The quest for wooden scales...

Hey guys,

New to the forum and relatively new to the category, but learning fast. Looking for some input/recommendations. I've gotten it in my head that I want to add a knife with shaped/contoured wooden scales to my collection. Something in a 2.75-3.5” blade length, and probably linerlock (design preference over function on this one). I've seen and handled some nice folders with inlays, but that doesn't satisfy what I'm looking for here. Want something of good quality in the $300-$600ish range. Below is highlights of the current collection:

CRK Large Inkosi Tanto
Reate T2500
WE Knives Pleroma
Ferrum Forge Gent (Drop knife) wood
Spyderco Efficient

The Benchmade Mini Crooked river is a great knife with stabilized wood scales. I know you said you'd prefer a linerlock, but the axis lock is worth a try for sure.

The Benchmade Mini Crooked river is a great knife with stabilized wood scales. I know you said you'd prefer a linerlock, but the axis lock is worth a try for sure.
I've yet to own a benchmade, so that might be an option. Also saw their North Fork with wood scales. that said, 4" blade is bigger than what I'd like.

Buck 112 falls into your size range but is a lock back.
Current standard covers/scales are solid Ebony wood.
For a 3.75 inch blade the 110 also has solid Ebony as standard again.
Custom Shop options for both the 112 and 110 include S30V blade steel and a choice of brass or German Silver/nickel silver bolsters and liners, with or without cover pins, and a choice of several woods. (The Oak, Cherry, Walnut, and Blue are laminated. The other woods are solid.)

The Italian Lion Steel knives are available with wood.

Last edited:
Mcusta offers several liner lock folders with contoured wood handles in that size range. But they're below your stated price range.

I was also going to mention Mcusta. The stainless damascus with VG-10 core/edge makes for a very nice blade, and a good knife, regardless of the cost.

Thanks everyone! Due to some feedback from a couple other knife folks I know, I'm avoiding Lion Steel and Mcusta. Also, the Mcusta stuff is a bit more dainty than I had in mind. The Benchmade Mini has my attention, but I've also just been pinged by a friend with a Dervish Comanche that he's letting go. It's a big little knife, kind of reminds me of the wide profile of my Spyderco... That might be the winner after all.

Purely from an aesthetics standpoint, I had it in my head that I would find something with a shape similar to the Giantmouse Ace Biblio Micarta, but with wood scales.

Buck 112 falls into your size range but is a lock back.
Current standard covers/scales are solid Ebony wood.
For a 3.75 inch blade the 110 also has solid Ebony as standard again.
Custom Shop options for both the 112 and 110 include S30V blade steel and a choice of brass or German Silver/nickel silver bolsters and liners, with or without cover pins, and a choice of several woods. (The Oak, Cherry, Walnut, and Blue are laminated. The other woods are solid.)

The Italian Lion Steel knives are available with wood.
Appreciate the recommendations. The Buck knives are a bit more traditional than what I'm hunting for. I had a few of those in my teenage years that are since long gone, and they kind of remind me of being back on the farm. Nothing wrong with that, but the hunt continues.

You could special order a Buck 110 Auto, in S30V, with wood scales. Modern traditional.

Back