The Quintessential Coke Bottle Thread (The Patterns, The History, The Experiences)

Good evening...my compliments on such a beautiful knife. Forgive my ignorance, but I was wondering why one doesn't carry a stag with brass liners and pins?

The brass tends to tarnish, and spread green verdigris around on the stag around it, some folks don't mind it, others find it unsightly.

I will add to what Quiet said and say that when one carries Stag, paired with brass and unprotected (not carried in a slip or sheath), sweat and other moisture can cause the development of verdigris. Verdigris is caused by the reaction of acids to brass and copper and takes the form of a green substance that will most certainly stain lighter colored materials like Stag and bone.

Keeping such knives well maintained and protected while carrying will limit, if not completely stave off the growth of verdigris.

Here's a somewhat rare NYK Co. swing guard/coke bottle.
Li356Kr.jpg

FYimm5z.jpg

That is absolutely spectacular, Mike! What a specimen! I wasn't sure if I had seen an original "Coke Bottle" with a swing guard before so it is nice to see one like yours. The jigged bone is wonderful and I love the application of that shield - I see it used a fair bit on those old NYKC Coke Bottles.

The end cap is interesting too, has a unique shape to it.

Thanks Dylan. I guess I thought of it more as a swing guard until I read the recent posts in this thread. I'm told they only made that pattern for a few years before they went under. I like that shield as well.

That is absolutely spectacular, Mike! What a specimen! I wasn't sure if I had seen an original "Coke Bottle" with a swing guard before so it is nice to see one like yours. The jigged bone is wonderful and I love the application of that shield - I see it used a fair bit on those old NYKC Coke Bottles.

The end cap is interesting too, has a unique shape to it.

I have to agree. That knife is stunning Mike Robuck Mike Robuck and I appreciate you sharing. Dylan, that endcap almost looks like a Buck 119 or similar. I bet it helps hold this knife in hand quite well. Beautiful.

Thanks Forrest. It is quite comfortable in hand. I imagine it would take a strong belt or suspenders back in the day to keep those pants from sagging!

Dylan, you've got a great spot picked out to utilize daylight for your photos. Well done.
Greg

Thank you, Greg. I am always looking to improve, though I feel that I am getting better with my natural lighting use. At some point, I will need to play with a lightbox but I've been putting it off until I can invest in better photography equipment.

Here’s my latest score:

FF7086-EC-B915-4227-9-F2-C-3-F6-B40940-B41.jpg

Traded for it with someone who got it from the GEC Factory Store, the tube says it’s one of 39!!

Very nice score, Forrest! I was wondering what you had up your sleeve... Referring back to the production numbers, there is a blurb about a small run of 41 Northfields in the Antique Gold Jigged Bone - no mention of shield though. I don't know how accurate the published totals are so it is entirely possible that this one is completely undocumented. It is interesting to note though, a very small run (9) was done in Ebony with the Propeller shield.

I imagine that there are a few variants that ended up in the store. Unless someone specifically can verify, it is hard to know which ones they were - at least we now know of one.

Thank you, Greg. I am always looking to improve, though I feel that I am getting better with my natural lighting use. At some point, I will need to play with a lightbox but I've been putting it off until I can invest in better photography equipment.

Very nice score, Forrest! I was wondering what you had up your sleeve... Referring back to the production numbers, there is a blurb about a small run of 41 Northfields in the Antique Gold Jigged Bone - no mention of shield though. I don't know how accurate the published totals are so it is entirely possible that this one is completely undocumented. It is interesting to note though, a very small run (9) was done in Ebony with the Propeller shield.

I imagine that there are a few variants that ended up in the store. Unless someone specifically can verify, it is hard to know which ones they were - at least we now know of one.

Well, I can tell you that it's marked with an "S", and this is stamped on the tang as well. The gentleman I dealt with said that he also has one of these, this was a second one he owned, purchased for a trade that didn't go through previously. It seems to me that the store models might not be as accurately tracked as we would like.

Well, I can tell you that it's marked with an "S", and this is stamped on the tang as well. The gentleman I dealt with said that he also has one of these, this was a second one he owned, purchased for a trade that didn't go through previously. It seems to me that the store models might not be as accurately tracked as we would like.

Nevertheless, I think it's a stellar score - very nicely done. I do like the bone color and that shield sets it off nicely.

It raises a bit of a dilemma for me though. I've always relied on GEC's production totals but I've never really sought out an entire production run before. As a result, I feel like such a novice and am not certain how to approach getting further information, let alone unknown variants.

It makes my collecting aspirations a bit more challenging than I initially anticipated.

Nevertheless, I think it's a stellar score - very nicely done. I do like the bone color and that shield sets it off nicely.

It raises a bit of a dilemma for me though. I've always relied on GEC's production totals but I've never really sought out an entire production run before. As a result, I feel like such a novice and am not certain how to approach getting further information, let alone unknown variants.

It makes my collecting aspirations a bit more challenging than I initially anticipated.

Given that I am of the same search, which I started only a little bit before you, I have two more I'll feasibly be able to find (a Stag and the CCC respectively) before I'll probably consider it good. The other two appear to be simple unobtanium, though I DO hope you're able to score them one day, as you take better pictures more consistently than I do. :D It'd be nice to see those two in good light!

Got my latest in today - another "black box" Winchester. This one is dressed up in Stag.

Admittedly, I do not know a lot about these Winchesters, other than that they were made by Queen and are considered some of their better work. From what I can tell, the brown jigged is from 1990 and the Stag was produced a year later, in 1991. There are some other differences aside from the cover material - no hole in the endcap for a bail in the Stag and the swedge is a lot more clearly defined on the jigged bone. The action on the Stag is also substantially better.

However, both suffer from pretty thick grinds, particularly behind the edge - which I find to be a shame. They would be a lot more useful if they were keener.

This is the first time I have seen one of these in Stag pop up so I needed to scoop it up for the collection. The Stag is excellent - deep, rich color, lots of texture, and nice thickness to the slabs. Though I like the mark side well enough, the pile side steals the show - it's the sort of Stag that my dreams are made of. It is absolutely exquisite.

cALuFuO.jpg

QjvjZiF.jpg

Some beautiful coke bottle hunters in this thread :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...

Just wanted to share this old American Knife Co Thomaston Conn (1875-1911) coke bottle hunter - sabre ground blade and despite use at some point it appears to never have been sharpened...

U14ljHf.jpg

Df72fCg.jpg

n8cKd5f.jpg

Some beautiful coke bottle hunters in this thread :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...

Just wanted to share this old American Knife Co Thomaston Conn (1875-1911) coke bottle hunter - sabre ground blade and despite use at some point it appears to never have been sharpened...

U14ljHf.jpg

Df72fCg.jpg

n8cKd5f.jpg

That is excellent, what a fine looking example! If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions on that one (length and such)?

View attachment 1505828

This has been labelled as a coke-bottle whitler by some.
If it doesn’t belong Dylan I’ll edit.

I should add a few to mckgreg’s black-box thread.

cheers,
Gus

I think it makes for interesting discussion, Gus.

Perusing a lot of the old catalogs, I have come across numerous examples of that particular style of knife. Unequal end, swell centered pen or jack - it fits the coke bottle shape, for sure. I have found the Coke Bottle moniker to be a rather casual label - it isn't one found in catalogs, at least not vintage ones. I don't think I have ever seen that whittler referred to as a "coke bottle" but then again, the large "coke bottle" hunters aren't always referred to as such either - even in casual discussion.

Same here Dylan, on the information of these that I've casually observed.
The history of this pattern is of interest to me as well, and a fitting thread here.
Thanks for starting it !

P.S. I always look forward to your stellar photography.
Gus

That is excellent, what a fine looking example! If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions on that one (length and such)?

Thanks very much :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... Closed length is 5 & 1/4" - I think it seems to be the classic size for most of the oldies, though I have an old Holley Hunter that is 4 & 3/4" but indeed not a coke bottle pattern...

Thanks very much :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... Closed length is 5 & 1/4" - I think it seems to be the classic size for most of the oldies, though I have an old Holley Hunter that is 4 & 3/4" but indeed not a coke bottle pattern...

Thank you for the info. It can be hard to judge dimensions from pictures sometimes. A couple of things that I find interesting about that Thomaston is that not only is it a barehead but it features a Spear blade, rather than the more commonly seen Clip.

It really is a neat example and I appreciate you sharing it.

Good evening...my compliments on such a beautiful knife. Forgive my ignorance, but I was wondering why one doesn't carry a stag with brass liners and pins?
I apologize for not see your posting my friend . Welcome to the Forums . I certainly hope that you will enjoy the time you get to spend here .
Thank you for the very kind words about my knife .
I actually do carry my Stag . The kicker is : If the Stag handled or White Colored Bone has Brass Liners and or Brass Pins , I will carry them in a Slip . Even on days like today that I am just vegging out , like today , I carry them in slips . You may have already read that both Quiet Quiet and Pàdruig Pàdruig explain the reasons for this . I have a very few Stag handled knives that have Steel Liners and Pins that I do not worry about carrying in slips . I would hope that you acquire a Stag handled knife . For me , it is my favorite handle cover .

Harry

Back