The Road To Fiddleback Friday: How The Knives Are Made (Photo Heavy)

Hat's off to you sir, truly awesome post!!!

Thank you very much C2, I'm glad you enjoyed the post that much!!

Wonderful job Mist of capturing the essence of Andy's work.
My Fiddlebacks just have a special mojo when I pick them up, now I know why.

I have said that about these knives ever since the first one I handled, and that was exactly what I saw a chance to illustrate as I looked through the photos on the monitor.

That was the same thing I said when I came to the forum today. Thanks man, glad you like it!

Just be careful Mist, there's only one place your threads could from here- PLAID!!!

[video=youtube_share;NP6DXoNKITc]http://youtu.be/NP6DXoNKITc[/video]

Glad to see Andy made this a sticky Brian. Exceptional job! I am really digging what is coming out of the ammo can. Spalted goodness!

Glad to see Andy made this a sticky Brian. Exceptional job! I am really digging what is coming out of the ammo can. Spalted goodness!

Thank you Walt, I'm glad you liked the post. I have to admit that I am glad too. It was definitely one of the most complex photo shoots I have ever done. In order to capture it the way I wanted to capture it, it the available lighting without interfering with the flow of the magic, I was the only one in the room not wearing a respirator. So all of it was shot while having to hold my body in odd positions, shooting over people's shoulders, and under their arms, climbing up on objects, leaning under others, and shooting between others still, all while holding my breath. It was definitely one of the most challenging undertakings I've done photographically speaking. There were a total of 4,000 images taken in the process, and I was glad to see it all come together the way I wanted to present it.

I added a few photos of the final sharpening into the original thread, but didn't reserve enough space for them all. More will be posted on the Fiddleback Forge website, but I thought I'd post a few more here as well.

FS-1_zps051e86af.jpg

FS-2_zps338b76ad.jpg

FS-3_zpsa8ccacbb.jpg

FS-4_zps0f150e68.jpg

FS-5_zps3561bc35.jpg

FS-6_zpsdcdcbe82.jpg

FS-7_zpsbfe7b477.jpg

FS-8_zps6049f947.jpg

FS-9_zps2baa76a2.jpg

FS-10_zpsa92070e0.jpg

Nice new pics Mist! I think it's great you keep adding photo's to this thread to keep it interesting :thumbup:

Knife-making looks a pretty dangerous though, I can imagine too many bad scenarios if the knife got away from your hands and thrown towards you by the force of that spinning wheel :eek:

Ours only got to two pages , would like to see a few put up over here ..........im missing a camp knife from my collection.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?88552-First-Scandi-s/page2&highlight=fiddleback

I'd love to post more photos over there. In fact I have an entire album I set aside dedicated to a post on BB. But the last time I was there posting pics I was admonished for posting a photo thread and so I have to study how to go about it without ticking off the admin... I'll find a few special pics and add them :)

Nice new pics Mist! I think it's great you keep adding photo's to this thread to keep it interesting :thumbup:

Knife-making looks a pretty dangerous though, I can imagine too many bad scenarios if the knife got away from your hands and thrown towards you by the force of that spinning wheel :eek:

Thanks GB, I think there may be a few at a time added from here, but not many.

I'm only 5 months late to this post. Regardless, I have to say you really did an amazing job! Thank you for taking the time to put together such a professional visual representation of how the knives are made. It really speaks to the amount of time and skill that goes into making the knives we all love. Very much appreciated.
Lance

Back