Swamp Rat and SYKCO Chat

BE - tell the truth, that Rucki looks like she'd be a lot of fun to swing and chop with. Prolly more so after you get a good edge on her. She kinda reminds me of a shorter version of a Samurai. One or two hands on her?

BE - tell the truth, that Rucki looks like she'd be a lot of fun to swing and chop with. Prolly more so after you get a good edge on her. She kinda reminds me of a shorter version of a Samurai. One or two hands on her?

So there's the best part, the balance right behind the guard should be perfect for one-hand snap cuts but all the way to the butt is great for one hand chopping. The handle has plenty of length for two hands which I tried a bit since this really favors hitting with the tip it was displeasing. The edge bounced on the dry wood instead of digging in so I know I have a bad edge on it up there. Probably shaved the shoulders down a lot while trying to reprofile that section but never go it to the point of getting a nice bur like the rest of it. Huge difference from the tip's bite and the edge below it. I did get a hell of a pokey tip though.

It came with a thick edge like I expected and has been reported so it's not a big disappointed in the rucki, more that I still have more work to do to finish it up.

Thinking some citristrip is in my weekend work with it also :D:cool:

Swamp Warden will be my only fixed blade for the next 3-5 weeks... unless something catches my eye during the holidays

Now that you mention that, I may get some slots cut into mine as well! ...:D

Yeah, I have to say, that finish turned out really nice!
IoWZtEi.jpg
Man -O- Man, now if I could only get out and use her. This being in a sling for 30 days is crazy and I'm only 2 days in!

When this sling crap is all over, I'd like to turn the InfiWeiler loose on it and make it disappear.

BE - that'll take one long arse vat to strip that Rucki!
Not like a Warden, eh Elof?

It’s not that I don’t like the Warden, it’s that I don’t like to be really limited in number of knives at my disposal

When this sling crap is all over, I'd like to turn the InfiWeiler loose on it and make it disappear.

BE - that'll take one long arse vat to strip that Rucki!
Not like a Warden, eh Elof?

I hope this is enough...
7tYzWMLl.jpg

Also have this to work on
hFmA4fJl.jpg

And a 911 should be here tomorrow if I can beat USPS to my house to get the signature. Should have a nice busse kin collection with 3.5", 5.5" 7.5", 9.5" and 15.5" blade lengths all covered and in SR-101 steel. Going to have to get a picture of the stripper quintet soon.

I hope this is enough...
7tYzWMLl.jpg

Also have this to work on
hFmA4fJl.jpg

And a 911 should be here tomorrow if I can beat USPS to my house to get the signature. Should have a nice busse kin collection with 3.5", 5.5" 7.5", 9.5" and 15.5" blade lengths all covered and in SR-101 steel. Going to have to get a picture of the stripper quintet soon.
Looking good BE. I think you might have drunk a tad much of the Busse koolaid!
A little Busse crack? I love it!

Looking good BE. I think you might have drunk a tad much of the Busse koolaid!
A little Busse crack? I love it!

That's potentially true... the problem with the busse kin is the prices aren't much higher than something like an esee or LT Wright (another favorite of mine as far as designs go) so it's easy to justify them price-wise. Don't have a busse yet... yet may be the keyword there as there are a few of the forsaken series that are really looking good lately.

More importantly, it's fall and fall means the woods are clearing up nicely so I can get around the swamps a little easier and when it's winter it only gets better in the wetlands. Water is still high but it's getting lower so hopefully this week I can get back to exploring beyond my little wood processing camp.

P.S. the wood in the top of the video is some of the dead stuff I've been collecting and should be the last piece of a bench I'm making the wife and me for sitting on the back deck. Treated them with linseed oil and then I need to tie them together for sitting. Probably get some type of seat pad but I'll try it without first.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the finished product.
If this turns out nice, you could ultimately sell some which brings an interesting thought....I would of never realized I could make money with my Infiweiler.
But then again, there's firewood?

The 311 went really well. The rucki needs a few spots hit again but came out okay. The convex grind was a lot harder to scrape than the mostly flat grind of the 311.

USPS is screwing me over right now for the 911. Seller wanted a signature and they won't come when anyone's home (I'm home all day today and they simply drove by) and haven't left anything saying I can pick it up. I may have to swing by there before close and figure out what's going on. I've got wood to chop while the weather's nice.

After the wash and coat of mineral oil
wWikStpl.jpg

Before
hFmA4fJl.jpg

The 311 went really well. The rucki needs a few spots hit again but came out okay. The convex grind was a lot harder to scrape than the mostly flat grind of the 311.

USPS is screwing me over right now for the 911. Seller wanted a signature and they won't come when anyone's home (I'm home all day today and they simply drove by) and haven't left anything saying I can pick it up. I may have to swing by there before close and figure out what's going on. I've got wood to chop while the weather's nice.

After the wash and coat of mineral oil
wWikStpl.jpg

Before
hFmA4fJl.jpg
Satin and black...my favorite combo. Looks good!
Call the Post Office and tell them you'll come there and sign for it.

Satin and black...my favorite combo. Looks good!
Call the Post Office and tell them you'll come there and sign for it.

Seller already called and isn't making much progress. Tracking shows that it's waiting for a delivery scan, last updated 10/23/18. Sell stated he's going to call in the AM again and we're going to connect afterwards to see if I need to show up and make some demands in person. The dumb things is that we signed for some other knives today... just not the darned 911. I was hoping to beat up some trees with it after my wife said she finally signed only to find out one of the trades I had lined up requested a signature.

Oh well, put some new paracord on the RW after accidentally letting the previous setup dang between a limb and the edge.

These pics remind me of how much work the 311 needs to go through to earn it's keep. Actually, chopping up some trees earlier this weeks started knocking patina off of it.
IPkgSRyl.jpg

0HkBkR8l.jpg

Chopper grip
ZTbeEHPl.jpg

It showed up... big thanks to the seller for calling USPS several times to get them off their bums.

Coating looks pretty nice so I may leave it on for a bit... until I knock a bunch off at least.
WWeZSBfl.jpg

0g7jKIZl.jpg

Some smaller kindling. Batons quite nice with little shock. Not too surprising as that's the big downside for exposed tangs for me and my hands.
KD8u2i7l.jpg

Resizing some sticks
TSrsjjPl.jpg

fG6lDw0l.jpg

C9WQMHil.jpg

Enjoying the neat look of berry trees when all the green is starting to fade
6h5IxMVl.jpg

The camo blade works, hard to see the 911 in there
epNXvKql.jpg

revisiting an old area the ratweiler did some heavy work earlier this year
mFKXbe8l.jpg

Starting to get hints of a little coating wearin' thin in the sweet spot.
OBxN5OFl.jpg

And a stick I'm going to try and carve something from (no idea what) since the pink wood is really pleasing to the eyes. I think this is actually the stick I chopped off in my avatar that was still laying there from when I cleared the trail.
HH09YQll.jpg

Rainy and cold today so I took the RMD inside for some winter prep work building a pile of bark for starting fires. Let the wife reap the rewards of some recent tool acquisitions ;). Gotta keep her happy too. Used the 311 too but was quickly reminded why the longer knives are nicer for bigger chunks of wood. Moved to the RW first but my said I was too loud chopping the strips of bark off and she was trying to nap while I was working on keeping the fire cozy.

1kzYW1Fl.jpg

UioocCKl.jpg

I hope you guys don't mind, I feel like I'm sharing a lot on this thread. I also see there's not a SYKCO forum so I feel like this is a busse kin forum almost.

Have the 911 sitting in stripper. Took out a few knocked over trees today and a lot of coating was smoothed out and a bit coming off so I figure the finish was ruined enough to take it of. RMD is getting the treatment too.

I hope you guys don't mind, I feel like I'm sharing a lot on this thread. I also see there's not a SYKCO forum so I feel like this is a busse kin forum almost.

Have the 911 sitting in stripper. Took out a few knocked over trees today and a lot of coating was smoothed out and a bit coming off so I figure the finish was ruined enough to take it of. RMD is getting the treatment too.

No worries man. I've been spending a lot of time in the hills myself, so haven't been uploading any pics to post. But I've been enjoying yours nonetheless. I definitely want to see those stripped blades. Cheers.

Dave

Heck BE, seeing's how I'm still sporting this stinking sling/immobilizer, I'm living my knife life thru you. Keep up the great work and don't P the wifey off.
Love the pics and the commentary.

Not perfect, but it's not too bad either. The citristrip must have a bit of acid in it because these babies got a nice patina from being coated in stripper for 2 days (2 applications, let sit from afternoon to afternoon because that's what time allowed). I need to clean the edges up a little from some surface rust and the 911 needed a good sharpening anyway after the past few outings with it. Overall, I think it's a success.

I'll have to get the set together later but here's the 2 new strippers for now, freshly cleaned and oiled.

XJjimmLl.jpg

Before
OBxN5OFl.jpg

roJbhspl.jpg

Back