The SAK Pioneer awl is useless.

I am in an urban environment and I don't carry my Electrician or Farmer very often, but that awl is something that I like having for heavier tasks. My SAK of choice (other than the Manager on my keychain) is a small Tinker in my bag. The Philips screwdriver is more likely to be useful to have on hand than either type of awl for me. My actual pocketknife is usually a single blade for routine tasks (mail, packages, food).

I use mine (awl) for getting knots undone on monofilament fishing line. Answers the question every time... should I cut the line or try to get the knot loosened up? ;)

I don't use the awl outside my house that much honestly, but I find it much more useful than something that makes fabulous fingernails.

The nice part (one) about the awl/punch is that you’re getting a chisel blade, in addition to your normal one. These types of grinds excel at heavier use, in all the previously mentioned ways, and can be made razor sharp, fairly easily. Anything you might be nervous using your main blade for, try the awl. In truth, depending on size, you could effectively core the apple yer eating. The uses for it are endless, but probably best discovered by yourself. Try some of the things mentioned by others-you may find that using it for one task will naturally lead you to other opportunities for it. Or get a cadet.
Thanks, Neal

In truth, depending on size, you could effectively core the apple yer eating. The uses for it are endless, but probably best discovered by yourself. Try some of the things mentioned by others-you may find that using it for one task will naturally lead you to other opportunities for it.

Good point, Neal, and this is one of the things I like best about the Pioneer tool set, and SAKs in general. While they increase your capability to perform many everyday tasks, they also encourage an inventive approach to problem solving.

I was out camping recently with friends and when we needed to check the jacket potatoes baking in foil in the campfire coals for doneness, well that was an obvious job for the awl.

The next time I was prepping baked potatoes in their jackets, I thought 'why not use the awl to bore a few holes out all over the spuds and put a sliver of garlic and bacon in each one.'

Yep it was delicious, and I found another use for my awl.;):thumbsup:

As mentioned earlier, I like to use the awl to open boxes. That way I don't end up with all the tape goo on the main blade.

I love having the awl, especially at the end of the tool. Its tip is more precise for detail work than the can opener. I work with some devices that have tiny switches that need a small tool to adjust, and the awl fits perfectly.

In addition to carrying my Pioneer, I always have a keychain sized multitool on me - typically either a Vic Classic, or a Leatherman Squirt. Both of those already have a file, so the Cadet's file is redundant.

The most vital urban job a SAK awl ever did for me is add a hole to a belt as I either get fatter or skinnier. It makes a good scraper too or if you need to poke something hot. I don't like scraping with my blade if I can avoid it.

I'm rarely in an "urban" setting ...small town at best ... but mostly rural or what some may consider wilderness ... and the awl has been used many time in many ways ... I guess most SAKs or multitools there are some tools that you will use far more then others ... and some tools that 5 out of 10 people will never use ...

But the nice thing about a SAK you have so many options to pick the model that best fits your needs.

Used awl to punch/cut new belt hole. Also it makes a great nail/screw starter and a scribe from cutting wood, etc.
Rich

I just remembered this from years ago. A brass air fitting broke off leaving the threaded part on the regulator. I pushed my awl in real snug and just unscrewed it. An inline awl would've worked easier, but got the job done anyway.

As far as"urban" EDC uses go most of the tools in the SAKs will rarely see any use aside from the main cutting blade. The Secretary model with its two blades would work fine in an urban type environment. Now when you step outside of city limits the variety of tools can be a big help. Awls, screwdrivers, saws etc. are very handy to have when tinkering around with woodworking, farm chores, field and woods,even hunting. If you truly don't want the tools why not select a model without them ?

As far as"urban" EDC uses go most of the tools in the SAKs will rarely see any use aside from the main cutting blade. The Secretary model with its two blades would work fine in an urban type environment. Now when you step outside of city limits the variety of tools can be a big help. Awls, screwdrivers, saws etc. are very handy to have when tinkering around with woodworking, farm chores, field and woods,even hunting. If you truly don't want the tools why not select a model without them ?
You don't need to be outside the city to use most of the tools. I've openned many beers with the screwdriver.
But seriously, My Spartan works great for many different chores at home and at work. I think OP is let down that he doesn't have a use for all the tools everyday. Myself, if I only need a tool once a year, well then I'd like to be ready for whatever once a year task arrives. For the most part all the tools get used over time.

We must live in very different cities!

I've lived most of my life in urban or suburban environments, and I've found more use for the tools in a city than in the woods. In the city, we're surrounded by stuff held together by screws of some sort or another. The tools on my SAK get used more in the city than out in the boonies, simple because there are more things in the city to use those tools on. Loose door hinges, light switch covers that need replacing when the batter half decides she likes the fancier ones for the newly painted bathroom. Or using the can opener hook that makes for a great staple remover when doing paper work. Or using the awl to make some starter holes when mounting a new shelf in the garage. The SAK saw comes in very handy in the garden.

As for the secretary, it's out of production and generally not available so that's a very moot point. If I'm out camping or fishing, I have a sheathed Buck woodsman on my belt for the outdoor stuff. A SAK is an outstanding city knife.

SAK's tools can come in handy at times; I live in a fairly rural area, so when out and about around yard gear, outbuildings and woods, they can save you some time and effort. Not having to go back and search for tools to accomplish a minor task is good. When in the house, I rarely use the tools on the SAKs as there is a small toolbox handy that is full of multiple screwdrivers, pliars, channellocks, wrenches, wire strippers, punches, electric test meter, etc. My favorite Victorinox was the Pioneer Harvester and it saw quite a bit of use at work but I eventually lost it. Need to get another; those saws work great!

I also lost the last I bought, the Alox Electrician. Probably never see it again as I have no idea when I used it last and where. Was tinkering on knives one day and thought about it, looked through my knives and......nothing. :(

Another good thread as I learned something new when comparing the awls (reamers) on some of my SAKs. I've used the awl on Old Red (+34-year-old Climber), but liked seeing some of the "new" usages (to me) described in this thread. Probably the best use for me has been to (very carefully) loosen those pesky shoelace knots. I'm really good at making those most tight and frustrating.

But I found that mostly this Climber awl has been a little hard to use since it is positioned when opened "mid-handle" and not at the end of the handles. I checked the silver Alox Farmer I got last year, and also the limited edition Alox Pioneer (olive green) I just got last month. Both have the awl positioned at end of handle. That is much easier to work with, and for my large hands, less chance of cutting my middle finger when holding the Climber. I can see more use for these newer SAK awls down the road, especially for scraping & cutting. It may have been a long time before I noticed this difference if I hadn't gone through this thread.

As far as EDC (actually EDUse is a cool term), I wouldn't get along very well without a SAK in my pocket. It may not be used every day, but it is there whenever needed. Although my overall selection/collection of knives is not large in numbers, the SAKs are in the lead....and will stay there!

Another good thread as I learned something new when comparing the awls (reamers) on some of my SAKs. I've used the awl on Old Red (+34-year-old Climber), but liked seeing some of the "new" usages (to me) described in this thread. Probably the best use for me has been to (very carefully) loosen those pesky shoelace knots. I'm really good at making those most tight and frustrating.

But I found that mostly this Climber awl has been a little hard to use since it is positioned when opened "mid-handle" and not at the end of the handles. I checked the silver Alox Farmer I got last year, and also the limited edition Alox Pioneer (olive green) I just got last month. Both have the awl positioned at end of handle. That is much easier to work with, and for my large hands, less chance of cutting my middle finger when holding the Climber. I can see more use for these newer SAK awls down the road, especially for scraping & cutting. It may have been a long time before I noticed this difference if I hadn't gone through this thread.

As far as EDC (actually EDUse is a cool term), I wouldn't get along very well without a SAK in my pocket. It may not be used every day, but it is there whenever needed. Although my overall selection/collection of knives is not large in numbers, the SAKs are in the lead....and will stay there!

Even more effective than the awl on knots is the Climber corkscrew. I've gotten faster results with that than with the awl. In fact, it is my main use for the corkscrew. In more than 30 years, I have not needed a SAK corkscrew for that purpose but only three times ever, but have pried loose shoelace, apron and other tight knots countless times, most recently yesterday. Works great. Give it a try next time.

Will do & thanks, znapschatz. I'll give it a go for the next knot that shows up. It would be kind of interesting if someone were to write a book (maybe someone has already) and gather all the countless uses for SAKs and Victorinox multi-tools, too. Must be a lot out there. That would be a cool read.

Even more effective than the awl on knots is the Climber corkscrew. I've gotten faster results with that than with the awl. In fact, it is my main use for the corkscrew. In more than 30 years, I have not needed a SAK corkscrew for that purpose but only three times ever, but have pried loose shoelace, apron and other tight knots countless times, most recently yesterday. Works great. Give it a try next time.

Back