The Quintessential Coke Bottle Thread (The Patterns, The History, The Experiences)

Looks like you’ve become quite fond of the big boys! :cool: Great collection Dylan! :D :thumbsup:

Thank you, Ron! I still contend that it carries smaller than its size belies - had GEC chosen to reproduce some of the larger examples of the pattern, I may be singing a different tune (with regards to carry, that is).

It's an attractive frame and very, very easy on the hands - the one I got in Stag is particularly a marvel.

Thank you, Ron! I still contend that it carries smaller than its size belies - had GEC chosen to reproduce some of the larger examples of the pattern, I may be singing a different tune (with regards to carry, that is).

It's an attractive frame and very, very easy on the hands - the one I got in Stag is particularly a marvel.
I was noticing that Stag in your photos Dylan! :cool: It is definitely a prime example! Heck, they’re all beautiful knives! :) :thumbsup:

I was noticing that Stag in your photos Dylan! :cool: It is definitely a prime example! Heck, they’re all beautiful knives! :) :thumbsup:

I am rather pleased with the one I was able to acquire. It has the groovy characteristics that I've come to really appreciate and the mark side in particular has such wonderful depth of color. I would say the sides are reasonably well matched in both character and in thickness which I suspect was a little more difficult to achieve with these larger frames.

Another point of observation, my Stag has the best and firmest pull out of the entire lot so far. Where most are in between the 4 and 5 ratings - I would put this one around a 6 - 6.5 range. Really a delightful knife and with the thicker Stag, it feels amazing in hand - very, very pleased with this one.

VaUct6y.jpg

6nh8kj9.jpg

cczWkuj.jpg

Glamor shot!

MD7k20i.jpg

I am rather pleased with the one I was able to acquire. It has the groovy characteristics that I've come to really appreciate and the mark side in particular has such wonderful depth of color. I would say the sides are reasonably well matched in both character and in thickness which I suspect was a little more difficult to achieve with these larger frames.

Another point of observation, my Stag has the best and firmest pull out of the entire lot so far. Where most are in between the 4 and 5 ratings - I would put this one around a 6 - 6.5 range. Really a delightful knife and with the thicker Stag, it feels amazing in hand - very, very pleased with this one.

VaUct6y.jpg

6nh8kj9.jpg

cczWkuj.jpg

Glamor shot!

MD7k20i.jpg
It looks like it could be 100 years old Dylan! Great knife and photos buddy! :) :thumbsup:

VaUct6y.jpg

6nh8kj9.jpg

cczWkuj.jpg

Glamor shot!

MD7k20i.jpg

That knife alone could make me break down and buy one, if I could find it. Even with the double pulls, that is a great looking knife. Most excellent... for some reason, I thought the Northfields had a sort of saber grind... is that not correct? I want a flat grind on it, if I decide to get one..

It looks like it could be 100 years old Dylan! Great knife and photos buddy! :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Ron!

That knife alone could make me break down and buy one, if I could find it. Even with the double pulls, that is a great looking knife. Most excellent... for some reason, I thought the Northfields had a sort of saber grind... is that not correct? I want a flat grind on it, if I decide to get one..

You would be correct, the Northfields do have a saber ground blade - I just realized my picture above failed to capture that.

I am a bit curious about the saber grind - it is a rather traditional element of the pattern and due to it being a large folding hunter, I can understand where it would be a feature that is desirable. One doesn't need a full flat ground blade for skinning or any other sort of camping activity. Only when it comes to actual food prep and finer work in general does a saber grind become far less efficient. Since I have primarily used my Tidioute for my everyday tasks (food prep and other mundane activities), I do struggle to see how a saber grind will serve me just as well.

I do intend to get a duplicate of one of mine in Northfield trim so that I can carry out another month long exercise - it will be interesting to truly compare the two.

Is that an Allegheny in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

These are big knives, for sure. GEC could have gone bigger though and I have to wonder at their reasoning. Most of the original catalog prints and vintage listings that have dimensions listed show a large Coke Bottle to be in the 5" to 5 1/4" range. Now I have seen a few that were a bit shorter and it makes me curious which ones GEC based their model on - I also wonder if them keeping the pattern shorter was an attempt to try and keep it within somewhat of a pocket-friendly range.

This big Continental has a lot of subtleties that I am still discovering. For instance, the end caps are slimmer than the bolsters - which gives the overall knife a very subtle tapered appearance. Overall though, for being such a large knife, I appreciate how slim they are - makes carry an easier affair.

fmc48ip.jpg

I have this Arkansas Pig Sticker Battle Axe Brand that I bought while the 97s were in production to see if I liked the pattern. I don’t think I like the pattern and this knife is much too fancy for its stated purpose! It’s 4.9 inches.

GSni7Xf.jpg
GvreBom.jpg

Last edited:
I have this Arkansas Pig Sticker Battle Axe Brand that I bought while the 97s were in production to see if I liked the pattern. I don’t think I like the pattern and this knife is much too fancy for its stated purpose! It’s 4.9 inches.

GSni7Xf.jpg

It looks like a fine knife, despite the shield and etch being slightly off-putting, and it is just a touch larger than the #97. I've seen one or two of those pop up in my general searches, thinking I might give one a try - Solingen made, if I recall correctly.

Something that I find interesting is that historically speaking, the large coke bottle pattern is a distinctly American pattern. Aside from a random medium coke bottle or "stabber jack", I've been unable to find any reference or mention of the large folding hunters (swell center frames) in any of the old European catalogs that I have come across.

That being the case, it would stand to reason that it became a pattern of some popularity in the later 19th century when the American cutlery industry began to pick up some steam. It seems to continue to be offered into the early 20th century and then it kind of falls away - only to be brought back in later decades as collectibles or simply a renewed interest.

I was hoping to secure a second Waynorth 97 to implement as a user to continue my exercise but I don't know if that is going to happen quite yet.

I don't really want to wait for that option to come through or not so I am going to go with a less risky venture and choose the Northfield Ebony as my regular carry for awhile. As has been noted before, the Northfield carries some distinct differences versus the Tidioute - its saber grind and double pulls give it a striking look and will undoubtedly alter its functionality.

The example I have is exquisite. The Ebony is inky black and lustrous - in certain lighting, you can even see a bit of what I might even consider chatoyance - truly a beautiful piece of wood. The fit and finish is impeccable and right out of the tube, the action is pretty superb - almost as good as my Stag and I would rate the pull to be around a 6. Very satisfying walk-n-talk and a firmer pull makes this a pretty desirable working knife.

I gave it a good flush and oiling and now it is buttery smooth and ready for the pocket. Like with any knife I use with some regularity, I enjoy the metamorphosis quite a bit - the bolsters soften and dull, the covers mellow out and lighten or darken (depending on the material), the blade and spring darken with patina and tell the stories of its journey. This is going to be fun, though I am a bit nervous on how it will perform with its differing geometry.

Changing of the guard, so to speak:

Yyb6w5D.jpg

eOq95Zo.jpg

It hasn't cut anything yet but it has been celebrated by a good dram and a smoke - I think we'll get along just fine.

0MdnuxN.jpg

This thread was a good read, thanks. I had bought a couple during the run, but both were Northfields and had the beefier blade grind. I didn't hate the double nail nick and didn't mind the pulls, but I just couldn't abide the grinds. Ended up moving them down the road. I always meant to try out a Tidioute and this thread has inspired me to finally scoop one the variations still out there. My dealer of choice thanks you!

I have also been enjoying this thread, and it prompted me today to purchase a #97 Tidioute in maroon linen micarta. Happened to have some points at DLT Trading I didn't know I had so I shaved $19 off retail so am happy about that. I have one GEC 97, the AAPK forum 2019 knife, and it is a beauty, but I don't want to carry it. Even though it's a Tidioute, it is pretty fancy with the saber grind, lined bolsters, chestnut worm groove bone handles, etching on the blade for AAPK etc. It seemed too big when I first got it, but after handling it a few times I really like it.

But this thread prompted me to get a model to carry, and I am looking forward to it. I really couldn't warm up to any folder 4" and over up until about the last two years, but the big buys are more appealing to me now, not sure why. So next week some time I will have a new 97 to carry and see how it performs.

Padruig does a really nice job of reporting on the knife!

Rockcutter

Whoops, need to correct already! My AAPK GEC #97 is a Northfield UN-X-LD not a Tidioute as stated in previous post.

BTW that Coffee one is the tops. Didn't even know about those. Used to have one of the GEC #36 sunfish EZ opens in that finish. I was a fool to trade it!

I am not at all a fan of acrylic cover materials - they feel cheap and plastic-like and they mar very easily. That said, the coffee house stuff is pretty sweet - I love the translucence and depth. Coupled with a guitar shield, it's pretty rockin'. I will never use this one - but it is going look awesome in my display case.

I've had a pretty busy day, with some choring to do after work. I finally got a chance to give this Ebony the opportunity to cut something.

An apple is always a good test for a knife's slicing abilities. I wasn't expecting a whole lot but I was surprised at how well this blade did with its saber grind - not as efficient as a FFG but still plenty effective. It did not act as a wedge like I expected - instead, it did what it was supposed to and cut thoroughly.

More testing to be done for sure but we are off to a good start.

gZJ2GEo.jpg

W9eatlZ.jpg

Time for a dram and a stick.

OGQNDJ7.jpg

VaUct6y.jpg

6nh8kj9.jpg

cczWkuj.jpg

Glamor shot!

MD7k20i.jpg
That is a Real Beauty Dylan . If you ever want to trade it for an old Colonial Barlow that is in real good shape even up ,, just let me know . :):):)

Harry

That is a Real Beauty Dylan . If you ever want to trade it for an old Colonial Barlow that is in real good shape even up ,, just let me know . :):):)

Harry

Thank you, Harry - I'll certainly keep that in mind.

Many, many thanks to Duane (@sitflyer) for sending this one home - it is now a treasured part of my collection.

2ztPhJt.jpg

Pursuing this collection has led to a lot of firsts for me. Not only is this the first time that I've sought out an entire lineup but it is also a first in terms of some of the cover materials that I've found myself with. I don't ordinarily seek out the Texas Rose or Beaver Tail variants nor do I usually find myself looking for SFAs - the latter, I am still not certain what purpose or significance these sorts of versions have (other than being limited, of course).

(My daughter thinks the yellow and red makes a new "ketchup and mustard" pair).

62Qbg6l.jpg

Back