The REK Knives Random Talk & NHL Network ... Lace 'em up

Hey Coleman, on the subject of small pocket fixed blades like we discussed the other day, here's a proto that Jerry Halfrich sent me years ago, (leather by Paul Long), as a thank you for helping him with his "Rounder" pattern which became pretty popular. I think he ended up calling this a "Straight Little Rounder". Not sure if he made others...I'm assuming he probably did.

Cutting edge is just at 2.5"

IMG-1346.jpgHalfrich SLR 3.jpgHalfrich SLR.jpg

We got lucky so far, Josh. Lightning and thunder, some rain...winds not too bad. A couple years back I had some big limbs off one of my Bradford pears that came pretty close to the house. We're surrounded by trees too. I'll find a couple pix in a minute...

Are you going to get that limb cut?

Hey Coleman, on the subject of small pocket fixed blades like we discussed the other day, here's a proto that Jerry Halfrich sent me years ago, (leather by Paul Long), as a thank you for helping him with his "Rounder" pattern which became pretty popular. I think he ended up calling this a "Straight Little Rounder". Not sure if he made others...I'm assuming he probably did.

Cutting edge is just at 2.5"

View attachment 2279132View attachment 2279133View attachment 2279134

In keeping with the today’s theme…SCORE!!

That’s a beautiful knife. Just excellent.
Sheath is nice too.

Maybe they'll prescribe beer goggles...

Good luck, Josh.
I got something better then beer goggles. Two injections on my left eye and my pee is nuclear green from the dye they put in my bloodstream. I’m the bionic beer goggle man. (It’s not fun to get shots in your eye. ) I’m typing my speak to text so hoper this turns out lol I can’t see very good .

This is another small fixed blade from Jerry Halfrich...this one is 3" from tip to plunge line...but features more real estate on the handle in comparison to the Straight Little Rounder, (SLR), I shared yesterday. Makes a big difference in hand. (Also came with a Paul Long sheath...)

The SLR is comfortable, whereas this one fits the hand like it was sculpted for it. The finger grooves allow choking up for fine work, or gripping further back.

Admiring Josh's work has prompted me to pull out and look at some of the smaller fixed blades I've acquired over the years.

Scan_252.jpg

Lastly, here's a small Scandi in D2 from Charles May:

May Scandi.jpg

It's kind of cool how much knife can be packed into a relatively small package.

By the way, is my Ember ready yet? 🤣 🍻

REK Knives REK Knives

Josh, what are you doing (or have you done) about that big hunk o' tree hanging over the house?

Nathan texted me this morning and said they lost power for about 5 or 6 hours last night and there was a tornado in his area. He has a generator fortunately.

They sheltered in the basement for a while. Lot of big limbs down, but no trees down or hitting his house.

Okay...one last one because Rob Simonich was a dear friend who will be gone 20 years in a few months.

We designed this together and called it the "Talisman" since he built it and sent it to me while my wife and I were waiting for a hurricane to hit the barrier island we lived on outside of Miami back in the late 90's.

2.5" tip to plunge line.

Talisman.jpg

Thanks for letting me share, Josh.

REK Knives REK Knives

Josh, what are you doing (or have you done) about that big hunk o' tree hanging over the house?

Nathan texted me this morning and said they lost power for about 5 or 6 hours last night and there was a tornado in his area. He has a generator fortunately.

They sheltered in the basement for a while. Lot of big limbs down, but no trees down or hitting his house.
An F1 touched down briefly about an hour from us this morning. Very rare in New England. Stay safe all!

Since this thread was started for talking "shit"...name this poop I just found on the driveway when I came out of the woods. Crushed gravel, note the hair, shape and texture.

IMG-1349.jpg

Back