handy is the key, now, and last but not least, an Opinel. As has been said already, I do not think there will be one perfect knife, but several that meet different needs for different things at different times, and maybe it is better that way, we get to enjoy many knives in our rotation, with some standing out more than others for a time..until the search bug bites again...and.....you know it will. Resistance is futile.:D

Last edited:
This is my current perfect pocket knife. Was looking at some old photos and realized it has been in my pocket for the last two and a half years. What a crazy couple years it has been. It rides in the pocket every day, paired with a Leatherman Wave while I am at work. Skinning, scraping and spreading, this knife has done it all. I wish I could keep that edge nice and straight on the secondary blade... that tip is just so dang handy. The second photo is freshly modified.

ukxG5Dh.jpg

7nnsJT7.jpg

You might give a look at the 92 Eureka Jack... spear main, coping like sheepfoot secondary.... it's not an equal end, but it's about the same size.. and very nice in hand..

I have an 86 that I really enjoy and is darn near close - I would like something slightly smaller though but could be the same clip/coping blade set.

Is the Eureka about the same size?

I have an 86 that I really enjoy and is darn near close - I would like something slightly smaller though but could be the same clip/coping blade set.
Is the Eureka about the same size?
86=3 7/8" vs. Eureka at 3 5/8" and noticeably lighter but with substantially different feel.
I may be in the minority here but I prefer the 86 over 92 especially the 86 with a single blade.
Good hunting!

J jackknife
Great post, Carl.
I didn't think much about what pocket knife I was carrying, as I was growing up. It was whatever my dad gave me. For along time it was a Cub Scout knife I got at 7 years old or so. Then it was a small Stockman that came from a Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco promotion, carried from maybe 14 years old, through high school into college, through my years in the Air Force and after.
At some time in the late 70s early 80s I picked up a few Pumas and Gerbers and then the internet came along.....oh boy it was all over then.
Many knives went into my pocket and out of my pocket. All I can say is that this Lloyd trapper is my most carried, most loved, does whatever I need it to knife I own, for quite a few years now. Sure there are still others that I admire, that make me smile, bring back memories and that I would never give away, but the Lloyd has that most carried, most admired, perfect for me place, at this time in my life.
This pandemic is keeping me away from my daughter and granddaughter in New Mexico. The hat picture is making me think about it. I'm also going to be a great grandpa come January. I better be able to travel by then!
wCDzeKd.jpg

J jackknife
Great post, Carl.
I didn't think much about what pocket knife I was carrying, as I was growing up. It was whatever my dad gave me. For along time it was a Cub Scout knife I got at 7 years old or so. Then it was a small Stockman that came from a Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco promotion, carried from maybe 14 years old, through high school into college, through my years in the Air Force and after.
At some time in the late 70s early 80s I picked up a few Pumas and Gerbers and then the internet came along.....oh boy it was all over then.
Many knives went into my pocket and out of my pocket. All I can say is that this Lloyd trapper is my most carried, most loved, does whatever I need it to knife I own, for quite a few years now. Sure there are still others that I admire, that make me smile, bring back memories and that I would never give away, but the Lloyd has that most carried, most admired, perfect for me place, at this time in my life.
This pandemic is keeping me away from my daughter and granddaughter in New Mexico. The hat picture is making me think about it. I'm also going to be a great grandpa come January. I better be able to travel by then!
wCDzeKd.jpg
Gary, it looks and sounds to me like you have "Found the One"... I'm a bit envious. Both of that beautiful stag Lloyd and your contented situation. I seem to be stuck in the I may have "Found the 36 or So" situation.;):)

86=3 7/8" vs. Eureka at 3 5/8" and noticeably lighter but with substantially different feel.
I may be in the minority here but I prefer the 86 over 92 especially the 86 with a single blade.
Good hunting!

Lighter may be more what I’m looking for. While I really like the ergos of the 86, it just feels bulky. While I haven’t handled the 92 I’d be curious about how it feels.

Single blade 86 sounds like it’d solve the bulky problem! :cool:

Back