The Quintessential Coke Bottle Thread (The Patterns, The History, The Experiences)

I have been carrying a #97 every day myself, and have found it more than enough knife for every use I've had. Of course, I haven't been doing any gardening or home renovation, but it's good to know these knives could handle those duties! :D

I may have picked up one or two more for my collection due to this thread.

Maybe its the angle of the video here, but this looks so scary! :eek: It looks like you are pushing on the sharpened edge to open it past half stop!

it always worries me a little to see this. Mind you, I have dissected cadavers in anatomy lab so it takes quite a bit to turn my stomach. @waynorth once explained to me the nuances of opening a knife that way during breakfast at one of the rendezvous. I suppose folks have developed or toughened the pads of their thumbs more.

Last edited:
it always worries me a little to see this. Mind you, I have dissected cadavers in anatomy lab so it takes quite a bit to turn my stomach. @waynorth once explained to me the nuances of opening a knife that way during breakfast at one of the rendezvous. I suppose folks have developed or toughed the pads of their thumbs more.
Ewwwwwwwwwww. :eek: Lol And thanks alot, now Im picturing the OP going through a Rocky style montage of toughening his thumb up now. Punching slabs of beef, with his thumbs. Doing thumb push ups. Playing the Rocky theme song, using just thumbs to play the instruments. Congrats on your hard work OP, its really payed off and now you have thumbs so tough and buff that they laugh at puny knives. Lol :D:cool:

Ewwwwwwwwwww. :eek: Lol And thanks alot, now Im picturing the OP going through a Rocky style montage of toughening his thumb up now. Punching slabs of beef, with his thumbs. Doing thumb push ups. Playing the Rocky theme song, using just thumbs to play the instruments. Congrats on your hard work OP, its really payed off and now you have thumbs so tough and buff that they laugh at puny knives. Lol :D:cool:

just look at @knifeswapper 's videos! almost every one Mike opens his knives that way!

Day 12 & 13 (nearly two weeks into this experience):

I am preparing a bit of research I've been doing on this pattern that I'll post sometime later.

In the meantime, I'm continuing to use this knife anytime I can. It is terrifically versatile and useful, despite its larger size. I made burgers on the grill tonight and I used the blade to slice up the fixings (tomato and cucumber are from my garden) - I love how efficient the blade length is.

ZHtra1N.jpg

hoK3ik1.jpg

Day 12 & 13 (nearly two weeks into this experience):

I am preparing a bit of research I've been doing on this pattern that I'll post sometime later.

In the meantime, I'm continuing to use this knife anytime I can. It is terrifically versatile and useful, despite its larger size. I made burgers on the grill tonight and I used the blade to slice up the fixings (tomato and cucumber are from my garden) - I love how efficient the blade length is.

ZHtra1N.jpg

hoK3ik1.jpg
I know that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but to me your pictures of your 97 always show that it is a beautiful knife Dylan . Keep carrying it in good health my friend .

Harry

I've been following this thread with interest, partly because I think that the 97's are a beautiful knife to look at - although I'm resisting purchasing due to my self-imposed size limit.

Must...resist...big...honkin'...knives.

What makes it hard to resist, and another reason to follow is Dylan's Pàdruig Pàdruig photo skills! I leave this thread thinking I just might wanna reconsider my knife decision - and for some reason maybe breaking out some Lagavulin, Laphroaig, or maybe a Harpoon IPA. :D

My maroon micarta came in a few days ago. Bought as a direct result of this thread. Absolutely zero regrets. It’s gorgeous and, despite its size, carries quite well. The spring tension on my example is a 5 if a typical SAK is a 6, with excellent snap, walk & talk. Also, this is far and away the sharpest factory edge I’ve ever received on a GEC.

The 97 is a total sleeper in my opinion. I’m glad they’re still on the shelves because I want to snag an ebony next. I will not post any pics to this thread so as not to muddy the OP (plus my pics are terrible), but my goodness it’s a pretty knife.

Day #9 continued:

Tomorrow sees me doing my joyous civic duty and attending grand jury. During orientation the other week, we were told to bring some reading material as there is always "down time" between hearing cases. I get to do this every Wednesday until the end of next month.

The 97 will be in my pocket and I'll be bringing along a couple of classics that I'm in the middle of reading again.

rqcU8kO.jpg
Suggestion: Leave the 97 locked up in your vehicle or at home when you go in for Grand Jury duty.
Security with their walk through metal detector won't let you take it to the courtroom, conference room, or whatever that the case(s) are being heard. They may confiscate it, and not give it back at the end of the day.
(It would not surprise me in the least of one of the security who confiscated it drooped it into his pocket, after you are out of sight.)

Anyone know what the yellow rose 97 has for a pull strength? I can live with a 5-6, but a 4 would be a no go for me.

I know that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but to me your pictures of your 97 always show that it is a beautiful knife Dylan . Keep carrying it in good health my friend .

Harry

Thank you very much, Harry.

I've been following this thread with interest, partly because I think that the 97's are a beautiful knife to look at - although I'm resisting purchasing due to my self-imposed size limit.

Must...resist...big...honkin'...knives.

What makes it hard to resist, and another reason to follow is Dylan's Pàdruig Pàdruig photo skills! I leave this thread thinking I just might wanna reconsider my knife decision - and for some reason maybe breaking out some Lagavulin, Laphroaig, or maybe a Harpoon IPA. :D

Thank you for the kind words, my friend. It has been an immense pleasure sharing my experiences thus far - at least with those who are inclined to read. I can understand the size of the knife being a significant deterrent - I remember that being the case when these were first produced but like others have said, it carries smaller than it looks. Additionally, once the knife has been flushed and broken in, it is a real pleasure.

My maroon micarta came in a few days ago. Bought as a direct result of this thread. Absolutely zero regrets. It’s gorgeous and, despite its size, carries quite well. The spring tension on my example is a 5 if a typical SAK is a 6, with excellent snap, walk & talk. Also, this is far and away the sharpest factory edge I’ve ever received on a GEC.

The 97 is a total sleeper in my opinion. I’m glad they’re still on the shelves because I want to snag an ebony next. I will not post any pics to this thread so as not to muddy the OP (plus my pics are terrible), but my goodness it’s a pretty knife.

I am thrilled that these can still be found on shelves. It is one of the few GEC patterns where one has the luxury of being able to satisfy their curiosity without having to scramble for fear of missing out. If I remember correctly, the #97 run was particularly large - being an open order, there were a lot of pieces ordered by dealers. That is really good for those of us who are quite late to the party.

Please don't be shy about posting pics here - one of the purposes of this thread is to provide a place for fellow enthusiasts to share their experiences with this pattern.

Suggestion: Leave the 97 locked up in your vehicle or at home when you go in for Grand Jury duty.
Security with their walk through metal detector won't let you take it to the courtroom, conference room, or whatever that the case(s) are being heard. They may confiscate it, and not give it back at the end of the day.
(It would not surprise me in the least of one of the security who confiscated it drooped it into his pocket, after you are out of sight.)

I appreciate the words of caution. Interestingly enough, I live in a pretty rural county and COVID has everything a bit out of sorts. When I first reported for Grand Jury selection, I emptied my pockets of all bladed instruments, expecting to have to go through a metal detector or at least be searched/wanded. I was rather surprised when I was simply directed to sit in the court room and wait for the judge... After I was "fortunate" enough to be selected as a juror, we've been meeting once a week and will continue to do so until our two month term of service is over. We've been convening in an improvised conference room for the sake of maintaining some level of distancing - no bother about pocket knives at all.

Anyone know what the yellow rose 97 has for a pull strength? I can live with a 5-6, but a 4 would be a no go for me.

I can't help you with that specific one - yet... Before this experiment is over, I will have acquired every single 97 variant except for 2 or 3 hard to get ones that I will continue to hunt down. However, that said, I'll see if I can't assist you a bit in your decision:

I, personally, think it is difficult to compare the #97 to a SAK - for a couple of reasons. 1.) The 97 has a half stop where the SAK does not and 2.) The 97 is considerably larger than the SAK - which I think factors into the "feel" of things. After flushing my 97 and breaking it in with use and such, I would say that in terms of how it compares to a SAK, they are close - with the SAK being a touch heavier (not worth a full point difference, mind you - they are really close). However, the 97 is silky smooth and snaps with good authority into the open and closed positions - it is a satisfaction that I cannot get with a SAK, if I am being honest with myself.

Ultimately though, it never hurts to try and now is a better time than any before they become scarce and the prices subsequently inflated.

I have one, and the pull is around the same as on my other #97s. As for whether it's a five or a four, I can't give you an estimation on that, since our views on what constitutes those ranges might differ. It's a lighter pull, like other #97s, but has good snap on both opening and closing. It's a beautiful knife for sure, and I'd recommend it.

I can't help you with that specific one - yet... Before this experiment is over, I will have acquired every single 97 variant except for 2 or 3 hard to get ones that I will continue to hunt down. However, that said, I'll see if I can't assist you a bit in your decision:

I, personally, think it is difficult to compare the #97 to a SAK - for a couple of reasons. 1.) The 97 has a half stop where the SAK does not and 2.) The 97 is considerably larger than the SAK - which I think factors into the "feel" of things. After flushing my 97 and breaking it in with use and such, I would say that in terms of how it compares to a SAK, they are close - with the SAK being a touch heavier (not worth a full point difference, mind you - they are really close). However, the 97 is silky smooth and snaps with good authority into the open and closed positions - it is a satisfaction that I cannot get with a SAK, if I am being honest with myself.

Ultimately though, it never hurts to try and now is a better time than any before they become scarce and the prices subsequently inflated.

This is good advice. I am glad I made the move on multiple SFOs when I did, because secondary prices on those are climbing. On the other hand, it seems like GEC definitely was proud of this pattern, since they made several for various collector's clubs, groups, and seller SFOs. What's more, GEC only shows one SFO on their page for this pattern. The rest I discovered through searching around. I am glad you love this pattern as much as I do. I've been continuing to carry mine as previously stated. It pairs quite well with smaller knives, as well as modern knives. A touch of class, if you will.

If I am doing my math correctly, today marks Day #16 - over two weeks since I started this experiment. Some folks do a 30 Day Challenge and this might qualify as such but I've not seen it as a challenge as of yet since it has been rather enjoyable.

I wanted to mark the 2 week "milestone" by sharing some of the fruits of my research regarding the history of this pattern. As I am still compiling everything into what I hope will be a cohesive and informative post, I will leave the pic below and will hopefully have a more thorough post to share later today.

This pic was taken after I prepared a most excellent salad and grilled a sizable (and rather delicious) filet of salmon for our family dinner last night. I capped it off with a rather exquisite Lowland Single Malt and a fine Maduro smoke. As has been proven thus far, the Allegheny was more than sufficient for the tasks.

oPgOQxx.jpg

This is good advice. I am glad I made the move on multiple SFOs when I did, because secondary prices on those are climbing. On the other hand, it seems like GEC definitely was proud of this pattern, since they made several for various collector's clubs, groups, and seller SFOs. What's more, GEC only shows one SFO on their page for this pattern. The rest I discovered through searching around. I am glad you love this pattern as much as I do. I've been continuing to carry mine as previously stated. It pairs quite well with smaller knives, as well as modern knives. A touch of class, if you will.

It is a very old pattern and the more I dig into it, the more I realize that GEC knew what they were doing by making this an open order. Sure, there are knives sitting on shelves but the SFOs are all bought up, there were at least four different club knives (maybe a fifth but I need to confirm it), three different SFOs, and at least one Special Factory Assembly - this was a knife that everyone seemed to want a piece of.

I've been enjoying the heck out of it so far and I am beyond relieved that I gave it a second go and actually put it to use to determine whether I might like it or not.

Mine helped make the fixin's for tomato sauce tonight, didn't get a shot of the sausages and turkey it cut up, but it did very well as a prep knife...

AGljPeu.jpg

As it happens, my #97 saw dinner prep and eating duty tonight as well!!! Helped me trim these steaks and chop up some veggies for a salad:

20-CD1-C75-348-C-49-A2-BF2-B-7-A9807-F3-C4-DE.jpg

Sorry, no pics of the meal, the wife and I were famished and fell to as soon as they were off the grill!!

Back