The practice of loaning knives

Would you loan a knife to someone?

• Total voters
One concept that was entirely new to me when I joined BF was loaning knives. Lending a knife for a few seconds to someone I trust, sure. But I've never really loaned a knife to anyone for long term use. Honestly, I would be reluctant to loan my Spydercos even to a friend unless he's really into knife safety and responsibility.

Has anyone experienced loaning a knife? How did it go?

Last knife I loaned was to my cousin when he was working at a plastic processing plant. S30V Native came back with a broken tip and stained blade from JB Weld. Don't loan knives anymore, I have a box of knives I've been given/found that I just hand out to keep if I need to.

The few people I would loan a knife too, I would just give it to them.
Exactly ! Only for me what applies to knives , goes for money , tools , and everything else .

If you can't honestly and without resentment or conditions , give as gift ...then don't loan it , either .

With very few exceptions , those people that you'd be safe to loan a valued possession are the very ones who would never need to ask .

How did it go ? Not well. I just give them to people now. In the distant past I got folders back with snapped off tips. I lent a package of 3 fixed blades to a guy in a mutual "try them out" swap. His never arrived, mine where never returned. I tracked him down on the phone at his workplace and got a song and dance. He disappeared from the forum shortly after. I'd have more respect and understanding if he was going through something, and he just levelled with me. Hah, I forgot all about that until now. Life goes on.

Nope. To lots of people in my life knives are not only knives but scrapers, reamers, icepicks, screwdrivers, drills, throwing knives, hammers, pry tools, tent stakes, doorstops, whatever.

I’ve given away tons of knives and cut plenty of stuff for people, but I learned that lesson many moons back.

Yep. I have a couple friends who are into knives but priorities and circumstance prevent them from collecting. I trust them and know if something happened they'd make it right if I let them. We've been dirt riding/hunting partners for 20+ years. I've let them carry a knife for a couple months or more, in fact I insist on it. I like them to be able to appreciate what I'm into and get their opinions. Both have been on the receiving end of what I would consider mid-tier knives, Para's, Mid-techs's and various lower end knives that I don't waterfall to my kids. I like being generous to true friends and I like to clean out the collection occasionally but have never sold a knife.

Nope. To lots of people in my life knives are not only knives but scrapers, reamers, icepicks, screwdrivers, drills, throwing knives, hammers, pry tools, tent stakes, doorstops, whatever.

I’ve given away tons of knives and cut plenty of stuff for people, but I learned that lesson many moons back.
Very good point.

Typically the people I’m around who need a knife and don’t have them also question me on why it’s a hobby for me and why I choose to spend as much as I do on them. I just brush it off and ask what needs cut and do it myself if tell them to get a more proper tool.

In other aspects, I do have a few knives I don’t tend to use as much or at all anymore and I will lend them out to people who are “wanting to get into them” so they can see what they like and don’t. Doesn’t hurt to help create a new enthusiast

Back