The Road To Fiddleback Friday: How The Knives Are Made (Photo Heavy)

I love going through this thread with my 6 year old son. Amazing how much goes into making one of these gems.

I love going through this thread with my 6 year old son. Amazing how much goes into making one of these gems.

Yes, there are a lot of steps. It took a few days to capture them all as well as I could.

That must have taken you some time to put together, nice job man :thumbup:

It's really nice to see how my most coveted items on the planet are born, Andy must be proud.

Video next time?
pokingwithsticksmileyem.gif
;)

I still haven't gotten into video yet, but this remains my fav documentary I've done so far :)

What isn't really obvious in these photos is that all of them were taken from further away than anyone likely realizes...at least 12 to 15 feet and in some cases double and triple that, in low light, and not using any auto settings except the auto focus a lot of the time on this shoot. I stayed back as far as I could and still get the shot to keep from interfering with them as they were doing their work

Photo Bucket and i finally parted ways last year over their insane pricing, which is why all the images now have their watermark over them. Every time someone new acquires PB, or power there, the first thing they do is raise their prices to see how high they can get away with, without massive amounts of people leaving, and every time lots of people leave...

I still have most of these images (the final sharpening images were lost in a computer crash and need to be re-shot), so I can re-host them on Fotki and re-do the post and lose the PB watermark now. However it cannot be done exactly the same because Kevin has changed platforms for BF since I did this post.

So I can fix it in one of two ways.

Option one leaves the commentary in the thread. I just have to cut out some of the images and get them down to the best 20 images per post, and it is an image-heavy post to start with so that's not a horrible option.

Or, to leave all the images in the post would require re-writing it entirely and then losing all the original discussion that went with it.

Well, it took a while to get back to it... my life was moving too fast the last few years for me to have the mind power to devote to re-working this thread with half the original images it had as required by the new forum protocols, after photobucket and I parted ways. But things have finally settled down some, so I thought I should take a couple of hours and re-work this thread to make it functional again.

Last edited:
Well, it took a while to get back to it... my life was moving too fast the last few years for me to have the mind power to devote to re-working this thread with half the original images it had as required by the new forum protocols, after photobucket and I parted ways. But things have finally settled down some, so I thought I should take a couple of hours and re-work this thread to make it functional again.
Looking forward to it !

Looking forward to it !
The pictures are already back in place. I just had to pick the 20 or less per post that I felt best illustrated the original text that went with them, and leave out the ones that were the most redundant. All you have to do is go back to the first page and scroll down to see them.

Video next time?
pokingwithsticksmileyem.gif
;)
I'm sorry I didn't answer this at the time, ny whole life was in a state of turmoil back then.

Under those circumstances, lighting, shop layout, crew movement, etc.. I would have never been able to pull this off in video. In order to be as unobtrusive as possible and capture things in their natural environment and normal flow, I was always several feet away from my subjects I was capturing. shooting with a 300mm lens and using manual settings. So I could stop the motion and get clear images while still pulling in enough light to show the subject of each shot acurately. All of them knew I was there taking pictures, but the vast majority of the time they never realized I was taking shots of them when I was.

Back