The Perfect Pocket Knife.

I am really tempted with the in production #19 GEC Rattler (Peanut size). Might just make a great little edc. Might even be perfect if I didn't already carry a SAK. The ironwood #74 is a beaut, but I already have a couple in in the low 70's frame.

Maybe someone already said this and if so, my apologies but to me;

"The perfect pocket knife is the pocket knife you have in your pocket when you need a pocket knife".

Yeah, thats the whole truth and nuthin but...

Kind of like handguns, yes the 1911 or .357 back in the truck would be a better weapon, but if the time comes that you have to defend yourself, whatever little snubbie or Keltec .32 is in the pocket will do.

They go on about what knife to have in an emergency, but the one time I had to crawl into an upside down burning car to cut a seatbelt, an old well worn Buck 301 stockman did very well. The sheep foot blade cut right through that jammed seatbelt. No serrations needed. Just a fairly sharp 1 3/4 well used blade with smears of cardboard glue still on it.

Every single knife I have owned has been at one time the perfect pocket knife.

Last edited:
I don’t know about a “perfect pocketknife” but I have a Queen Copperhead that seems to find its way into my pocket on most days. I have tried other knives to include modern knives but I always seem to come back to this on.
I am about to give up on buying new knives unless there is something really special about it.

Last edited:
I like this one: a Tidioute #92 Eureka jackknife I modified to my liking. While the spearpoint master and coping secondary were interesting, I decided I wanted a long clip master and a wharncliffe secondary. I reground them and reshaped them as necessary and put in a long pull on the clip master. This one has nice easy pulls on both blades (which my arthritic hands like a lot!), and has great-looking elderberry jigged bone scales. It's thin and rides easily, and unnoticed, in my pocket. It's a favorite!
Ron
uvSJ0aX.jpg

I am about to give up on buying new knives unless there is something really special about it.

I know exactly what you mean.
And even if you do find something that "speaks to you", they are unobtainable or priced out of this world.
It's a crappy time to be a traditional knife enthusiast. :(
It's probably the reason I see so many jumping back into the modern arena.

And even if you do find something that "speaks to you", they are unobtainable or priced out of this world.

You make a VERY good point! Fortunately I have a couple of traditional knives that I do enjoy very much so i can wait.

You mean "GEC knife enthusiast." WAY too many people scarfing up the new knives and flipping them. Pretty disgusting. But there's lots of good stuff out there. And how many do you really need, anyway? I have bought two knives this year. I will probably pick up one to three knives a year from now on.

You mean "GEC knife enthusiast."
No, that's only a part of it.
Yes, GEC knives are getting ridiculous.
But try finding a decent Barlow knife at a decent price?
Or a Case Bose knife that catches your eye?
Or some random Case knife that they don't make any more?
I'll get an idea of what i want, go looking with limited choices, and then when I find one it's crazy expensive.
Yes, I can pick up the random Case knife off the shelves, or Schrades, Imperials, and Colonials galore, but I've already done that.

But there's lots of good stuff out there.
Guys here recommend that I look at Case Bose Collaborations.
For the most part, their designs and releases just aren't my style.
I finally found one that strikes my fancy, but they are nowhere to be found.
Even if I did find one, it would probably be in excess of $500.00, and that's just too much to spend on a knife.

No, that's only a part of it.
Yes, GEC knives are getting ridiculous.
But try finding a decent Barlow knife at a decent price?
Or a Case Bose knife that catches your eye?
Or some random Case knife that they don't make any more?
I'll get an idea of what i want, go looking with limited choices, and then when I find one it's crazy expensive.
Yes, I can pick up the random Case knife off the shelves, or Schrades, Imperials, and Colonials galore, but I've already done that.
Yes, unfortunately most of the old companies are gone. Most of my life I carried a small pocket knife in my left front pocket, never spending more than $20 on one, and I have carried some daily for many years. It's only within the last three years I decided to get something a little bigger and nicer. Bought a Case trapper for $48.99, and am still very happy with it. Don't really need anything else in a pocket knife. But I joined Blade Forums and discovered a whole new world. I don't really "collect", though. No safe queens, nothing on display. Just slowly accumulating knives that interest me. Only bought two this year: a Case canoe and a fine French knife. I have been given some knives, for which I am grateful, and which I will treasure. I am having fun so far. As far as I am concerned I have a dozen or more "perfect" knives.

I’ve already found the perfect knife long ago, but it isn’t a traditional. My traditional knives are for fun, nostalgia and class more than anything else, but really any of them could serve my needs since all I really need is a sharp edge. They are all the perfect knife until the newest romance comes along

Back