The Practical Hunter has arrived. All Hail the Practical Hunter !!!

Thanks for posting in this thread Kismet. It was cool reading! Awesome knife too. Before this I'd never even seen a Fiddleback with metal bolsters.

Nice! Yeah, that's back when Andy teased us with the possibility of him making metal bolsters actually be a thing lol

Nice! Yeah, that's back when Andy teased us with the possibility of him making metal bolsters actually be a thing lol

As I recall, Andy said he'd salvaged some wrought iron and had it on a shelf or in storage somewhere. It didn't have a specific purpose so he decided to try his hand at using it as a bolster for the first few KPHs being made. I can't quite quote him, but my recollection is that it was limited in supply and time-consuming and challenging (maybe frustrating) to work with. Now this was back when he'd first gone pro and was doing everything himself to ensure the quality which has become Fiddleback Forge's hallmark.

I can't imagine Andy teasing you, but might be able to envision him suggesting that all things may be possible for those who wait;). I believe the operative phrase is "may be."

But hey, it's ten years later and he never suggested how long a "may be" wait is. Fiddleback Forge is creating art out of metal.

Have fun.

As I recall, Andy said he'd salvaged some wrought iron and had it on a shelf or in storage somewhere. It didn't have a specific purpose so he decided to try his hand at using it as a bolster for the first few KPHs being made. I can't quite quote him, but my recollection is that it was limited in supply and time-consuming and challenging (maybe frustrating) to work with. Now this was back when he'd first gone pro and was doing everything himself to ensure the quality which has become Fiddleback Forge's hallmark.

I can't imagine Andy teasing you, but might be able to envision him suggesting that all things may be possible for those who wait;). I believe the operative phrase is "may be."

But hey, it's ten years later and he never suggested how long a "may be" wait is. Fiddleback Forge is creating art out of metal.

Have fun.

LOLOLOL, touche'!! I've been having fun here for the entire last ten years! Sometimes that fun is just poking fun at my brother Andy. I could probably get pretty close to quoting some of his thoughts on metal bolsters, from several conversations over several beers over the last ten years, but I'll just leave it as he really doesn't see it being a viable element in his market, and I totally get and respect that point. I'd just love the knife I stop on to be a Fiddleback bushcraft knife with metal bolters, and these knives teased that thought into my head lol. But it doesn't mean I don't appreciate all of the functional art that Andy does produce, and I've enjoyed every piece of it I've ever handled in one way or another, and I cannot say that about many other knife makers I've known, and I know and have known a lot of them.

All Right! I just ransomed my pictures from Photobucket, so they should show up clear and without Photoshop's logo over them. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Hi Bill!!! It has been a long time my friend. Last time we spoke my kids were still kids. I hope you're well and have many dog stories to share!

Hey Andy, nice of you to welcome me. I was being held hostage by my server who only provided dial-up service (if you could call it that), but finally someone developed something called "hot spot modem" service via U.S. Cellular. Twice the cost, but so much better so far. The ominous part of my appreciation is that U.S. Cellular was recently purchased by....wait for it...my former service provider. :(

It had gotten so bad that with all the data that sites are sending, the dial-up would choke to death and not open sites--like my old Outlook email account.

I have a couple more of the Young Bert, the not-right dog, stories folks might enjoy.

I'm very pleased by your success and your consideration for other apprentice knife-makers, and of course, your ethical standards. I am honored by your friendship.

Be gentle with yourself.

Last edited:
Bert the not right dog stories would be great to hear again. I cannot imagine the pic and video and gif heavy nature of today's internet on dialup. Every news story starts an automatic video.

Going through some earlier shots, I came across an image illustrating my KPH cutting a nice, ripe, juicy tomato.

The tomato has left us, but the KPH soldiers on. :)tomatokphjpgcropped.jpg

Very neat thread! I love seeing the evolution and start of designs. Had a hidden tang KPH years ago. It felt amazing in hand. But the blade was wider then I preferred at the time. Got into the Marbles Woodcraft, Western L88, etc knives recently which reminded me of the KPH. May need to track another one down.

Back