The Quintessential Coke Bottle Thread (The Patterns, The History, The Experiences)

aerial-1c-1-jpg.1545733
Yikes... That lady is showing her ankles and arms. :eek:
Very cool pin-up girl knife. :cool::thumbsup:

Those are all just wonderful! I love the shield on the Challenge and the pinup on the Aerial is such an interesting touch - is that celluloid?
It is celluloid Dylan... one of the few remaining Aerial cells that haven't gassed off... (YET) :confused:. The guy that I bought it from said he had kept it in a large cabinet out of sunlight for 30 years so he took good care of it. I keep all my cell knives isolated from the others, but in open air, climate controlled in my basement (out of light) and it seems to work good for my cell knives.

I've had some GECs that were full of crud and some that weren't - I can't really understand the inconsistency. Fortunately, a good flushing is rather easy to do and it improves most, if not all, of my knives.

Forrest is likely one of the very few here who has more 97s than I do - I think he is good. :D

First of all, how dare you, sir. (gasp of feigned indignation) HOW DARE YOU.

LOL

Secondly, Tyson's post did remind me that I HAD been semi-looking for a second "clean" Alleghany Belle Riviere example since mine is the user of my 97 crew with...let's call it egregious patina at this point. So, I managed to snap one up this morning (disclosure: EvilBay), and will be eagerly awaiting it. My initial example is probably still one of the sharpest factory edge GECs I've received to date, but my patina has completely obscured what I think is one of the prettiest etches GEC has done, so I was on the lookout. I continue to enjoy this thread gaining more traction as folks discover the positives that this pattern provides.

veitsi_poika veitsi_poika Those are beautiful knives, and I admit a similar fondness for visibly pinned shields. Thanks for sharing.

@Mass1632 a particularly fine looking example of that Yellow Rose, I hope it serves you well!

Quiet Quiet
Nice Forrest :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
This is how I bumped into my Northfield “S” ebony variant. It can be evil, but sometimes we get very lucky:D:thumbsup::thumbsup: The pounce is key when spotted. I look forward as always to your thoughts upon it’s arrival:)

Quiet Quiet
Nice Forrest :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
This is how I bumped into my Northfield “S” ebony variant. It can be evil, but sometimes we get very lucky:D:thumbsup::thumbsup: The pounce is key when spotted. I look forward as always to your thoughts upon it’s arrival:)

You are not wrong! Also, I went back and looked at the pics of that Ebony again, and man, I do love those. Like you, I was fortunate to be able to get an Ebony that doesn't really have any streaking, leaving nothing but that inky darkness that works so well with that cloud shield. That is an excellent knife for sure. How has it been working out for you?

Quiet Quiet
I’ll tell ya, never though I’d be so attached to this number. Thinking it was a biggie, and usually carrying smalls, it’s really taken me in! I’m finding it will be carried for at least three of our seasons here in Canada. Fits in the coats perfectly, and the feel of these handles is just grand! There were maybe four that went up at the same time... I should’a grabbed another my friend. The tail pin area on the mark, is the only real flaw that’s visible. The only real imperfection that I can find. I’ve always admired this thread with all of your contributions and honesty, prompting my search. I’m very happy with my sometimes whimsical purchase practices;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
A couple of close-ups...
204AF111-36DF-4D54-BAB2-7157A9600918.jpeg 45312B62-1D88-40D8-BE5A-85C472CE8A82.jpeg

A little patience, a little bit of sniffing around, and a whole lot of digging - it can all be rewarded sometimes. I was successful in tracking down and acquiring one of the GEC 97s that was on my short list - the OKCA club knife (Jigged Bone with Beaver Shield). As of now, I only require one more from the "general" run (13 out of 14) and I still have zero of the special factory builds that little information can be had on.

The only one missing from the general run is the Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association. This club only had a handful of knives made so I know my chances are rather slim but the hunt continues, of course.

h2uFYqc.jpg

I also took the opportunity to take an updated group shot. It got me thinking again that I should probably find a couple of mint replacements for my handful of users but otherwise, I am pretty happy with my progress so far. It's always a great feeling when you land one of the hard ones.

lJlqrCP.jpg

Wait a minute... the shield’s upside downo_O:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Congrats my friend! A beauty of a score and then some as it’s another long stride towards that finale in completion. On this particular example, I really like the edge fade of colours and I’m always taken by that beaver shield. A great addition and awesome grouping there! Enjoy in the greatest of health!!

A little patience, a little bit of sniffing around, and a whole lot of digging - it can all be rewarded sometimes. I was successful in tracking down and acquiring one of the GEC 97s that was on my short list - the OKCA club knife (Jigged Bone with Beaver Shield). As of now, I only require one more from the "general" run (13 out of 14) and I still have zero of the special factory builds that little information can be had on.

The only one missing from the general run is the Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association. This club only had a handful of knives made so I know my chances are rather slim but the hunt continues, of course.

h2uFYqc.jpg

I also took the opportunity to take an updated group shot. It got me thinking again that I should probably find a couple of mint replacements for my handful of users but otherwise, I am pretty happy with my progress so far. It's always a great feeling when you land one of the hard ones.

lJlqrCP.jpg

An excellent score!! It's good to see an updated family shot as well. I should be receiving that mint replacement for my user today, so I really need to take an updated family photo myself. Now, if this rain would just calm down this week!

Wait a minute... the shield’s upside downo_O:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Congrats my friend! A beauty of a score and then some as it’s another long stride towards that finale in completion. On this particular example, I really like the edge fade of colours and I’m always taken by that beaver shield. A great addition and awesome grouping there! Enjoy in the greatest of health!!

Thank you! I don't think I noticed until yesterday that the beaver shield gets oriented differently on the OKCA club knives than the standard Beaver shield offerings. It makes sense, it's an easy way to set a club knife apart from what usually ends up being part of a larger general run.

An excellent score!! It's good to see an updated family shot as well. I should be receiving that mint replacement for my user today, so I really need to take an updated family photo myself. Now, if this rain would just calm down this week!

Thank you, Forrest. I will look forward to seeing your group when the rain abates (it's weird to say this but as an Oregonian, we could use some of that rain over here...).

Congrats, Dylan, and never give up! Just a month ago I added the last two to my Cuban collection that I had despaired of ever finding, and I got both within a week. Keep a diggin', son!

I got in an interesting knife today - it caught my eye due to the marriage of a favored blade to a frame that has captured my interest considerably.

I've noted before in this thread that there doesn't seem to be much evidence to suggest that the large "Coke Bottles" were made anywhere other than here in America but that isn't true for the more medium sized versions. Solingen and Sheffield made examples can be seen in collections and old catalog prints.

I scooped up an old Sheffield made example (J. Rodgers & Sons) - it's my first medium Coke Bottle and so far I am really liking the size and feel. It affirms my thoughts on the personal comfort of this frame (in this size) and I hope to be able to gather more examples in the future. This is a great size for everyday use and carry and I find it interesting that it isn't more popular.

Horn Synthetic covers, all steel construction, and a Lambsfoot blade. Blade has seen a grinder unfortunately but otherwise, this knife is in great shape with a delightful action to it. I hope to clean up the edge some and make it a serviceable cutting tool.

4Osad0o.jpg

2uvlAjx.jpg

It's interesting to note some of the size differences.

rZAwOcm.jpg

Slàinte!

2R0khJs.jpg

Last edited:
To your greatest health my friend... Enjoy !!
Lovely smooth and inky black rounded covers, wondering about any translucence that may lie there after all this time. Engraved blade it seems as well, with awesome stamping.... is it that sweet 4” ish size.... I’m somewhat envious, to say the least!!

To your greatest health my friend... Enjoy !!
Lovely smooth and inky black rounded covers, wondering about any translucence that may lie there after all this time. Engraved blade it seems as well, with awesome stamping.... is it that sweet 4” ish size.... I’m somewhat envious, to say the least!!

I had to edit my assessment of the knife. After some input and further examination, I think the covers are actually synthetic. It does not diminish the knife for me and it is also fun making these kinds of discoveries.

Regarding the size, it is the same size as my Waynorth Lambs - 3 7/8". That's a pretty perfect size, in my opinion.

XZ4P7TT.jpg

I see! Lovely just the same !!
I just lurve immersing myself as a detective in the aspect of a knife’s build and long historical adventures as well, through markings and the like.... It also looks very well kept as a workhorse!!

** edit: the scale material somewhat reminds me of bake-o-lite.

Last edited:
Back