The " Roosters " are crowing for the " Farmers"

Only conjecture, blade is a Sheepfoot type with straight edge for those wanting such a thing. It could've been a made to order type as it displays quality, that Stag:cool: Bar shield is inlet very nicely and the whole knife looks sleeker than the usual Farmer. Landed Gentry Farmer:D Fantastic example.

I saw a 38 Lick Creek in ebony on this web site the other day. Tried to get it but the bid went out to over $250......:(
These have become more scarce as a few years have passed since intro.

Only conjecture, blade is a Sheepfoot type with straight edge for those wanting such a thing. It could've been a made to order type as it displays quality, that Stag:cool: Bar shield is inlet very nicely and the whole knife looks sleeker than the usual Farmer. Landed Gentry Farmer:D Fantastic example.
I also think it was a morphed blade, as Maher and Grosh offered a similar pruning and budding knife.
I saw a 38 Lick Creek in ebony on this web site the other day. Tried to get it but the bid went out to over $250......:(
These have become more scarce as a few years have passed since intro.
Wish I had those 75 to sell now. :)

Got a very rare knife. It is the only " farmers whittler" or nursery whittler as Holley calls this pattern that I collect. I have 3 other English farmers whittlers and I know Sheffield maker Thomas Turner made one too, maybe more Sheffield made.

This Holley is the only American version I've heard of.Holleys are rare, farmers jacks are rare, and whittlers ( split spring) with pruning masters are rarer. Thanks JohnR for alerting me and not making me bid higher. :DHolley farmers whittler550.jpg Holley farmers whittler551.jpg Holley farmers whittler564.jpg Holley 1915  catalog  262.jpg Holley farmers whittler566.jpg

The frame on the whittler is 18.2mm and the frame on the FJ is 17.5mm at their tallest heights. ?? I imagine the difference is one is the standard frame for the nurseryman and the whittler uses Holley's big wharncliffe frame.??

Got a very rare knife. It is the only " farmers whittler" or nursery whittler as Holley calls this pattern that I collect. I have 3 other English farmers whittlers and I know Sheffield maker Thomas Turner made one too, maybe more Sheffield made.

This Holley is the only American version I've heard of.Holleys are rare, farmers jacks are rare, and whittlers ( split spring) with pruning masters are rarer. Thanks JohnR for alerting me and not making me bid higher. :DView attachment 1262310 View attachment 1262313 View attachment 1262314 View attachment 1262315 View attachment 1262316

The frame on the whittler is 18.2mm and the frame on the FJ is 17.5mm at their tallest heights. ?? I imagine the difference is one is the standard frame for the nurseryman and the whittler uses Holley's big wharncliffe frame.??

Lyle that looks fantastic, much better than the sellers pictures. I should have bid on it:):):):):). Seriously, glad you got it!

A catalog cut of Thomas Turners version. I would think there are others. A Clements , which I suspect has DNA from Turners ,whether factory or one of the Mills trained from Turner. The better stag one has two pen blades ,the other two have a budding and pen secondaries. They are also very early stainless.Thomas Turner gardeners jpg.jpg Clements from John Lloyd774.jpg Clements pearl farmers whittler782.jpg Clements stag farmers whittler M Losico786.jpg Clements pearl farmers whittler783.jpg

wlfryjr wlfryjr That Stag speaks volumes and interesting as Barehead, I always assumed this pattern was double-bolster, glad to be wrong:cool:

I've a question about that fascinating Turner catalogue you show, it says Cutlers to His Majesty's Services, meaning Army&Royal Navy I suppose? Other warranty with different cutlers sometimes just say Cutler to Her/His Majesty so that too is of interest and when do you date that catalogue? Looks very early c20th to me so it must be King Edward VII 1901-10 or his son GeoV 1910-36 and his reign witnessed the end of the Golden Era of Sheffield knives basically ending with The Great War 1914-18.

The Gardener's Knife in Stag No.3852 these knives and the other examples appear to have prices after them in Shillings (using the 'old' pre decimal British currency before 1971, 12 Pennies to a Shilling, 20 Shillings to a Pound) that used an abbreviation /- If so, these are the costly models with Stag coming in cheapest at 48 Shillings, Ivories 66-69 Shillings and top of the range MOP coming in at an eye-watering 90 Shillings That's around 2 Pounds 8 Shillings, 3 Pounds 6 Shilling to 4 Pounds 10 shillings. Note that a Pound then was one gold Sovereign of 22c and quarter ounce as all Europe used gold currency before 1915. If this is the price of one knife it shows they really were expensive, US knives are often shown as costing per dozen though, maybe it's 48 Shillings a dozen too? I'm not too sure about average wages of ordinary people in Britain then but I think many, many families had to exist on less than 1.75 Pounds a week. A British Bobby, policeman was paid 80 Pounds per annum in 1910 as an example.

Thanks, Will

Last edited:
Will,
I’ve seen a couple of shadow pattern farmers jacks (atypical). Schrade is one and Taylors Eye Witness ( not my knife, wish it were) the other.

Schrade  RS7304W468.jpg Taylors Eye Witness a (3).JPG

The catalog comes from the 1st page or so of the sticky, although photobucket now is restricted viewing. Could be either King I think, time period is right.This from my T Turner I posted;

Thomas Turner074.jpg

I thought about buying that one , it's a great knife . I sent Roland a text about it, as he was asking me about the price on a lesser one.

Glad you all ended up with it. I think it 's not only a beauty, but you got it right.

I thought about buying that one , it's a great knife . I sent Roland a text about it, as he was asking me about the price on a lesser one.

Glad you all ended up with it. I think it 's not only a beauty, but you got it right.

Thanks Lyle, I had it in my watch list and the seller sent out a fairly significant price reduction offer so I decided to buy it.

Were the Wostenholm's the last of the Farmers Jack pattern made before you had GEC do yours?

Timeline.I’m guessing.
latest to earlier:
GECs 2015

Queen Titusvilles by Lynn Watkins 2009

These next three I’m really guessing.
Lockwood Bros ( mark purchased) old blades and parts, new handles ?
Schrade probably could be ?
Wostenholm?

Lovely French Ivory Lyle. It seems to be one of the celluloids least likely to outgas, in my slender experience. What do you think?

I’ve never seen an example of French ivory gassing and only heard of it from one person.

When you’ve seen the effects, it’s hard to trust any though.

Sorry, I thought I had posted this before, but I must not have sent it. ;)

tMDkPsr.jpg

A nice pocket knife and a good dog. Perfect companions for a person in the woods Trav.
wlfryjr wlfryjr Thanks. A few months later and I am carrying the same knife and walking the same dogs at the same park across the street. Only difference is now I am walking the dogs 3-4 times a day while waiting out this Covid-19 quarantine.
NUcxp7Z.jpg

Last edited:
Back