The " Roosters " are crowing for the " Farmers"

I agree Will , that is my favorite of the bone handles. Glad you got one John.

D4F902BE-6A5A-43C3-B019-489D676A5E5C.jpeg

Randy it’s Stiltner WV. The mailing address of that little house on the label, now mostly resting under the East Lynn Lake. I hope to be able to use it again.

Last edited:
Thanks Lyle. Nice info too :)

I think the bone looks a little similar to this type on a burly QCCC Teardrop. Except this has no wormgrooves or 'trails' of course;)

Au9e2Lj.jpg

Pressed stag Simmons Hardware hornet series. Their hornet knives were manufactured mostly overseas in Germany, although I can see no mark of country of origin. I expect this one is before WWI ?

What we call pressed stag, so far = overseas.Resembles the Wostenholm (although it's not a Wostenholm) pictured ( top) together in the first scan.

Simmons Hardware517.jpg Simmons Hardware514.jpg Simmons Hardware 1.jpg Simmons Hardware 2.jpg

I agree Will , that is my favorite of the bone handles. Glad you got one John.

View attachment 1046880

Randy it’s Stiltner WV. The mailing address of that little house on the label, now mostly resting under the East Lynn Lake. I hope to be able to use it again.
Wait a second. Did I miss something? Is this a future knife? Perhaps a SFO based on the upcoming 86 pattern?

Pressed stag Simmons Hardware hornet series. Their hornet knives were manufactured mostly overseas in Germany, although I can see no mark of country of origin. I expect this one is before WWI ?

What we call pressed stag, so far = overseas.Resembles the Wostenholm (although it's not a Wostenholm) pictured ( top) together in the first scan.

View attachment 1073611 View attachment 1073612 View attachment 1073613 View attachment 1073614

That Simmons is a beauty Lyle, glad you got it. The pressed stag was used by German and English cutlers both wasn't it. Always amazes me how such an old knife can survive in such great condition.

Thanks for all the nice comments fellas.

That Simmons is a beauty Lyle, glad you got it. The pressed stag was used by German and English cutlers both wasn't it. Always amazes me how such an old knife can survive in such great condition.
Yes John, but no one has been able to show an example manufactured in the USA for some reason?
So far I've not found in all my knives one knife matching this knife's framework. Not Boker, Henckels,Wostenholm, or any US manufacturer for that matter??

No country of origin does not always preclude all knives manufactured after 1890, as some were for European consumption only. However,we know Simmons Hardware knives were not manufactured for European markets.

Last edited:
Great pickup on the Farmers Jack Lyle, another beauty- what are you seeing so different in this Frame compared to your others?

The major difference in them shows in the small bolster. Without micrometering them, sometimes the only visible difference is the small bolster. It reveals the subtle difference in the wharncliffe frame designs. Some small bolsters are more squared, wider , etc.

Just compare it with the Wostenholm in the scan above, notice the blockier and shorter Wostenholm small bolster.The Simmons frame is slightly curvier , like a NYK frame, not exactly like one though.

I noticed this one has the 1800s or early type spey blade.

Last edited:
Thats interesting you say that Lyle, I was going to ask if the Frame was more "Serpentine" than the other, but in all honesty I stopped myself from asking that in embarrassment of getting things wrong - as I do.

I like those possum skinners Mat. Unique blade.

Thanks on the Simmons. I suppose it’s German, only because of most being stamped Germany. It’s length is similar to most Mat. I’ll have to lay more out for comparison.

Last edited:
Thank you Lyle!
So the length will be around 4 inches, a little bit bigger than the GEC models?

That’s correct buddy. I think I might have found one the frame matches, I need to further review. I don’t have any picture comparisons yet.

Back