The Practical Hunter has arrived. All Hail the Practical Hunter !!!

I'm in love. :D

OriginalSargeandFiddlebackPractical.jpg

AndyRoyFiddlebackKismetPracticalHun.jpg

Original Post from Wilderness and Survival Skills forum:
It ARRIVED !!! Evolution of a classic!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rural route carrier showed up today with a wondrous knife...the "one-knife" for me, I think.

I'm a meat hunter. As much as I love various blades I have, and have seen, I don't "collect" knives. Sometimes, just the small variety I have annoys me because I have to rotate them to feel justified in having so many.

I think those days are done. Fiddleback Forge, Andy Roy's hangout, took a crude design I'd done years ago, which had subsequently become a 200-ish run of HI knives...and has created, or re-created a classic Practical Hunting knife.

I just love the handle (hugely important to me), the execution of the blade shape with its various bevels for not just field dressing a whitetail, but processing it, as well, and the synthesis of artistry, history, function and substance it incorporates.

The original had a cut-off spoon handle as a finger-guard. Fiddleback (at least this one) has a wrought iron bolster, substantially protecting the hand as it grips the walnut slabs on the serious full tang blade. The blade is astonishingly sharp, and the false edge is perfect for separating the legs and joints for quartering and processing.

Right now, it is going to go with me in the home-made SARGE sheath, where, for all its beauty, it fits quite naturally.

It was made to work.

Awesome :thumbup: The blade shape is really apealing, from an aesthetic perspective as well as a utilitatian one. Do you happen to know what kind of wood that is?

There are quite a few of us who have been here so long we can say, "We knew Andy *Before* he ever dreamed of being a Knifemaker and now look at him!:thumbup: :eek: :cool: :D :thumbup:

I've told Andy many times over now, "That he just keeps getting better and better." and now I have too tell him again..... Andy my young friend you've done it yet again, you just keep getting better and better.....

Thats stabalized Walnut crotchwood.

Thanks Yvsa. You guys started all this!

Andy this blade really turned out great. It look just has that special look to it. Kind of classic yet tough & very different. Keep up the great work.

That is so gorgeous. When I have the funds, I'm getting one.

And Kis? (I always love to use that trademark question mark:D)
It's a real honor have have an actual "salvaged" one by you. The little Corporal is my most treasured knife...no joke.

That is one sexy beast. You should send me one to photograph.

Last edited:
That is one sexy beast. You should send me one to photograph.

Yes. Sir. I'm doing 4 now for knivesshipfree dot com. I'll be doing a run of them once I finish that order and I'll make you one up then! (24 knives for KSF! Y'll go buy them up from Derrick when he gets them!)

Damn, Andy, sounds like things are up and running for you. I'm happy as hell for ya:):thumbup: The wife wants to buy me a new watch for our anniversary. Maybe I should stick with my Timex Expedition and have her order me a Fiddleback KPH:D

On a side note, I don't think the local officials of Ireland would like me packing around my Woodsman:( But I am bringing that laguiole you sent me a couple years back:thumbup:

There are quite a few of us who have been here so long we can say, "We knew Andy *Before* he ever dreamed of being a Knifemaker and now look at him!:thumbup: :eek: :cool: :D :thumbup:

I've told Andy many times over now, "That he just keeps getting better and better." and now I have too tell him again..... Andy my young friend you've done it yet again, you just keep getting better and better.....

I remember reading about his Old Hickory nessies. Those were nothing compared to his new stuff. Definitely some of the most beautiful knives on the market. AND they're users!

Kismet, you thought up this pattern? The orginal was made by Himalayan Imports? What are the dimensions?

I remember reading about his Old Hickory nessies. Those were nothing compared to his new stuff. Definitely some of the most beautiful knives on the market. AND they're users!

Kismet, you thought up this pattern? The orginal was made by Himalayan Imports? What are the dimensions?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680789

Really, progression was from Marbles Woodcraft to me to Fiddleback, with a few hundred H.I. versions in-between.

Back