Swamp Rat and SYKCO Chat

The pricing thing about Rat Daddy, Mastiff, and many other OLD models is that they have come in a very limited numbers compared to modern Busse/Swamp/Yard releases.
If they were a thing like RMD that's been on the website forever it would have been another story...
For example if you look at TGLB, it has been available for about a 1/10 of the time that Boss Jack was, but by the TWD fame (and I guess the limited numbers back then) now you need to pay close to 1K for a $340 at announcement time blade.

Now, the thing about RMD is that getting it out of the 'available now' section would virtually COLLAPSE Busse Group business model and sales... There's only so much that the 'old blood' can do in this 'cut throat business'...
that's why there is something like 1 Rat Daddy to a 100 (if not more) of RMDs out there

The recently released mmd is a busse, not a swamprat I believe—it’s also a lot lighter being ffg. Still, the originals aren’t that expensive as users—I got mine for about $200 with sheath(an amazing deal, but it needed an entirely new edge).
That's a GREAT deal! We would love to see a pic if you could ever swing it!

View attachment 884022

The attachment is a “pose” of the knife after stripping(partially, anyways—one of these days I’ll dip the entire knife in citristrip and clean it up nice) and attaching a sling to the sheath for carry across the back(did I mention the knife is heavy ?) The kydex retention is enough to carry vertically upside down for quick access, though I usually tie a slipnot for extra safety.

Last edited:
The ratweiler is amazing. I'm trying to score a mountainmandu or rat daddy. A mountainmandu sold today and there's a rat daddy LE posted for above my acceprable limit. The ratweiler is well priced and I may have a 2nd ratweiler before too long if someone doesn't take.

Dave Brown listed an original Ratweiler, a beautiful M9, and a Chopweilier yesterday...

For example if you look at TGLB, it has been available for about a 1/10 of the time that Boss Jack was, but by the TWD fame (and I guess the limited numbers back then) now you need to pay close to 1K for a $340 at announcement time blade.

That's even changed. There are several TGLBs for sale on the exchange right now, just sitting there unsold for ~$600 or less. Softest and most saturated secondary Busse market ever!!!

View attachment 884022

The attachment is a “pose” of the knife after stripping(partially, anyways—one of these days I’ll dip the entire knife in citristrip and clean it up nice) and attaching a sling to the sheath for carry across the back(did I mention the knife is heavy ?) The kydex retention is enough to carry vertically upside down for quick access, though I usually tie a slipnot for extra safety.
I love it! I love a ghetto finish. Thanks for the pic of your baby.
Dave Brown listed an original Ratweiler, a beautiful M9, and a Chopweilier yesterday...

That's even changed. There are several TGLBs for sale on the exchange right now, just sitting there unsold for ~$600 or less. Softest and most saturated secondary Busse market ever!!!
I agree SP. I also remember when you couldn't get your hands on a Ratweiler without a bank loan and collateral. :eek:
Elof is prolly hoarding 'em!

BE - knowing you, we'll be seeing action pics before all the leaves fall off the trees. :)

Absolutely. I was disappointed with how many user vids and pictures there were of it so I figured I need to add some. I don't think I was able to find a review even of one that was used outside of a basic forum post. Sounds like it will need an edge thinning an convexing when I get it too.

It's also black micarta so it may become a stripper to match the ratweiler.

I like to hike a bunch in the winter when the wetlands freeze over and you can walk on the cattails. Rucki should see a bit of use knocking those down along with the bastid briars that like to at base. We've had a bunch if rain so my trails are flooded so it may be a couple weeks before I try to beat the coating off.

Absolutely. I was disappointed with how many user vids and pictures there were of it so I figured I need to add some. I don't think I was able to find a review even of one that was used outside of a basic forum post. Sounds like it will need an edge thinning an convexing when I get it too.

It's also black micarta so it may become a stripper to match the ratweiler.

I like to hike a bunch in the winter when the wetlands freeze over and you can walk on the cattails. Rucki should see a bit of use knocking those down along with the bastid briars that like to at base. We've had a bunch if rain so my trails are flooded so it may be a couple weeks before I try to beat the coating off.
I love to see anybody actually use these quality blades like they were designed.
I haven't been able to get out much to use mine due to my up and coming rotator cuff procedure...next week. But when I first got my INFI Ratweiler, I took her out back and cut some stuff up. I can't afford to have knives to look at. I envy those who can.

The best looking knives are used knives and I think they look the best when they're in your hand getting used. I have a few GEC's and traditionals for looking at but most of my fixed blades get used or have been used before making them a collector/only use occasionally piece. I can't help but feel that busse kin are too well made to just look at and the kid in me won't stop fondling them anyway so might as well fondle them into some wood or food while I'm at it.

Just got shipping, might get the rucki before the weekend so I can go piss off the neighbors with the sounds of a 6ft wood pecker in woods behind their house.

Well, it rained all weekend, much of last week, and it's still raining so m trails are flooded. But, I spent several hours getting the rucki ready for building wood chip piles. Put a 30 degree edge on it, similar to what's on my ratweiler (haven't measured but I like it thinnish) and then did a slight convexing with some sand paper. I think this thing had a 50 degree edge on it, it was way too thick and came dull (it was used too). Much better now but damn, it was like re-profiling 4 knives at once. I will say, the softer steel on machetes you can re-profile with a file has it's strong points. Still have a little work to do on the tip for optimal stabbing but since that's not an edge I use when chopping and clearing trail, doesn't matter much right now. I often leave it rough for cutting into dirt but not sure I'll treat this as badly as the $20-50 machetes I have.

I may have been wishing some more limbs came down in the back yard for something I could use the rucki on beside already process wood in my wood pile but no such luck.

ya1fTyEl.jpg

j2pqqBzl.jpg

MQceehJl.jpg

P.S. new paint in the kitchen looks nice, thanks wife. It was barbie pink before from the previous owners.

Next step, if it stays raining, is to strip the rest of the coating off, see what we have underneath, and consider getting it a polished finish. Gotta do something while waiting for the trails to dry up.

Next step, if it stays raining, is to strip the rest of the coating off, see what we have underneath, and consider getting it a polished finish. Gotta do something while waiting for the trails to dry up.
BE - that's one sweet MoFo or is it a RuckFo? I'll bet you're chomping at the bit to get outside. Don't even think about chopping up Mom's kitchen chairs. :)

BE - that's one sweet MoFo or is it a RuckFo? I'll bet you're chomping at the bit to get outside. Don't even think about chopping up Mom's kitchen chairs. :)

It's been pretty tempting to chop up a bunch of spare boards I have around for house repairs. I'm thinking tomorrow might be the day, I'm just going to have to wear rubber boots or something because it's still flooded I'm just tired of waiting. Sometimes you just have to go see how flooded it is as an excuse to get out back. Usually if the gravel roads are a mess (they are peanut butter still) then the marsh I romp around in isn't in great shape since it's basically the area the county left as a drainage area. Awesome for winter hiking but still decent when it's dry and cool enough the skeeters aren't active.

It's been pretty tempting to chop up a bunch of spare boards I have around for house repairs. I'm thinking tomorrow might be the day, I'm just going to have to wear rubber boots or something because it's still flooded I'm just tired of waiting. Sometimes you just have to go see how flooded it is as an excuse to get out back. Usually if the gravel roads are a mess (they are peanut butter still) then the marsh I romp around in isn't in great shape since it's basically the area the county left as a drainage area. Awesome for winter hiking but still decent when it's dry and cool enough the skeeters aren't active.
Yea, sounds like you got the itch for which they'es only one cure! Chop some crap up!

Well, I was able to at least walk some of the trails but they're still pretty flooded. Used the rucki a little but not what it's intention was. It chops like poop compared to choppers but a lot of that is still because I didn't get a good finished edge towards the tip and it seems like that's going to be the sweet spot for chopping. This should be a lot more fun when I can get across the creek and get to the cattails and I can start clearing out my winter trails through the really wet spots that freeze over. Need to finish up that sharpening job I guess as that last 1/4 or so needs to be sharp on this one.

kgzzmlZl.jpg

Critter tracks
x6g9KVql.jpg

Poo... my log bridge has moved
uOlEg5Ol.jpg

rOdVvtRl.jpg

Some testing
NA5Pzsrl.jpg

The "standard" to test against. My modified rinaldo milano axe. Obviously expecting the axe to chop better but gives me a reference point for something I've used a fair bit and began customizing to my preferences already.
gejTZ1Kl.jpg

After seeing the tracks and getting more interested in catching my own food again through various means I need to do some research on trapping in my area since hunting is difficult with the limit on firearms (no rifles allowed South of a certain point in MI). Kind of goes along with my self-sufficiency trend with bushcraft learnings as a stress outlet.

Found another use for the RMD, measuring the biggest dragonfly I've seen up close hanging out on my kitchen screen on a windy night after taking the puppy out.

agcvyHu.jpg

hSnEzPB.jpg

Back