The Quintessential Coke Bottle Thread (The Patterns, The History, The Experiences)

Some more old ones to show off.

First up is a Sword Brand Camillus. The "Forest King" - it can be found in the 1928 catalog page I've included below. The print says Redwood handles - these look like Cocobolo - I can't recall what redwood represents in these vintage prints.

This knife has a nice full blade and a very keen edge. I also love how finely ground the point is and the banner shield is just icing on the cake. Walk-n-talk is superb with a nice 7ish pull. It suffers from a good amount of wobble though so I might look into doing some fettling on it.

This is an old knife that I will look forward to carrying if I can resolve the wobble.

vZN4p20.jpg

uycAQP0.jpg

V6IWyJ8.jpg

aVHSL3N.jpg

5Q81Nfc.jpg

nysOoQ6.jpg

m3dYaa4.jpg

Some comparison shots with a Waynorth Coke Bottle - made by GEC on their 97 frame. Note the difference in how the points have been ground - the Waynorth is much thicker.

9w7jJYj.jpg

PcgHuiw.jpg

Up next are a couple of Empires. I don't know a lot about this company - yet. More research is required.

I love that these feature some things that I haven't experienced yet on this pattern - lockback, rat tail bolsters, and barehead. One is in Ebony and the other appears to be a bit fancier with bone, more elaborate swedge, and what appears to be a bit more polish.

The Ebony is in better shape, still has the etch visible, and has no hint of any wobble. The Bone is a bit rougher, having had less care with sharpening, a word scratched into shield, and has a fair bit of wobble when open (another one that I hope to do some work on).

h8ejGxn.jpg

r2Qkjui.jpg

R9x1T3t.jpg

mgIt9bR.jpg

To round out the latest, last but not least, here is a barehead Thomaston. Possibly Cocobolo handles? This is a stout knife and in very sturdy shape despite the unkindness it has endured in past sharpenings.

I know less about Thomaston than Empire so I will need to do some research on this as well.

Ni28Td4.jpg

l8DyL0q.jpg

iDCQeTa.jpg

I've bumped into this thread a few times, enough to regret getting rid of my Yellow Rose 97 so I went looking around last weekend.
I had my doubts I'd find anything in this collectors climate and my searches dropped me into ebay territory where the prices were pretty much as I expected.
Then I did my due diligence and searched a few of our forum dealers and sure enough I found one at CK!
And it was the one I wanted.:)
Nice.
Great thread, I'll be following regularly now.:thumbsup:
eD7hi5y.jpg

I've bumped into this thread a few times, enough to regret getting rid of my Yellow Rose 97 so I went looking around last weekend.
I had my doubts I'd find anything in this collectors climate and my searches dropped me into ebay territory where the prices were pretty much as I expected.
Then I did my due diligence and searched a few of our forum dealers and sure enough I found one at CK!
And it was the one I wanted.:)
Nice.
Great thread, I'll be following regularly now.:thumbsup:
eD7hi5y.jpg

Excellent! Personally, I found the full flat grind on the Tidioutes made for superior knives over the 97s with the Northfield trim and their saber grind.

I'm glad you found one at a dealer. In my eBay perusals, I've often been amused at what some folks are charging for some of these when they can still be found at dealers.

L lambertiana Thank you for sharing that old advert and beautiful Ulster! Though, not going to lie, I read "soft and flawy" and felt a little called out. LOL

Up next are a couple of Empires. I don't know a lot about this company - yet. More research is required.

I love that these feature some things that I haven't experienced yet on this pattern - lockback, rat tail bolsters, and barehead. One is in Ebony and the other appears to be a bit fancier with bone, more elaborate swedge, and what appears to be a bit more polish.

The Ebony is in better shape, still has the etch visible, and has no hint of any wobble. The Bone is a bit rougher, having had less care with sharpening, a word scratched into shield, and has a fair bit of wobble when open (another one that I hope to do some work on).

h8ejGxn.jpg

r2Qkjui.jpg

R9x1T3t.jpg

mgIt9bR.jpg

These are definitely some interesting beauties. That Ebony lockback draws the eye immediately for sure. I'll be interested to see what you do with these guys.

I picked up one of those S&M Coke Bottles in ATS-34 steel. A couple of folks had shown these off earlier in the thread and I figured if the opportunity presented itself that I would scoop one up as well.

I am pretty glad I did. I am not the biggest fan of the style of bone that S&M became known for so I wanted to at least get an example with good color and texture - this one didn't disappoint. It is a very well made knife - perfectly centered blade, excellent pull and a wonderful snap. I do appreciate that it is a full flat grind and that overall, it is thinner behind the edge than the Winchesters I have - still could use a bit of work though.

Personally, I think this is one of the better suited modern examples out there for everyday use - high quality stainless steel, full flat grind, and robust construction. I will look forward to putting it through its paces.

m9U4ukQ.jpg

I look forward to your findings Dylan, and as always, wish you a keeper.
Also, I've ordered (on a whim) an ebony Northfield 97, should be with me shortly.
Can't wait to share!

Well friends, I’ve finally received my Northfield 97. Hasn’t been with me for more than a day yet, but I am sincerely pleased with this (marked down) purchase. It is an “S” model and with that distinction, arrived with a few counter and handling marks. Not an issue whatsoever, other than flushing, lubing and working the blade open and shut for about an hour. Blade play or rap is non existent, although it is slightly off center at rest. Pull is now at about a 4-5 at the most, and it’s closing snap is very smooth. F/F is very good especially that challenging setting of it’s curvy cloud shield. This thread has definitely been my source towards ownership and I thank you Dylan and All the other contributors here. A beautiful knife that has a greenish hue and slight chatoyance to it’s ebony’s darkness.
5F18F124-4070-4C42-8A13-47183D911F2D.jpeg 92002787-4259-4EB0-A331-5C27E86C9971.jpeg

Well friends, I’ve finally received my Northfield 97. Hasn’t been with me for more than a day yet, but I am sincerely pleased with this (marked down) purchase. It is an “S” model and with that distinction, arrived with a few counter and handling marks. Not an issue whatsoever, other than flushing, lubing and working the blade open and shut for about an hour. Blade play or rap is non existent, although it is slightly off center at rest. Pull is now at about a 4-5 at the most, and it’s closing snap is very smooth. F/F is very good especially that challenging setting of it’s curvy cloud shield. This thread has definitely been my source towards ownership and I thank you Dylan and All the other contributors here. A beautiful knife that has a greenish hue and slight chatoyance to it’s ebony’s darkness.
View attachment 1521270 View attachment 1521271

A tremendous knife, and I appreciate you sharing pictures with us! A beautiful knife and I hope you’ll enjoy it!

A tremendous knife, and I appreciate you sharing pictures with us! A beautiful knife and I hope you’ll enjoy it!
Thank you Forrest!
I’m new on our board here and more than appreciate the passion and knowledge that evolves within this community. It’s my pleasure, and a fine way to reciprocate that said appreciation.
I really like this knife and I’m usually a “smalls” carrier these days. This though, reminds me of a somewhat wilder youth;) when I was always on, or with cars in all kinds of situations and circumstances. This one would have been quite handy.
I’ll carry it somewhat in my rotation and use it lightly. Admiring the overall look and feel as we speak.

Gus

Thread makes me curious how verdigris will develop and look in my 86 stag.

i got my texas rose 97 a couple weeks back. I like how inconsistent the dye is. Not wild about all the black specs but overall, i like the way it came out. Ive yet to put it to much use. I plan to... i just need more things to cut.

Some real beauties Dylan, Un-Chained and Lambertiana. I really like that Sword with the etch and the Empries. This Challenge is 5 3/8 closed and belonged to Tony Bose. It has the Daniel Boone etch. He was kind of enough to send me a bunch of pictures, which were taken by Kerry Hamptons, for my book.
2RGhBcG.jpg

Managed to snap up another odd-ball run!

F64-E0-AE7-0975-4119-A443-1-C317-A014-EFE.jpg

Still a little too light out to capture this African Blackwood properly, there are some beautiful brown streaks down “in” the darker wood. Saw this and couldn’t pass it up for the collection!! Only complaint is that I’d put the pull at around a 4, although still with decent snap in closing.

Back