The Road To Fiddleback Friday: How The Knives Are Made (Photo Heavy)

Mistwalker

Gold Member
I have been following the work of Andy and the crew at Fiddleback Forge for several years now. I always enjoy talking to the guys and seeing their wares at Blade. I own Fiddleback knives that I carry regularly in the field in my work, and I have put several through some pretty hard paces over the last six years or so. I think the knives are wonderfully done and very well made, but I have also always really like the feeling of the energy, what I refer to as the soul or spirit of these knives. When you look at them, feel them, and then use them long term, it is clear the knives are crafted by someone who really loves what they do, and who really cares about the tools they produce.

I have been wanting to stop in the shop, and see the work in progress for several years now, but have never really had the time, and I have always hated the idea of imposing. However recently, while working in the general area I was given the opportunity to stop in and attempt to capture the process in images. I didn't stop anyone to ask questions, I understand the process that goes into making knives. I wanted to maintain a level of unobtrusiveness and capture things as they happened, the way they normally flow.

The following is a series of images that tell the story of the weekly road to the Friday sales posts in the Fiddleback Forge sub-forum. It is a series of photos that illustrates the effort, level of craftsmanship, and love for the craft that goes into the knives that are handcrafted by Andy Roy and his team at Fiddleback Forge. I hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I enjoyed taking and going through them.

Some things to note here are; the absence of automated machinery, it's very hands on. Also, the protective gear being worn and the attention to detail that is paid. As well as the temperature conditions at times. You will notice a space heater in use even while a lot of physical exertion is being expended, and if you look close you will see ice building up on the inside of a face shield. As I said, this is a very dedicated group of individuals who work very hard performing a job they love dearly, into order to produce highly functional works of art.

The shop entrance lets you know where you are.

FT6-vi.jpg

FT8-vi.jpg

Since by most accounts a knife is defined as a sharpened piece of steel with a handle, obviously the first step is to shape the steel. This process begins with tracing patterns of blade profiles onto dykem coated steel stock.

FT11-vi.jpg

Those are then cut into individual pieces, and the knife blanks profiled out on a belt grinder.

FT12-vi.jpg

FT16-vi.jpg

FT18-vi.jpg

Once shaped the the blanks are scribed, and then the holes are drilled for the pins and bullseye.

FT19-vi.jpg

FT21-vi.jpg

As you can see, the dykem is also applied the the blade end of the blank on the opposite for the grinding of the primary bevels. The the tangs are tapered and the primary bevels ground. Watching Andy grind the bevels was something to see. The man is very talented.

FT23-vi.jpg

FT24-vi.jpg

FT25-vi.jpg

FT29-vi.jpg

FT31-vi.jpg

Next, the shaped blanks go into the oven for heat treatment, then the quench, and afterward allowed to cool.

FT33-vi.jpg

FT34-vi.jpg

FT37-vi.jpg

The heat treated blanks are then scribed for grinding, and then they are cleaned up with the grinds being taken to the next stage.

FT38A-vi.jpg

FT38B-vi.jpg

FT39-vi.jpg

FT41a-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Then the handle materials are chosen, epoxied together, and placed with the blanks.

FT42-vi.jpg

FT49-vi.jpg

After this the handle scales are drilled for pinning and rough shaped. Then the surfaces are cleaned, the scales are epoxied and pinned to the blanks, and clamped for drying.

FT50a-vi.jpg

FT50b-vi.jpg

FT53-vi.jpg

FT54-vi.jpg

FT55-vi.jpg

Now you can see the knife starting to take shape.

FT56-vi.jpg

FT57-vi.jpg

Here is where Andy works his magic again, shaping those sublime handle contours.

FT59-vi.jpg

FT61-vi.jpg

FT62-vi.jpg

Then the fine finish sanding is done.

FT68-vi.jpg

FT72-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Now they go to engraving and a cleaning. You see them starting to come to life now, and ready for Andy to do the final grind.

FT75-vi.jpg

FT77-vi.jpg

FT78-vi.jpg

FT81-vi.jpg

FT83-vi.jpg

FT84-vi.jpg

Then after a final cleaning and oiling of the handles, the knives are finished.

FT89-vi.jpg

FT91-vi.jpg

Now they are photographed, and posted in the Fiddleback Friday post we see here each week.

FT94-vi.jpg

FT95-vi.jpg

FT96-vi.jpg

FT99-vi.jpg

FT100-vi.jpg

FT101-vi.jpg

FT103-vi.jpg

FT106-vi.jpg

FT108-vi.jpg

FT116-vi.jpg

FT120-vi.jpg

A few days later, at least for those of us here in the continental U.S., we get our neatly wrapped brown paper packages of awesomeness.

FT124-vi.jpg

Last edited:
That must have taken you some time to put together, nice job man :thumbup:

It's really nice to see how my most coveted items on the planet are born, Andy must be proud.

Video next time?
pokingwithsticksmileyem.gif
;)

Just a few questions:

What's the apparatus in the right upper corner in this pic?

FT53_zps54455cee.jpg

Is this a buckeye-burl Hiking Buddy with blue liners at the top?

FT101_zpsa5aeb3f4.jpg

What's he doing here?

FT86_zpsa1c93017.jpg

Great Friday Post.
This is really throwing some chum out in the water:)

That must have taken you some time to put together, nice job man :thumbup:

It's really nice to see how my most coveted items on the planet are born, Andy must be proud.

Video next time?
pokingwithsticksmileyem.gif
;)

Just a few questions:

What's the apparatus in the right upper corner in this pic?

FT53_zps54455cee.jpg

Is this a buckeye-burl Hiking Buddy with blue liners at the top?

FT101_zpsa5aeb3f4.jpg

What's he doing here?

FT86_zpsa1c93017.jpg

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed the post. Lol, I am a photographer, not a videographer :) I thought it was the base for a cordless phone, but I could be wrong. It may be buckeye burl, not sure. He is blowing it off with an air line I believe.

Sorry, had to edit...all the photos didn't show up when I first read and quoted it...

I'm speachless here. You even made this dirty old shop look good. I wish we had the photo skills here to figure out how to do this stuff. Great stuff Mist. Thank you.

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed the post. Lol, I am a photographer, not a videographer :) I thought it was the base for a cordless phone, but I could be wrong. It may be buckeye burl, not sure. He is blowing it off with an air line I believe.

Sorry, had to edit...all the photos didn't show up when I first read and quoted it...

Just kidding man, although it did feel a bit like watching a documentary when going through your post :thumbup:

lol, I thought it might be some fancy analysing thingie, I was hoping it wasn't a phone :rolleyes:

Blowing it off make sense, another scandi buckeye burl HB doesn't, lol

& no worries, I actually forgot to include the second pic initially so I had to edit my post, my bad.

Thanks again!

I'm speachless here. You even made this dirty old shop look good. I wish we had the photo skills here to figure out how to do this stuff. Great stuff Mist. Thank you.

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it man, and your shop is cleaner than most of the knife shops I get to hang out in when attempting to make prototypes. Eh, I wish I had the skill to turn steel and wood into highly functional works of art :) Maybe one day I can come down and go over some things with Ken to help out with that.

Just kidding man, although it did feel a bit like watching a documentary when going through your post :thumbup:

lol, I thought it might be some fancy analysing thingie, I was hoping it wasn't a phone :rolleyes:

Blowing it off make sense, another scandi buckeye burl HB doesn't, lol

& no worries, I actually forgot to include the second pic initially so I had to edit my post, my bad.

Thanks again!

Well...as a kid I did watch a lot more documentaries and nature films than television... :)

Hmmm...I think most handle configs get repeated eventually.

Ah cool, I thought it may have just been lac of sleep on my part :)

Glad you enjoyed the post man!

Outstanding write up Mist. A very insightful piece. I always appreciate your work.

Allow me to offer you a "Standing O" for a great compilation Brian......you've offered us a wonderful insight into the amazing process that Andy & Crew follow to bring Fiddleback Forge knives to life. I use the word "life" purposefully since anyone who has ever held & used one knows they have a soul.

Allow me to offer you a "Standing O" for a great compilation Brian......you've offered us a wonderful insight into the amazing process that Andy & Crew follow to bring Fiddleback Forge knives to life. I use the word "life" purposefully since anyone who has ever held & used one knows they have a soul.

Thank you very much Peter. And yes, I agree. I felt it in the first one I used, and have all others since.

Loved some of the rare sights like the box of already glued up scales/liners and the shot with the pins and bullseye waiting to be glued to the blade.

Thanks for doing it in pics and not video. Some of us still prefer the old mediums.

Best. Thread. Ever. Incredible job, seriously I'm speechless and/or overtired, but thank you for putting so much into this

Don't know the point of that other thread, your posts and pictures are always a welcomed distraction. When they are here, I don't have to venture out looking for them.

I often wonder the process that goes into the knives that I have come to admire so much so I do thank you for covering it so well.

I can imagine those images of Andy/Ken on the computer were the same faces they had reading some of the forum posts this morning lol.

Some serious Dre Mixr headphones - what's on The Man's playlist each day while grinding away: George Straight, Hank Williams Jr., AC/DC, 2Pac, Brittany Spears?

This is an awesome testament to the dedication and hard work that Andy and the crew put into making these functional works of art.

Your photos are amazing Brian! You added just the right amount of text to tell the story while letting the pictures tell the rest. This is an epic accomplishment that is a testament to your dedication to your craft. Amazing!!

This is my favorite thread ever on this sub-forum. I recommend that it should be made a sticky for easy reference.

Thanks Brian!

Phil

Absolutely phenomenal Brian. I really felt like I was reading a magazine article rather than a forum thread. Extremely well done start to finish, thank you..

Back