The Reate Epoch

So I don't see any threads on this new addition to Reate's lineup, the Epoch.

I figured I'd start things off with my own thoughts and impressions but first- pics.

SZx10dv.jpg

H4z9cfm.jpg

afImd3L.jpg

Came in the Reate pouch will all the goodies- pouch, cloth, spare hardware bits.

The action is smooth, there's no blade play, perfect blade centering- all things we've come to expect from Reate.

Super snappy flipping action and, initially, the blade was hesitant to fall shut but after a couple days of flipping it, it seems to be breaking in very well. There's a multi-row caged ceramic (?) bearing system running on polished stainless steel washers that fit into a milled cutout in the scales, resulting in a buttery smooth action.

The ceramic detent ball makes for a great detent and the Todd Begg-style ball bearing in the pocket clip makes it very comfortable to carry. The polished mokuti inlay is gorgeous.

I only have a couple of complaints so far.

1- Not all of the screws in the scales came tightened down. 2 of the screws going into the backspacer were loose enough for me to actually spin out with my finger, because they had backed almost entirely. Not a huge deal because I was able to grab a torx bit and fix it up in a second, but it's worth mentioning.

2- I've had cheaper production knives come sharper than this one. It's not dull by any means, but it's definitely not "scary sharp," and I usually prefer to carry something sharper than this. Being said, it's CTS-204P, so whatever edge it does have- it's gonna hold on to for a long time to come.

All in all, I'm very impressed by the Epoch and although the price is steep- I paid $425 at Blade HQ- I think it's worth every penny.

That is a beauty, how's it carry in the pocket? I'm thinking of getting my first Reate soon.

It carries a little higher than I'm used to- I typically prefer deep carry clips, but I'm really pleased with the bearing in the pocket clip. Super smooth, doesn't snag. It's not an incredibly heavy knife either so it's fairly comfortable

Cool pics, really interested in this knife, are the inside of the handle scales milled out? (I assume they are, like on other Reate knives, but I haven't seen definitively anywhere) Thanks!

I am starting to look at the new epoch, the design is really appealing to me
At the moment my favorite flipper is my ZT0801
Can anyone make a comparison between the new epoch and the ZT0801?
Pictures and feelings NHS on the flipping action are warmly welcomed

I am starting to look at the new epoch, the design is really appealing to me
At the moment my favorite flipper is my ZT0801
Can anyone make a comparison between the new epoch and the ZT0801?
Pictures and feelings NHS on the flipping action are warmly welcomed

I don't think Reate can make a bad flipper. :)
I have no experience with the Epoch but firsthand can say the Hills, Horizon C and D are all dialed-in perfectly. I watched a couple vids of the Epoch and it looks like a great flipper too.

I can add that my Reate Torrent is fabulously smooth as well. Great knives and am thinking of getting the Epoch also.

My one complaint about this knife (and it applies to many production knives) is that I wish the jimping was more functional/aggressive on the top of the blade and backspacer. Having said that, it is still a great knife and I plan to pick one up after handling one yesterday.

I just picked up an all-black Epoch and it is a gem. They've managed to outdo the Horizon Ti (D) in my opinion. This is such a classy, ergonomic knife. The blade flies open and falls shut with the slightest of coaxing. Definitely a keeper, although I'm starting to think I prefer the look of raw titanium over the all-black. Still a gorgeous knife though!

As was asked above, I have both a ZT 0801 and the Epoch. They are actually quite similar in overall shape and size. As much as I like the 0801, the Epoch is several steps above. While the ZT is fairly chunky, the Epoch is nicely contoured/chamfered, so it feels locked into your hand better. The action is top notch, and bests the ZT there as well. But, the 0801 has been around for quite a few years, and is less than half the cost of the Reate.

Back